FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall pretty good news for Ford! Let's hope the trend continues with the new Edge and the restyled Five Hundred when they hit the streets. Five Hundred sales are pretty weak along with the Freestyle. Mercury doesn't have much going for it other than the Milan. Lincoln is about as expected. Looks like the Taurus made a come-back. Rental agencies must be snatching them up before they go out of production.

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?categoryid=9&p2_articleid=382

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It's good news, but Ford can't stop here. They have to keep up with the changes. They already know what happens when they don't.

I honestly believe that the Fusion is the new Taurus (in terms of sales and demand), which was the best seller in the late 80s to mid 90s.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=58677.msg998428#msg998428 date=1160321387]
It's good news, but Ford can't stop here. They have to keep up with the changes. They already know what happens when they don't.

I honestly believe that the Fusion is the new Taurus (in terms of sales and demand), which was the best seller in the late 80s to mid 90s.
[/quote]

I agree 100% They have to keep going with more changes!

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=58677.msg998428#msg998428 date=1160321387]
[/quote]

The difference is the Taurus had two plants and the Fusion only one. So no matter how popular the Fusion is, it can never sell more than 300,000 per year, so it won't ever beat Camry and Accord. At least not until another plant is built.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is great news for Ford!! The Fusion is an awesome car. I have now owned mine for about 6 months and still enjoy driving it.

This can be a good or bad thing for Ford. Granted Ford has decided to build the Fusion at first in Mexico. It is said capacity is 300,000 Fusion/Milan/MKZ out of this plant. This can be a good thing for resale since they can only build so many and if people want them the price wil hold steady.

However, Ford wants profit. To make profit you build cars. Ford has capacity in the U.S. or Canada to build more Fusions/Milans. With the Taurus/Sable going bye bye this just may happen. But, a Fusion 2 door is coming down the pike really fast, and I would not doubt a Mercury version is also in the works. If the Fusion/Milan prove to be popular and demand is ther, Ford will deliver.

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=58677.msg1000186#msg1000186 date=1160407934]
[/quote]

The difference is the Taurus had two plants and the Fusion only one. So no matter how popular the Fusion is, it can never sell more than 300,000 per year, so it won't ever beat Camry and Accord. At least not until another plant is built.
[/quote] That is a good thing! It's better to limit capacity. I would rather build less and sell every unit. Then to double capacity and get stuck giving cars away to clear the lots. Limited production also increases resale value for people who already own them! If they build the fusion in another plant then, they run the risk of flooding the market with the car. And if their sales shrink because of it they'll have to lay more workers off. They don't have to sell more units than their competitors to be profitable! Their capacity just has to be in line with there sales.

·
Registered
195 Posts
8) I agree, I would much rather see Ford build limited numbers, sell every Fusion/Milan/Zeph it builds. Plus this hold quality/fit/finish at high levels. Ford may someday build the Fusion either in Canada or the U.S. but I don't see this happening anytime soon. Although, thinking about it, I can see the 2 door version of the Fusion/Milan being built in either the U.S. or Canada..

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's tricky Ford has a cancer within. They're trying to weed out unproductive workers but, it seems that this terrible work ethic has seeped into the American culture. We have kids growing up thinking that they should be handsomely compensated and not have to work for it! It looks as though the bad eggs are taking the buyouts. Ford will be a strong competitor again once their employ is filled with people who take more pride in the work they perforn then they do their paycheck. It's comming. And we now have appealing products. They just can not become complacent again. That being said, along with every manufacturing job I'm seing a trend. I don't think the Fusion will ever be coming to a place where the manufacturing costs are more. It did however happen with the focus, but the reason it happened was ford wanted the extra capacity and there where some quality issues with the Mexican units. That's not the case with the Fusion.

·
Registered
910 Posts
From what I hear the mexican plants are hurting due to poor sales of domestic cars here in the states but things are looking up. I heard sales were 150,000 fusions for the first year of production which is way off compared to the taurus which could sell 400,000 in that time. I think it may be possible to pull that level of sales off since this is a far superior car to the taurus or really anything domestic for some time. They may need another plant though if that happens. I would like it to be somewhat limited though in a way, so far I've only seen 5-10 other fusions in town and I like not being so common.

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=58677.msg1156823#msg1156823 date=1169166729]
From what I hear the mexican plants are hurting due to poor sales of domestic cars here in the states but things are looking up. I heard sales were 150,000 fusions for the first year of production which is way off compared to the taurus which could sell 400,000 in that time. I think it may be possible to pull that level of sales off since this is a far superior car to the taurus or really anything domestic for some time. They may need another plant though if that happens. I would like it to be somewhat limited though in a way, so far I've only seen 5-10 other fusions in town and I like not being so common.
[/quote] I also beleave that the Fusion has the same potential, but I don't think it wise. Let Toyota flood the market. If you give people too much of something that they like then they get tired of it. It's Toyota's turn to shine. If the quality and design is there than people will be more whiling to pay for a vehicle that is different. I'll give you an example. I drove a semi truck for several years. Peterbuilt & Kenworth where rivels much the same as ford and chevy. Out of nowhere came freightliner, and they began mass producing semi's at almost the rate of a auto manufactuer. They other two truck brands keeped focus on qaulity and limited there production to a set # per year. The long term effect was now there are freightliners a dime a dozen, and Peterbuilt & Kenworth are the prefered brands!

·
Registered
817 Posts
... so far I've only seen 5-10 other fusions in town and I like not being so common.
[/quote]
Has anyone seen the year-end, 2006 sales figures for the Fusion? Otaku, Boise has a population of about 186,000 people and you've only seen "5-10 other Fusions?" Salisbury, MD, has a population of about 30,000 and is a shopping hub for about 100,000 people. I have only seen two Fusions on the road since we bought ours Dec. 4.

In fact the dealer only had 8 in stock, and some where 2006s, when we bought ours. According to the dealer's Web site, he only has 5 in stock and no SEL AWDs. I, too, like not being so commonplace but would like to see the Fusions sell well, thereby increasing their resale value. Boz

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=urnews link=topic=58677.msg1159717#msg1159717 date=1169317641]
... so far I've only seen 5-10 other fusions in town and I like not being so common.
[/quote]
Has anyone seen the year-end, 2006 sales figures for the Fusion? [/quote] I don't know the actual volume for 06' but I do know that the dealership that I buy from sold out in september! They had people on order for the 07' model!

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=furious1auto link=topic=58677.msg1160498#msg1160498 date=1169369684]
[quote author=urnews link=topic=58677.msg1159717#msg1159717 date=1169317641]
[/quote]
Has anyone seen the year-end, 2006 sales figures for the Fusion? [/quote] I don't know the actual volume for 06' but I do know that the dealership that I buy from sold out in september! They had people on order for the 07' model!
[/quote]
That's way cool. I don't think the Fusion has "caught on" in our area yet. I'd like to see more of them on the road. A high sales volume is good for resale values. Boz

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's the perfect time to buy then! I bought mine the second month on the market! It's cool to have a new car! It's even cooler to have a new car that no one has!

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=furious1auto link=topic=58677.msg1168825#msg1168825 date=1169754520]
It's the perfect time to buy then! I bought mine the second month on the market! It's cool to have a new car! It's even cooler to have a new car that no one has!
[/quote]
Furious,
I seem to remember reading somewhere that February is the best time to buy a new car, when sales are at their lowest. It's suppose to be a time when you can get a really good deal because dealers are desperate for sales. I have no idea how true that theory is but it seems to make sense. Boz

·
Registered
421 Posts
I started another thread offering my X plan pins to those looking to buy. I wan't nothing in return. They have saved my freinds and family as little as $1,500 to $16,000. Yes, it is a good time to buy anyway. Another good time to buy is when the auto show comes to your nearest big city. Generally They will offer an additional $500 factory rebate at the dealerships around the show! I just talked to my salesperson and, she's waiting for tax return sales. They are slow now but in a couple weeks the lots will be slammed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts