FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All :wavey:
I can't afford a Magnaflow system right now with kids and christmas coming up but I would like to change the exhaust tips. I would like to get the 3"/3.5" with beveled edges like the Magnaflow but I'm not sure what size to order? What inlet size do I need and what length will put the new tips in the same place as the old ones? It's a V6 if it matters any. Just want to be absolutely sure before I order. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I am in the same boat with the same paddles. :lol: I am going to get tips because a Magnaflow is definitely out of the question until next year. The stock tips on my I4 look hideous!! Nice wheels and I keep my car clean, but those ugly tips look like turds. So, I guess this question can get responses for both the V6 and I4. :)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=92187.msg1793667#msg1793667 date=1192805045]
I am in the same boat with the same paddles. :lol: I am going to get tips because a Magnaflow is definitely out of the question until next year. The stock tips on my I4 look hideous!! Nice wheels and I keep my car clean, but those ugly tips look like turds. So, I guess this question can get responses for both the V6 and I4. :)
[/quote]

I definitely agree here. My muffler and tips are all discolored and even have some surface rust. Just biding my time until I can get the Magnaflow...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Don't you guys have tape measure or ruler? Do you want weld-on, or bolt-on tips? Bolt-on is obviously the easist and cheapest (DIY). Just measure the outside diameter of your existing exit, and length. Then go to Summit Racing and start searching. Weld-on would look the best, but obviously cost more -- unless you have a welder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Magnaflow tips are 4" with a 2.25" inlet. This is what I did to my car but don't have any pictures yet. I got the ones that are only 4" in length so when you look at it from the side it looks kinda funny but not that bad. You'll have to cut the stock tips off and some of the pipe to make them fit right.

These are the exact ones I got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...ryZ33633QQihZ007QQitemZ170153281394QQtcZphoto

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Tripleblack link=topic=92187.msg1795728#msg1795728 date=1192856072]
The Magnaflow tips are 4" with a 2.25" inlet. This is what I did to my car but don't have any pictures yet. I got the ones that are only 4" in length so when you look at it from the side it looks kinda funny but not that bad. You'll have to cut the stock tips off and some of the pipe to make them fit right.

These are the exact ones I got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...ryZ33633QQihZ007QQitemZ170153281394QQtcZphoto

[/quote]
Thanks for the help. I went yesterday and had them put on. Went to a local shop and lo and behold they carried Magnaflow and had the tips in stock. They put them on for me for $20. They had these and no one had bought them in over a year. I got the set for $30. Not a bad mod for $50! 8)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
instead of the magnaflow cat back just get muffler replacements. Going to cost a ton less get you the same sound and since the pipes from factory are the same size you would be picking up the same HP numbers maybe 2 to 4. That is wat i did and spent less than $100 for the muffler and shop to weld it on. Now i have the 4 cyl so you will need 2 of them but you are going to spend a $100 just on Magnaflow tips and welding so spend a little more and swap out the mufflers.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=92187.msg1796256#msg1796256 date=1192902208]
instead of the magnaflow cat back just get muffler replacements. Going to cost a ton less get you the same sound and since the pipes from factory are the same size you would be picking up the same HP numbers maybe 2 to 4. That is wat i did and spent less than $100 for the muffler and shop to weld it on. Now i have the 4 cyl so you will need 2 of them but you are going to spend a $100 just on Magnaflow tips and welding so spend a little more and swap out the mufflers.
[/quote]
Do you recall which ones or are they the same for the V6? I want a deep sound so which ones in your opinion would be best?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=92187.msg1796320#msg1796320 date=1192904543]
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=92187.msg1796256#msg1796256 date=1192902208]
[/quote]
Do you recall which ones or are they the same for the V6? I want a deep sound so which ones in your opinion would be best?
[/quote]

here is one that would work it has a 2.5 in inlet but that is not an issue for a muffler shop they did a reducer for mine as it was also a 2.5 inlet instead of 2.25. you can check with the seller to see if he has 2 of them and may give you a break on shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-...ryZ33636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought the Magnaflow tips Just for the fact that I can't afford the whole package yet. I have a SE and if you didnt know they don't come chrome. It has regular piping. When I got the car I looked it over and thats the first thing that I saw and it bugged me. I bought some tips. I cut the stock piping of about 2 in on each side. I positioned it and then welded them on. Here are some pics....

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Ya i know i am glad i did some checking before i ordered mine. Catbacks are a great mod on some or most cars. But Magnaflows sysems for the fusion are the same 2 1/4 pipe and mandrel bent pipe as factory. really all you are paying for is nice muffler(s) a resinator (the car already has one as well) and shiney pipe (it's under he car so who gives a SH!T if it is shiney) That is just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Slater :bowdown: Thank you a lot for that info. I never thought of that. That $500 for the Magnaflow for my I4 was goint to be hard for me to get. So, now, all I need is $100!!! :klavergreg: I am waiting for someone to disagree with you.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and revive this thread because I too am now starting to get interested in some Magnaflows for my car. The more I sleep on it, the more I think that I just need MUFFLERS and not the entire Cat Back system. Plus I had two mechanics at the dealership telling me that I was wasting my money with the whole catback system. They couldn't give me exact recommendations for which particular Magnaflow mufflers would work the best for the car, but they said that I needed to just ask around.

Slater, that muffler isn't bad, but I'm one of these name brand happy people when it comes to my car. Could I be under the assumption that the Street series Magnaflows would be a quieter muffler than the Race Series? Those tips do look good!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=92187.msg1814970#msg1814970 date=1193584756]
I'm gonna go ahead and revive this thread because I too am now starting to get interested in some Magnaflows for my car. The more I sleep on it, the more I think that I just need MUFFLERS and not the entire Cat Back system. Plus I had two mechanics at the dealership telling me that I was wasting my money with the whole catback system. They couldn't give me exact recommendations for which particular Magnaflow mufflers would work the best for the car, but they said that I needed to just ask around.

Slater, that muffler isn't bad, but I'm one of these name brand happy people when it comes to my car. Could I be under the assumption that the Street series Magnaflows would be a quieter muffler than the Race Series? Those tips do look good!
[/quote]

From what i have read yes the street mufflers are not going to be a loud as the race mufflers. From what i guess is there is less fiber glass wrap in the race muffler so it is less restrictive. But you are also going to get a more "Tinny" sound out of a race muffler. I would stick with the street muffler myself. have to remember we are still driving Fusions :lol: but i have to agree with your mechanic friends that in my opinion the full cat back is a waist for the fusion just because it came from the factory with a good exhaust system. Most other cars i cannot say that but did it right from the start with our cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Hi all. :wavey: Slater is 100% correct. The choke points on a modern engine/exhaust system are the catalytic converters. Essentially, this means improving the exhaust flow after the catalytic converters does not help performance. Also, as he states, the Fusion/Milan/MKZ already has a very good quality exhaust system.

Spending money on a new "catback" exhaust will get you little/no performance benefits, as it does nothing to open up the "dam" (catalytic converters) in the exhaust flow.

The only real benefits from a catback system are cosmetic. And unfortunately/fortunately nobody will really see the cosmetic improvements as long as we keep the tires side down :shock: (and I wish that for us all).

My advice (and everyone is free to take it or completely ignore it) would be to replace the tips if you want a better look, or the mufflers and tips if you need a better sound.

Other than that, save your money and keep the rest of the system stock until you need to replace it due to corrosion or damage. This also gives us the advantage of keeping the Factory Warranty valid on the exhaust.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=92187.msg1815044#msg1815044 date=1193587840]
Hi all. :wavey: Slater is 100% correct. The choke points on a modern engine/exhaust system are the catalytic converters. Essentially, this means improving the exhaust flow after the catalytic converters does not help performance. Also, as he states, the Fusion/Milan/MKZ already has a very good quality exhaust system.

Spending money on a new "catback" exhaust will get you little/no performance benefits, as it does nothing to open up the "dam" (catalytic converters) in the exhaust flow.

The only real benefits from a catback system are cosmetic. And unfortunately/fortunately nobody will really see the cosmetic improvements as long as we keep the tires side down :shock: (and I wish that for us all).

My advice (and everyone is free to take it or completely ignore it) would be to replace the tips if you want a better look, or the mufflers and tips if you need a better sound.

Other than that, save your money and keep the rest of the system stock until you need to replace it due to corrosion or damage. This also gives us the advantage of keeping the Factory Warranty valid on the exhaust.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck! :cheers:

[/quote]

Ya what he said :lol: :goodjob:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=fusiont8 link=topic=92187.msg1798230#msg1798230 date=1193013704]
I just bought the Magnaflow tips Just for the fact that I can't afford the whole package yet. I have a SE and if you didnt know they don't come chrome. It has regular piping. When I got the car I looked it over and thats the first thing that I saw and it bugged me. I bought some tips. I cut the stock piping of about 2 in on each side. I positioned it and then welded them on. Here are some pics....

[/quote]

was just looking at those tips again and they look kick ass. The style of them is Perf

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks for comments..... I like the sound of the stock exhaust when I get on it, so I am not in a big hurry to change it. My tech at the dealership thought that welding some new tips on was a good idea on my part. He was kinda surprised that it was still the stock exhaust underneath.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts