FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate help identifying a noise in & from my two-week-old '07 V6 Milan. (I'm not sure if it's a problem. It might be perfectly normal.) It's a hum that, like most noises, is hard to describe. The best analogy that comes to mind is a tuning fork, with volume oscillating up & down in the range of moderately soft to soft. It's sufficiently subtle that I can't tell if it's originating in the passenger cabin or from the engine, the tires, or the underside of the car. I hear it when the car is in motion, unless masked by ambient road noise. It's perceptible with the windows up or down. It occurs equally when the A/C is on and when it's off. If the noise occurs when the car is stationary, I don't hear it, but that could simply be because the noise might very, very, very soft at those times.

Any ideas on what's producing the noise? Also, how it can be remedied (assuming it needs to be)? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=chm1chm1 link=topic=81257.msg1508204#msg1508204 date=1182530942]
I'd appreciate help identifying a noise in & from my two-week-old '07 V6 Milan. (I'm not sure if it's a problem. It might be perfectly normal.) It's a hum that, like most noises, is hard to describe. The best analogy that comes to mind is a tuning fork, with volume oscillating up & down in the range of moderately soft to soft. It's sufficiently subtle that I can't tell if it's originating in the passenger cabin or from the engine, the tires, or the underside of the car. I hear it when the car is in motion, unless masked by ambient road noise. It's perceptible with the windows up or down. It occurs equally when the A/C is on and when it's off. If the noise occurs when the car is stationary, I don't hear it, but that could simply be because the noise might very, very, very soft at those times.

Any ideas on what's producing the noise? Also, how it can be remedied (assuming it needs to be)? Thanks in advance for any help.

[/quote]

Hi chm1. :wavey: My first advice would be to take it back to the Dealer for a Service Department visit, assuming it is still under warranty (which it should be, unless you drive one heck of a lot). It could be normal, or it could be any of a dozen or more actual problems. Have a Service Technician ride with you, and point out the noise to him/her when it is occurring.

In the mean time, a little more info might help us narrow things down a bit.

Does it occur at any particular speed? If yes, what speeds? Does it come and go at any particular speeds? Does it get worse at certain speeds? Does it seem to be coming from the front or the rear of the car? Are you experiencing any corresponding vibration? If yes, do you feel it in the steering wheel? Have you tried having someone ride with you, to help you pinpoint where the sound may be coming from? Have you checked your tire pressures (with a quality pressure gauge) to be sure they are in the correct range?

As you can see, there are many variables, and these are just the tip of the iceberg.

Instead of trying to guess yourself, or have others guess over the Internet, take it in for Warranty Service. In the end, that is always your best course of action.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi chm1,

Congratulations on your new car! I think there is a TSB which describes a heat shield or something which is directly under the passenger side seating area which rubs against the body or something producing unwanted noise. Perhaps you can investigate this further as I know it was for the Fusion and don't know if it would apply to your Milan.

Happy driving

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took my Milan into the local Ford dealership. With a technician by my side, I test-drove the car so he could concentrate on the hum. He did acknowledge the faint hum and said it was "normal." I probably would've thought he was simply shining me on. However, he it turned out he wasn't a disinterested dealership technician. Read on....

ANOTHER noise had developed after I had posted my original message in this forum. That noise was a tap-tap-tap (almost always 3 taps) upon acceleration, most noticeable when I accelerated the car gently rather than flooring it. The tech acknowledged the tapping. That, he said, was "not normal" so he committed resources in the service department to investigate the problem. One tech drove while two others listened to determine the point of origin. They finally isolated it to somewhere within a pillar. "Repair" (well, actually it turned out not to be a repair) required removal of the back seat and possibly other stuff. The culprit, it turned out, was a loose, tiny metallic piece that had been left in the pillar -- probably during the manufacturing process. I was told it was a "counterweight" and totally unnecessary, so it was removed. Let's hope this incident was/is an anomaly and not just a taste of more things to come due to poor workmanship. As appropriate, I wasn't charged a penny for this manufacturing defect. Ford/Mercury, though, probably will be less than thrilled with the huge invoice they'll receive from the dealership to compensate for the carelessness of its line workers in Hermosillo.

Now that the tapping is history, I'm a much happier camper. I'll keep my ear on the original (irritating) hum, to monitor whether it diminishes, stabilizes, or worsens. At least I have the complaint on record and acknowledgment by a technician -- in case I need to return to the dealership with the same issue.

Despite the above incident, I still love my Milan. After having driven only Japanese cars 'til last month -- first a Datsun (now Nissan), Mazda, another Mazda, then Toyota -- I can say immediately that the Milan is a quality product I prefer over Datsun/Nissan and Mazda, hands down. The Toyota, a Camry, is a classy "comfort" car for the family, but it just doesn't possess the steady handling, sportiness, and sharp appearance of the Milan. If the Milan lives up to Consumer Reports' projection of "much above average" reliability for the 2007/2008 generation (as it proved in the real world in 2006), I'll consider the Milan one of the best purchases in my life. I was concerned with Camry's reported transmission problems in its current generation, so didn't even consider buying it. Thanks to Ford/Mercury for the Fusion and Milan when I needed a new car of quality!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can only imagine how relieved you are to be rid of that problem. Sounds like you have a great dealership with techs who really care.

Happy driving! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds to me like it is something vibrating against another piece of the car. Did they check all the heat shielding? exhaust to make sure it was tight? Maybe isolating it to a certain speed, is the car cold? does it go away when its hot/cold? I'm a tech, work with robotics/PLC's in the IC industry. Having as much information helps a whole bunch! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts