FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lots more info needed. What subs?? who make them?? impediance?? Box type (sealed/ported)?? Anything else in car off amplifier??

More answers. More I can try to help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright there not 500 they are 300 they are JL AUDIO 12W3V2-D4 i got 2 of them they are 4 ohm i just wonder what would power them

·
Registered
359 Posts
You have a few options:

If your subs can handle 2 ohm you can go with a mono (1 channel) amp that handles 2 or 4 ohms. When you run 1 sub on a mono amp you are running 4 ohms. When you run 2 subs on a mono amp you are running 2 ohms. This is how I do mine... my amp is a 600 watt, but when i run two subs at 2 ohms i only get about 180 watts rms for each sub (which is not horrible, but not optimum for my setup)

OR

You can get a 2 channel amp that will handle around 500 watts rms. That means you will be running about 250 watts rms and 4 ohms per channel.

Checkout JL's site here and you can see the graph at the bottom of the page that shows what RMS handeling capabilities you have per sub. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=12

You will see that 250 - 350 rms is optimum for getting the best performance. Yes you can go lower to save money, but like I said in another thread you are getting minimal performance as shown in the graph... I advise to get an amp that can handle a bit more per channel so you don't underpower your speakers, and the graph will show that.

Also here is another better decription of what each color represents on the graph: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=35

Now remember when I say to have an amp that can handle a bit more, I dont mean more than like 25 or 50 watts rms per channel... (325 is in the yellow so you are getting optimum)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice choice on subs :) I had them before. You can give any where 250W (ported) to 350W (sealed). I would reccomend sealed if you are using a generic box. Ported if you are using a custom box. Ported will give louder boomier sound that is good for rap & hip hop. Sealed is good for country & rock. Well those 2 subs each one is dual 4. SO

Option A = 4 ohms.

Option B = 1 ohm

To find a mono amp that is 1 ohm stable & gives less than 800 watts is next to immposible. So I would foccus on Option A or 4 ohm mono load.

This amp matches you subs perfectly. This amp will give you 600W RMS at 4 ohm load. Elemental Designs is an exxcelent company that is not well known because they are not mainsteam. by buying directly from them you save even more $. They also have 5 yr warranty. I highly reccomend them.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=47

Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
sorry i didnt realize they were dual not single... my setup is single so pkoko's diagrams are what you would want to follow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
now that i think about it I think i might purchase one because i want to upgrade to a dual lol... time to spend some money ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=sternyy link=topic=70451.msg1234559#msg1234559 date=1172531110]
now that i think about it I think i might purchase one because i want to upgrade to a dual lol... time to spend some money ;)
[/quote]

dual voice coils just give you more wiring options. It is cheaper to replace the amp than subs. Selling an amp on e-bay is really easy compared to subs. Most people won't touch used subs & I wouldn't as well except if I heard them first. What do you have now??

·
Registered
221 Posts
the JL W3 ($250) sounds very clean and punchy. it is really a good sounding sub but it is not very loud. It is not meant to sound very loud and get attention around you. It complements music nicely and sounds really good at it.

The W6 ($450) is a lot more pricier around 2x the price. It is mean to sound even cleaner than the W3 and get louder. 2 of them will definatley get you attention. you will not win any spl(loudness) awards though; to do than you might need 2-4 W7s ($800-1000) with 1000W each. I still think the W6 sounds better than W7. Considering price, I will always buy W6 as well.

The alpine type x (no idea on price) will get the loudest of the 3. I haven't heard it personally, but heard from others about it. I know it needs a lot of power and is really an SPL sub. I heard anything less than 1000W per sub is a waste of money.

The following sub also compares reasonably with W6. It gets a little louder but it sounds as good as W3. The good thing it is a lot cheaper with 5yr warranty. http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35.

·
Registered
221 Posts
400-600W rms. how to wire it?? how many subs?? what impediance (how many OHM)???

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have two old 12" single coil bazookas... they are about 6 years old which is the main reason why I want to get a new sub. The amp I have is older too but I have never had a problem with it. i have both a dual box and a single box. I currently use the single box: It's ported with a long norrow cutout in front and has a better design with airflow inside (its not just a hole at the top or in front).

So i could:

keep what I have

-OR-

run the 2 x 12's bazookas in parallel with 500rms @ 2ohms (not the best because each sub is ~300 rms and they would be getting around ~250rms and it wastes more trunk space)

-OR-

buy a new sub that can handle 350rms @ 4ohms (which will be better than my current bazooka 12 because its older and not as good as higher ends like JL Audio)

-OR-

buy a sub that can handle 500 rms @ 2ohms by utilizing the dual coil (which is awesome but gonna cost $$$ for a nice sub)

I like the last two

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=newyork2050 link=topic=70451.msg1235480#msg1235480 date=1172555366]
how do you wire one w6 to be 2 ohm
[/quote]

For one sub. buy the D4

For 2 subs- Buy D2

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=sternyy link=topic=70451.msg1235942#msg1235942 date=1172591281]
I have two old 12" single coil bazookas... they are about 6 years old which is the main reason why I want to get a new sub. The amp I have is older too but I have never had a problem with it. i have both a dual box and a single box. I currently use the single box: It's ported with a long norrow cutout in front and has a better design with airflow inside (its not just a hole at the top or in front).

So i could:

keep what I have

-OR-

run the 2 x 12's bazookas in parallel with 500rms @ 2ohms (not the best because each sub is ~300 rms and they would be getting around ~250rms and it wastes more trunk space)

-OR-

buy a new sub that can handle 350rms @ 4ohms (which will be better than my current bazooka 12 because its older and not as good as higher ends like JL Audio)

-OR-

buy a sub that can handle 500 rms @ 2ohms by utilizing the dual coil (which is awesome but gonna cost $$$ for a nice sub)

I like the last two
[/quote]

I assume your subs are single 4 ohm

What is your amp??
If it is a mono block that puts most power at 2 ohm and around 500W RMS:
Run both subs in parallel. Because you are using 2 subs instead of one; output will be a lot heigher. Giving 2 subs 500W rms is better than one getting 350 W RMS. Disadvantage is loss of trunk space.

buy a new sub that handles 500W at 2 ohm:
So you want either single 2 ohm or dual 4. Reccomendations in order of preference:

1- Boston G5s--
I love my Boston G5. They sound real tight and clear and are built like tanks. The minuim reccomended for them 450W RMS--- Max 750 RMS. Boston underates them to sell their SPG555. Before the SPG 555; these were 750W RMS subs or a direct compititor to W7. You can buy them from:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Dobzd5pnMMO/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=065G51244 for $400.
OR
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2546 for $270. I know that wooferetc is a good company and authorized so no e-bay crap.

2- ED 13ov series.
ED are not a mainstream company but have excellent products and great $$/performance ratio. I have their amps and are great. A good place to look for a new amp as well. All their products have 5 yr warranty. I also have their subs in another car. I have the Kv series (lower series) and it sounds a little louder than W3. The Ov series is supposed to match the W6.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35 for $195

2- JL 12w6v2
I heard the W6; and I gave my opinion of it above. I like the sound of the G5 more than the W6. JL is pricey; you pay a lot for the name. Is it a bad sub; absolutley not. Is there better for the money. Absolutley. BTW I know it is rated at 400W RMS; I have heard many off JL500/1 and sound fine. Again wattage doesn't have to perfect; 20% head room is ok. If you will buy it though; buy it from wooferetc again and save tons:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2065 for $380

Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts