FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Mercury Milan I4 Premier with the Premier stock system. Looking to upgrade atleast the 2 front door speakers....headunit and add a amp and sub. Any suggestions on which speakers to choose? Or a headunit. Would like to put a indash dvd dont have a big budget though. Also anyone know of any GOOD spots I can have all of this installed in North Jersey? I dont trust Raycos II on 46. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't have any specific recommendations- although I really like JL Audio equipment. I would suggest component front speakers if you have the budget. Also, I've noticed some rattles from my door, especially around the door handle/window buttons when I crank it up. You may also want to consider some sound absorbing material such as dynomat. Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice ride. I have the same color Milan. How did the Kenwood speakers sound with the stock headunit? The only thing I dont like about the headunit is the setting that turns everything down and evens the sound out. (not sure what the technical term is) When you installed your Kenwoods in the doors did the headunit put out the same restricting sound? I have a 12" Alpine in a ported box and a 600W Kenwood 2 channel amp already from my previous car. Havent found anyone I can trust to install though. I would do it myself but have never done it before.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I think the Kenwoods offer better sound quality and more mid-bass. They probably don't "image" the highs as well, since the tweeters are low in the door and not in the a-pillar. But if you keep the stock tweeters in the a-pillar, you ears will get tired quickly. I ran the Kenwoods without the amp for maybe 2 months, so it's hard for me to remember real well 10 months later.

I wouldn't recommend adding new rear speakers, since they don't really add much. The rears are mostly "fill" and "ambient" sound, so save your $60 and spend it getting your sub/amp installed. That will do much more for your sound than new rear door speakers. Also, I've been told to turn off the "compression" setting on the factory HU. I think it limits your highs and lows since the factory speakers can't really handle them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive read that a lot on here regarding the back speakers. I wasnt planing on changing them. I turned the compression off the day I got my car. I still dont like how it lowers the volume and trys to balance it all out. Definetly not loud enough. Im going to try and get some speakers for the front this weekend. Hopefully get the my amp and box installed also. Ill let you know how it turns out. Will definetly have pics soon. Thanks for the advice though. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated also

·
Registered
221 Posts
have you thought about a 4 channel amp where the front speakers and sub are power of it. this will give you a very nice front stage sound; and save you the cost of another amp just for the sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts