FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys I have been talking to Stillen about a possible supercharger for the I-4 and they have shown a bit of interest but I need to find 10 people that are willing to buy one if one was put through R&D and then past into production. It is a hard process to get them interested in it but if I can show them there is interest in it then I should be able to use some talking skills to get them to make this a full time venture. They have shown some interest in the fusion but nothing past the Street Scene body kit and grills and such.

Tell me how many of you would buy a supercharger and I will do my best to get them to see the interest in it. But I can't promise much as of now.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=dogma555 link=topic=96128.msg1889902#msg1889902 date=1196533601]
So guys I have been talking to Stillen about a possible supercharger for the I-4 and they have shown a bit of interest but I need to find 10 people that are willing to buy one if one was put through R&D and then past into production. It is a hard process to get them interested in it but if I can show them there is interest in it then I should be able to use some talking skills to get them to make this a full time venture. They have shown some interest in the fusion but nothing past the Street Scene body kit and grills and such.

Tell me how many of you would buy a supercharger and I will do my best to get them to see the interest in it. But I can't promise much as of now.
[/quote]

Hi dogma555. :wavey: Just some information. And please understand that it is only meant to help. Superchargers on 4 cylinder cars (for street use) are not normally a good idea.

There are very good reasons why you will usually see Turbocharger units (not Superchargers) used in 4 cylinder applications. Superchargers normally cause a relatively high parasitic loss of engine power in normal day to day (street) use. Your average four cylinder engine (like the Fusion's), is relatively low powered. The loss in everyday, part throttle power will drive you nuts. This everyday power loss will not be as obvious in a more powerful (6 or 8 cylinder) engine That is why you will usually see Superchargers used in V-8 and larger 6 cylinder applications, not 4 cylinder "street" vehicles.

Turbochargers inherently have much lower to no parasitic power loss, due to the fact that they are powered by the engines exhaust gases, not belts, pulleys, etc, etc. That is why there are not many "Supercharged" four cylinder cars (for street use), but many "Turbocharged" ones.

The advice is free, so feel free to use it or ignore it. Just trying to save you some later grief.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
982 Posts
If the supercharger were directly driven off the engine, I would agree... but in most applications you're not spinning the supercharger 100% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=swooshUSN link=topic=96128.msg1890018#msg1890018 date=1196539233]
If the supercharger were directly drived off the engine, I would agree... but in most applications you're not spinning the supercharger 100% of the time.
[/quote]

Hi swooshusn. :wavey: A true "Supercharger", as opposed to bogus EBay "Electric Superchargers", is directly driven off the engine, usually by belts and pulleys of one sort or another.

Without getting into even more complicated explanations of the mechanical dynamics, most of those belts and pulleys are still being spun 100% of the time when not at full throttle, even if certain parts of the "Supercharger" are disconnected by clutches, etc. Therefore, you have full time parasitic losses of one degree or another 100% of the time. These parasitic losses are more noticeable in lower horsepower, 4 cylinder engines, since they rob a higher percentage of the horsepower available at any particular time.

There are very good reasons why there are very few "Superchargers" on 4 cylinder cars. If it was an efficient way (power or cost wise) to increase engine power, in comparatively lower powered engines, there would be many more applications of supercharging in street use 4 cylinder engines.

The facts speak for themselves. All we need to do is create a list of factory or aftermarket, non-race use "Turbocharged" 4 cylinder engines vs. factory or aftermarket, non-race use "Supercharged" 4 cylinder engines. There are very few (nearly none) for a good reason.

Please understand I am not trying to debate or argue this, only help present the facts.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree, i would like to see a turbo for the fusion. There are turbo kits for the focus and the mazda 6 and 3. We all know they use the same engine and i imagine that someone willing to do a little bit of problem solving could make one of those kits work. As for myself i already have and SCT tuner and would enjoy a turbo along with it. My brother has a 07 Mazda 6 and they look nearly identical. But having said that, it is the things you dont see that give you trouble. There are soo many talks about FI I dont see why someone hasn't addressed the problem yet

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=swooshUSN link=topic=96128.msg1890018#msg1890018 date=1196539233]
If the supercharger were directly drived off the engine, I would agree... but in most applications you're not spinning the supercharger 100% of the time.
[/quote] Superchargers are always spinning with the engine. Turbochargers are always spinning too, only faster when a load is put on the engine. This is why superchargers are known as being "parasitic," it takes engine power to produce power. It's not like there's a supercharger button on the dash you push and it engages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You also have to think about ease of installation for us "do it yourself"ers. We could handle a supercharger kit for a car like ours if we have a little talent, but a turbo requires a good bit of fabrication. Plus why would they supercharge some other four cylinders in the past. The Cobalt (Ion), MR2, Lotus Exige (and a few other Lotus'), and the Mercedes Benz 230 Kompressor just to name a few, are good cars. They wouldn't put a supercharger on there to see what happens, they were production cars. Yeah their engines were set up to have the supercharger, but they could easily figure a way how to get ours to perform well because there are our engines with forced induction in production. Lets just round up some willing buyers so we can get some aftermarket forced induction started on our cars. Then maybe some other companies will see what we are interested in and then there is competition, and as consumers, we love competition (Discounts). If I had the money, I sure as hell would buy a supercharger kit without thinking twice. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd buy one if the following conditions were met(and I'm fine if i loss some low end power):

1. Be under $3k (probably the hardest requirement to meet)
2. I'd want a water to air intercooler
3. must be able to run pump gas(87) most of the time, meaning that I want to be able to run multiple tunes like with bob's sct tuner.
4. Must be able to use on a california emission automatic transmission. Doesn't mean it must pass the sniffer test, just that it fits because cali cars have an extra pump and tubing.

The second two are a must, the price i might be able to fudge on a little bit.

·
Registered
840 Posts
lol, no way you'd be able to run 87 octane w/ a sc.

and, impossible to have it be under 3k.

and theirs like NO ROOM in that engine bay to have a supercharger. its just crammed there.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Well just to bring some light into this topic....we are working on a lot of products that will work on the Fusion, Millan and Zephyer....one of them is a turbocharger and the other is a supercharger. We have two people interested that will be using our kits real soon so stay tuned for that.

There is room for a turbo and a supercharger....

We will also have cold air intakes, headers, Balance shaft delete kits and other items for the cars real soon here....so I will come back and keep you updated...Thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
its good to see you on these forums for a change, rather then just on focaljet. Hopefully you'll come through on this ;D

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=96128.msg1890978#msg1890978 date=1196580445]
lol, no way you'd be able to run 87 octane w/ a sc.

and, impossible to have it be under 3k.

and theirs like NO ROOM in that engine bay to have a supercharger. its just crammed there.
[/quote]

You should be able to run 87 so long as they have different tunes so you can retard the ignition a little bit.

There's plenty of room for a super charger on the I4, way more room then in a Cobalt.

As for the $3k price point, I know it's a little unrealistic, but I'm trying to say that it needs to be affordable. In other words they would be wise to try to make the kit use stock injectors and not new ones as that would save money. Maybe make a two stage kit. One just the supercharger/manifold, then stage 2 might have larger injectors and the intercooler.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If they could come out with a $3500 turbo kit that hits 230 whp i would jump all over it. Every other car with a duratech has a turbo kit, supercharger, or both available for it. I bought the 4 cyl for its efficiency, which is why i want the turbo, its simply more efficient. But now id like the extra 100 horse. So can someone please build a RELIABLE KIT.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Supercharger is something that i have been wanting. if the price is write and teh HP #'s are there i would be happy to order one. are the ones that are being worked on roots style or centrifugal? Also the reason i want a supercharger over turbo is reliablilty. i have done to many turbo cars over the years and when they work they are great but when they do not they suck. superchargers are just more reliable in my exp.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thumbs up for the V6 supercharger (even though I know this is in the I-4 forum)............

Let me know how much and where I need to go and it's DONE, man!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has any if the I-4 guys considered remote mounting a turbo?? It is a lot less piping and tubing that a regular turbo. It is also perfect for the I4 b/c w/ low boost(around 0.5 bar will not need intercooler) you could gain 40% more power. Anymore power and I think other costly upgrades are needed.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=pkoko link=topic=96128.msg1892755#msg1892755 date=1196652211]
Has any if the I-4 guys considered remote mounting a turbo?? It is a lot less piping and tubing that a regular turbo. It is also perfect for the I4 b/c w/ low boost(around 0.5 bar will not need intercooler) you could gain 40% more power. Anymore power and I think other costly upgrades are needed.
[/quote]

i know it has been talked about before. STS makes a univ kit. but the only problem that i can see is that you would have to have a dyno close that can tune or you would run the risk of blowing up the motor. if you buy a ki from someone it will have the tuner and everything in it ready to go.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There is a guy about 70 miles from my house that supposedly can fashion turbo and superchargers for any make and model of vehicle. I have his contact number, but am waiting for a little time to pass (aka the holidays) before I contacted him to ask about it. Supposedly he and his father are in a little mom-and-pop business fashioning super- and turbo- chargers for just about any car. I'm a little scared about this because there isn't one car or make/model that is their specialty.

If it works out, I'll let you guys know....if you need a place to stay while your car is being supercharged, I've got a pretty nice guest bedroom I could let you guys stay in :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
the actual application part isnt hard, its more so the tuning thats the difficult part.

and when i said "theirs no room for a sc" i ment for the v6. for the i4, theirs quite a bit of room where the intake manifold is. and alot of space under it.

but, iim fairly certain you could throw on a duratec focus turbo kit with little to no issues. (maybe intercooler pipping) but again , tunning!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts