FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Folks!

Did a search on this issue with no luck, so posting a question here.

Recently my wife's 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid began occasionally displaying the airbag warning light in the dash (Not the "passenger airbag off" light). The light now goes off when the vehicle is started, but comes on once driving begins. Yesterday I drove the car and discovered that the audio/phone controls on the right side of the steering wheel have also stopped functioning (the left side "cruise control" buttons still work).

Now I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps a connector in the steering column that carries connections to both systems may have shifted and become detached, and I was wondering whether anyone else has ever experienced this combination of issues and knows of an easy fix?

I should mention that late last summer I had to pull the dash open in order to replace the "infamous" A/C temperature sensor when air conditioning stopped working properly. That job went without a problem, but I wonder if shifting the dash back and moving the steering column around may have loosened a connection.

Before I go digging blindly into the car again I was hoping that you folks might have some tips as to where to look. It seems suspect to me that both problems would occur at around the same time, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a matter of pulling and reconnecting one of the wiring harnesses. ;-)

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
On these cars, the airbag light illuminating is a sign of a weak battery, which will also cause other weird electrical issues. If the battery is a few years old, that may be the culprit, and replacing it may resolve it. Have the battery tested at the very least.

The clockspring runs all of the steering wheel wiring, first one issue arises followed by others, like ABS light, cruise control, horn, and any other functioning buttons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On these cars, the airbag light illuminating is a sign of a weak battery, which will also cause other weird electrical issues. If the battery is a few years old, that may be the culprit, and replacing it may resolve it. Have the battery tested at the very least.

The clockspring runs all of the steering wheel wiring, first one issue arises followed by others, like ABS light, cruise control, horn, and any other functioning buttons.
Appreciate the reply! The battery is not only brand new, but upgraded to a much more powerful alternative (I posted a youtube video on this mod, which addresses the fact that I use multiple high-draw 12v items and the stock battery was unable to keep up). It is 200CCA more capable than stock, with more reserve amps as well.

Since my last post, the buttons on the left side have also failed - no more cruise control, dash setup/access, etc. This "clockspring" that you speak of ... is this easily accessible/replaceable, as I suspect that this might be the cause of the trouble? Appreciate any technical info you might be able to steer me towards!

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just an FYI... my airbag light came on a while back when I was messing around with my radio replacement.

I believe I interrupted the CAN bus communications within the radio harness and the airbag light didn't go out until I was able to get my iDatalink Maestro RR and Kenwood head unit to successfully connect.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Appreciate the reply! The battery is not only brand new, but upgraded to a much more powerful alternative (I posted a youtube video on this mod, which addresses the fact that I use multiple high-draw 12v items and the stock battery was unable to keep up). It is 200CCA more capable than stock, with more reserve amps as well.

Since my last post, the buttons on the left side have also failed - no more cruise control, dash setup/access, etc. This "clockspring" that you speak of ... is this easily accessible/replaceable, as I suspect that this might be the cause of the trouble? Appreciate any technical info you might be able to steer me towards!

Thanks!
Steve
It doesn't seem too difficult, but I've never had the issue to worry about it though. I'm unsure if the steering wheel need to be removed, but I don't think so.

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/212-interior-modifications/683730-steering-wheel-clock-spring.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't seem too difficult, but I've never had the issue to worry about it though. I'm unsure if the steering wheel need to be removed, but I don't think so.

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/212-interior-modifications/683730-steering-wheel-clock-spring.html
Thanks for the reply! I will look into replacing the clockspring ... I had some other issues come up, so this went on the back-burner until now. If anybody has a link to detailed instructions for the replacement I'd sure appreciate it!

Regards,
Steve :grin2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts