FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these Superchips? I am intrigued by their claims. I have a Milan I4 automatic, If all I got was better throttle response, a little more jump and gas mileage I would be happy. However, I am a little skeptical and I can't get myself to part with the $$$ the BAMA chips go for from Jusnes Modified (although I think they would work fine). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I defiantly recommend the Jusnes Modified Xcal. I have one and I love it. Much better throttle response and maybe 1-2 mpg increase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dude, quit being so damn cheap, spend the money and you wont regret it. If you want more power and milage the X2 is the best way to go, you cannot achieve the same results with anything else for the price. I may have been overly harsh but it is reality.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No one is questioning if the X2 is the best. It is a simple equation.
Available dollars = bang for the buck. Where bang for the buck competes with spoilers, fog lights, stereo etc. If it was just "spend the money" I would not have bought this car or I would have at least bought the V6. So unless you want to kick into the slateracing-eiching1 car fund.... the question was "Does anyone have any experience with these Superchips?"

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=70053.msg1222957#msg1222957 date=1172114106]
"Does anyone have any experience with these Superchips?"
[/quote]

I don't think you can get a "superchip" for the fusion.... Thats for the older OBD1 cars. All the tuning has to be done with a unit like the Xcal.

BTW
Superchips makes the Xcal

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
That add is very misleading. The below quote is right off that link. I think that add is 100% wrong!

Anyone else have opinions?

. In 1996 OBDII ECU stopped using chips and you must reprogram the ECU using special software

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
my whole thing is $400 plus or a tuner. I would be looking at it mainly for MPG and better performance as a bonus. Now if you get 2 MPG more with this how long would it take before it paid for itself. I have been out of math class to long and cannot remember how to figure that up or maybe it just to to late at nite :?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Chris06. How about the oxygen sensor chip? That just looks like it fools the computer and would use more gas.

slate assume 15,000 miles/year, 24 miles/gallon, 2.00/gallon= $1,250.00/year

vs.

15,000 miles/year, 26 miles/gallon, 2.00 gallon= $1,154.00/year

so savings = $100/year adjust for your mileage. more mileage/higher gas price = more savings. My mileage woud give me about $130.00/year

Also, this assumes a 2 mpg increase, a 1 mpg increase cuts that in half.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=70053.msg1223092#msg1223092 date=1172116242]
Thanks Chris06. How about the oxygen sensor chip? That just looks like it fools the computer and would use more gas.

slate assume 15,000 miles/year, 24 miles/gallon, 2.00/gallon= $1,250.00/year

vs.

15,000 miles/year, 26 miles/gallon, 2.00 gallon= $1,154.00/year

so savings = $100/year adjust for your mileage. more mileage/higher gas price = more savings. My mileage woud give me about $130.00/year

Also, this assumes a 2 mpg increase, a 1 mpg increase cuts that in half.

[/quote]

And that being said the bang for the buck just is not there for me. That would take 4 years for it to pay for itself.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am right with you even at three years if I get the 2 mpg increase. Now if we could spread the payments out over three/four years with no interest.....

·
Registered
702 Posts
but take into the fact that you are getting better fuel milage and getting better throttle response, and a little bit more power. my question is, can you raise the top speed limiter with that programmer?

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have no personal experience with the "SUPERCHIP' module but the performance claims made by its manufacturer do not seem to be in accord with the price of the product. I own a 2006 Fusion SEL V-6 and I can vouchsafe for the effectiveness of the SCT X-Calibrator 2 sold by Bob Jusnes. The tuner, a handheld device, contains up to three discreet tunes that are downloaded through the ECM port inside the car. The interface is simple and the download is accomplished within minutes.
The results are dramatic: my car accelerates more enthusiastically with gear changes effected at the appropriate times; no more "laggy" downshifts. The car is far more pleasurable to drive at all speeds. These are my capsule impressions of the effects of the 87 'performance' tune,
the tunes requiring higher octane gasoline will yield more dramatic results. My car has suffered no ill effects as a result of these modifications. I am completely satisfied with the X-Calibrator 2 and would recommend your patronage of 'Jusnes Modified' for your performance needs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
First, those are NOT superchips. Second, there is absolutely no way I would use one of those of my car. It is very similar to the cheap performance chips you see listed all over Ebay. Besides, you can't tune these cars with a chip, only a flash tuner.

That oxygen sensor "chip" is really scary. The oxygen sensor is what the PCM uses to keep your car running properly, and monitor the A/F ratio. This "chip" might actually give more power, and increased mileage, but it will do it by tricking the PCM into making your car run lean. Not safe for the engine at all.

Also, neither of these will do anything to change the ETC setup, so throttle lag, shift lag, and so on will be the same as stock.

My advice, stay away from these types of things. They ONLY safe way to tune these cars is with a flash tuner with tunes loaded by an experienced tuner. If you don't want to spend that much money, just leave the tuning stock.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is kind of what I was thinking. But was hoping someone had actual experience with maybe the O2 sensor. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=hwm3 link=topic=70053.msg1223601#msg1223601 date=1172153466]
First, those are NOT superchips. Second, there is absolutely no way I would use one of those of my car. It is very similar to the cheap performance chips you see listed all over Ebay. Besides, you can't tune these cars with a chip, only a flash tuner.

That oxygen sensor "chip" is really scary. The oxygen sensor is what the PCM uses to keep your car running properly, and monitor the A/F ratio. This "chip" might actually give more power, and increased mileage, but it will do it by tricking the PCM into making your car run lean. Not safe for the engine at all.

Also, neither of these will do anything to change the ETC setup, so throttle lag, shift lag, and so on will be the same as stock.

My advice, stay away from these types of things. They ONLY safe way to tune these cars is with a flash tuner with tunes loaded by an experienced tuner. If you don't want to spend that much money, just leave the tuning stock.
[/quote]

:goodjob: :goodjob: well said!

·
Registered
47 Posts
well let me tell you that yes it going to take a long time to gain back the 400 you spent on the tuner, but i just cant imagine going back to the stock settings. i also have a manual 4 banger and i think the automatic would benefit more due to higher and firmer shifts. Even between the 87 perf and 91 perf settings there is a big difference. Once i tried high test i didn't want to go back. The best tool you have for gaining MPG is putting your foot on a diet.....good luck with that once you test your X2. I also would like to add a spoiler, wheels and a little bit of audio goodies but the X2 was first on my list

·
Registered
440 Posts
Right, there are many products out there than increase your fuel mileage, and any one of them would take years to pay for themselves in fuel costs alone.

Our tuners main purpose is to increase the performance and driveability of your car. They make your car FUN to drive. We do this by making your engine run more efficiently. Not by "tricking" sensors or pushing the mechanical limits, but by trimming the fat off the stock ecm tuning. This makes your car respond more actively and perform better, and a side product of a more efficient engine is also increased fuel mileage.

We dont market them for the sole purpose of fuel efficiency, because that would be ridiculous. The fact is, you WILL get better throttle response, you WILL get an easier and more fun to drive car, and you WILL feel the increased power. The price is something each person has to individually decide to pay for those improvements, but our tuner IS the best bang for the buck out there, and we do stand behind it 100%

1 - 20 of 33 Posts