FordFusionClub.com banner

STEEDA TB SPACER INSTALL ON 2.3L

27K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  michaelwittke@charter.net 
#1 ·
Hi All...finally getting around to this...day off...so why not....

Tools needed for install...
Straight slot screwdriver to loosen the 2 band clamps on the Air Cleaner Outlet Duct
8MM socket to loosen the 4 OEM TB fasteners
10MM socket to tighten Steeda TB fasteners
Torque rench for the 89"lb fastener torque

Time of install...less then an hour...really easy.

STEEDA parts...

Before pic...loosen 2 band clamps on Air Cleaner Duct & unsnap the 3 cover clamps...

Air Cleaner cover removed....I also cleaned the air filter with compressed air ....

Air Cleaner Outlet Duct removed...remove vac tube @ 12:00 position from 'H' for ease of relocating duct outta the way.

TB removed...

Steeda spacer, 2 gaskets and 3 fasteners ready to install...4th fastener (lower rear) can be installed once TB is in place due to radiator hose obstructing hole with TB in position shown.

Tighten fasteners in a 'X' pattern with incremental 'hand torque'...then torque to 89"lbs...install duct...install vac tube @ 12:00 position...snap air cleaner cover on and tighten the 2 band clamps...done deal.

Closeup of Steeda TB Spacer...

STBS in 'stealth mode'...taped off surrounding area..Duplicolor blk spray top & front TB & green gaskets so as to have it blend in for a less noticable appearance in an effort to not draw attention @ next oil change to ward off possible 'issues' with warranty....we'll see.

OK...the $64,000 '?'...does it work? Did the install around noon today..washed the car...then took off for Netflix dropoff at the post office..back roads. It 'felt' abit more 'torquey' in 1st & 2nd under 'spirited' acceleration...'appeared' abit more 'responsive'..especially doing 35-40 up Hill St in 5th..when I usually have to downshift to 4th to maintain MPH @ low RPM. I will have to cruz not only backroad (work & back)...but do a hiway run to get a better 'feel' as to a performance improvement. As always...will keep all updated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great post thanks for showing us all the install! :cheers:

#4 ·
That spacer would look much better if it had some AN fitting poking out of it, hint hint sneeky pete!

#5 ·
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=83805.msg1573210#msg1573210 date=1184975631]
That spacer would look much better if it had some AN fitting poking out of it, hint hint sneeky pete!
[/quote]

Im with you on this. I am right at the point of tapping the stock air box for a nozzle placement.

#6 ·
Hi Tweek....Thanx! Appreciate the compliment! New cam...Nikon L12...very pleased with the pic quality...and as always...happy to share my 'adventures' so others who venture will hopefully have a easier time doing so.

Hey Jaysen...Thanx!!! Elevating this thread to 'Sticky Status' is quite the compliment to me!!!! I really appreciate this alot....as well as my 'FOGLITE/BACKUP LITE' threads in Exterior Lighting that were Sticky'd awhile back. Thank You!!!!!!

Hi mechanicboy18...Hmmmm...nitros is abit more 'go' then what I want to do for now....a tune is up next..and if Bob J. does a CAI/Tune combo deal...on sale...definately. I would also be very interested in a supercharger/intercooler setup at some point in time. Thanx for the suggestion, though.

#8 ·
Hi slaterracing....apologies for not responding sooner...had my daughter & granddaughter up for the weekend...busybusy....anyway...I am pleased with this item...have noticed better throttle response in low to mid rpm range...1st threw 3rd gear ....and the 5th gear low rpm (@1500+/-) drivability is improved with regards to not having to downshift on a hill @ 35mph+/-. Have not had a chance to do a hiway cruz yet...maybe this week...will post results.

#9 ·
[quote author=SGs Fuzion link=topic=83805.msg1596803#msg1596803 date=1185795151]
Hi slaterracing....apologies for not responding sooner...had my daughter & granddaughter up for the weekend...busybusy....anyway...I am pleased with this item...have noticed better throttle response in low to mid rpm range...1st threw 3rd gear ....and the 5th gear low rpm (@1500+/-) drivability is improved with regards to not having to downshift on a hill @ 35mph+/-. Have not had a chance to do a hiway cruz yet...maybe this week...will post results.
[/quote]

No prob at all i understand the family thing i have 3 boys myself (they are all under 10) and we always have something going on. Thanks for the info. I ordered my intake yesterday but will get the spacer at another time. My bonus at work was not has high as i wanted it to be so figure that is one thing i can wait on. But i will be getting one for sure now. Thanks

#11 ·
Hi kevjur...Great...Thanx for the fyi regarding the dealer...I'm hoping for the same...btw...whats ur impression of the Steeda TB Spacer?

#12 ·
Hey, if this thing really works, with it designed to alter the air flow from the intake, would those "Tornado" things they use to sell on tv and now on E Bay work as well? They seem like they are designed for the same purpose. :ughhug:

#13 ·
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=83805.msg1603382#msg1603382 date=1185984309]
Hey, if this thing really works, with it designed to alter the air flow from the intake, would those "Tornado" things they use to sell on tv and now on E Bay work as well? They seem like they are designed for the same purpose. :ughhug:
[/quote]

From everything i have been told the Tornado does not work at all. What helps the spacer so much is the increased intake volume. These thing have been around for ever. The easiest way to make power on older Carb cars was to put a i or 2 inch intake spacer between the intake manifold and the Carburetor. I think it is more the spacer itself than the swirl pattern in the opening.

#14 ·
I am curious to know about how much gain can be achieved from the I4 if all is installed: Spacer, CAI, Tunes, and Flowmaster Exhaust.

#15 ·
See, I'm very unsure about getting this item, but for a different reason. When I had a 4.2L V6 F150, they sold TBS's for this. I installed my CAI and noticed a huge difference at high RPM's (not so much at lower RPM's though). I installed a TBS after this, and there was no difference at all. So, going on THAT experience I am very hesitant to buy the one for the 3.0L V6. Although it still doesn't stop me from buying it....which is more than likely going to happen eventually.

#16 ·
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=83805.msg1603428#msg1603428 date=1185985179]
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=83805.msg1603382#msg1603382 date=1185984309]
Hey, if this thing really works, with it designed to alter the air flow from the intake, would those "Tornado" things they use to sell on tv and now on E Bay work as well? They seem like they are designed for the same purpose.  :ughhug:
[/quote]
From everything i have been told the Tornado does not work at all.  What helps the spacer so much is the increased intake volume.  These thing have been around for ever.  The easiest way to make power on older Carb cars was to put a i or 2 inch intake spacer between the intake manifold and the Carburetor. I think it is more the spacer itself than the swirl pattern in the opening.   
[/quote]

Hmmmmm, yeah, kind of makes me wonder too... I just don't see how the TBS is adding much volume to the intake manifold that actually looks pretty big. :shock:  If the ports were closed off, the manifold would probably hold over a gallon of fluid. (That's a lot of volume...) The spacer might hold a few ounces, right???  (About the size of a 1/3 of a coffee cup...)

#17 ·
Hate to break the news to you but this does NOTHING to the car. Two things tell me so. First, a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering and second, no supporting data from the manufacturer other than anecdotal ("it feels better...") evidence. Hogwash! Don't believe me...Obtain certified Dyno runs before and after installation of a "performance" part. Any reputable manufacturer will also have these readily available for you to see.

Also, gaining .5 hp at the max or some other BS like that is not a performance increase. That's a variance in readings on your dyno. Real increases are easily readable in both Power and Torque graphs and this will do neither.

One thing is for certain though, one look under the hood at your friendly Ford dealer, and your VIN will POSSIBLY be entered into the computer database at Ford as a modified engine, thereby POSSIBLY voiding your factory warranty. Ye-haw.

Certainly not worth it now eh?

Come on people... IF ---> Tornados, fuel magnets, Power pills, K&N filters, Slick 50, or any other of the snake oil crap they sell by the billions, really worked, do you seriously think manufacturers wouldn't implement it into their production lines? Be serious! Of course they would. Gee, 45+hp from a $9 chip on eBay....Ford would jump at that now.

A fool and his money are easily parted...

#18 ·
[quote author=FindlayFusion link=topic=83805.msg2050047#msg2050047 date=1202309448]

One thing is for certain though, one look under the hood at your friendly Ford dealer, and your VIN will be entered into the computer database at Ford as a modified engine, thereby voiding your factory warranty. Ye-haw.

[/quote]

While I tend to agree about the effectiveness of this part, the above statement is 100% false.

#19 ·
[quote author=FindlayFusion link=topic=83805.msg2050047#msg2050047 date=1202309448]
[/quote]

Insulting a dozen or so members and an entire company dedicated to enthusiasts... nice way to present yourself as a new member to the forum! :lame:

#20 ·
Hate to break the news to you but this does NOTHING to the car. Two things tell me so. First, a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering and second, no supporting data from the manufacturer other than anecdotal ("it feels better...") evidence. Hogwash! Don't believe me...Obtain certified Dyno runs before and after installation of a "performance" part. Any reputable manufacturer will also have these readily available for you to see.

Also, gaining .5 hp at the max or some other BS like that is not a performance increase. That's a variance in readings on your dyno. Real increases are easily readable in both Power and Torque graphs and this will do neither.

One thing is for certain though, one look under the hood at your friendly Ford dealer, and your VIN will be entered into the computer database at Ford as a modified engine, thereby voiding your factory warranty. Ye-haw.

Certainly not worth it now eh?

Come on people... IF ---> Tornados, fuel magnets, Power pills, K&N filters, Slick 50, or any other of the snake oil crap they sell by the billions, really worked, do you seriously think manufacturers wouldn't implement it into their production lines? Be serious! Of course they would. Gee, 45+hp from a $9 chip on eBay....Ford would jump at that now.

[/quote]

I agree and disagree. I agree that they don't work on our engine (yes, our engine), and they're a waste of money. But, I will say that on certain applications they actually work.

They wont have a significant performance gain on our engine due to the fact that our intake manifold is so curved and obscure. The area where the air builds up and the runners to the Fuel Injectors almost does more then a 90 deg turn... Any kind of air "swirl" that may have been created from that TBS will just be ruined. But, on an engine that flows up to down (most big blocks) it helps because the air will gain velocity, and it will help in atomization of fuel by being more dense, and well mixed w/ the fuel.

Now, I've personally seen a gain in performance with a TBS on Forced induction applications w/ after maker intake manifolds. The amount of air thats getting pulled in is so great, and the speed at which is so fast that the actual air creates a slight vortex making it more dense and allowing fuel to mix better. They specifically work better on Turbo/SC applications that use a Intercooler or have long intake piping (longer piping tends to lose any type of significant airflow pattern after so long, especially when running through an intercooler, so a TBS will help)

Now, if our car say, got a Cosworth intake manifold where the area directly infront of the injectors is open, a spacer will help (not more then a 5-7hp gain), but it still wont be very significant.

Theirs a bunch of other stuff too, but for the most part, its not really a worth while mod unless you can spend under like.. under 30 bucks.

Steeda is a good company and all, but not everything they make has to be actually worth it. It may be an "increase in performance" but again... whats an actuall increase in performance? Dyno charts and factual evidence is what should really be looked at when doing something like this. Also, if theirs a change in the actuall power curve thats benifical, but not a power gain, that would also be considered a gain.

#21 ·
[quote author=11011101 link=topic=83805.msg2050236#msg2050236 date=1202316298]
[/quote]

Insulting a dozen or so members and an entire company dedicated to enthusiasts... nice way to present yourself as a new member to the forum! :lame:
[/quote]

kinda thinking the same thing. So what you are saying is that adding a carb spacer on an old motor does nothing. Because that is all this is. Carb spacers have proven HP gains. I should know i have built cars for many many years and most of them have been race cars. If you increase plenum volume you will gain HP. How much i do not know. Maybe 3 to 4 but on a 160hp 4 cyl that is OK increase for the money as that would be over 10hp on a 500 big block.

#22 ·
[quote author=11011101 link=topic=83805.msg2050236#msg2050236 date=1202316298]
[/quote]

I agree here. FindlayFusion please watch your rhetoric. This board is very civil and constructive. Disagreeing is fine, just don't be so harsh about it.

#23 ·
I offered no "rhetoric" (The ability to use language well, through the practice of exaggeration, to influence others), quite the contrary, I spoke out against it. I was civil and constructive but I do dissent entirely.

The only person(s) who seem miffed are those who have chosen to spend their money on said stuff. Good for them. Enjoy it. It's your cash. However, if this is a forum which cannot withstand the simplest of dissension, then that in itself says a great deal.

I stand by my position that in the absence of hard scientific data, these wild claims are nothing more than anecdotal opinions spoken as some kind of fact. If that how somebody wants to represent it, perfect. It's their opinion, not a fact.

The TRUTH is this - "The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance." - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637)

Modifying the fuel intake system of your car clearly constitutes a violation under this clause and should your engine suffer a failure, the truly honest person will tell you to be prepared to have a warranty claim denied.

Hey - do what you want to your own car, but be HONEST about it and the ramifications. Also, if you can't back up your claims, then state them as an OPINION because that is what they are.

A perfect example of this exists on another site: http://www.fordfusion.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1504&highlight=

" spoke with Ford Consumer affairs for twenty-five minutes and they agreed with and stand behind the dealer. My suspension warranty is void. The dealer stated that I changed the wheels and tires to aftermarket oversized. This is not true as only the wheels were changed. Tires are original. Wheels are 16", same size as original. I am screwed."

This poor person changed his WHEELS to aftermarket wheels and began to have suspension noise and noises inside the doors. His dealer notified FORD and FORD invalidated the warranty. His only remedy now is ARBITRATION and he will lose. I'M NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH THIS, I'M SIMPLY STATING THAT IT IS WHAT IT IS AND CAN EASILY BE THE RESULT OF AFTERMARKET PARTS.

What is wrong with wanting to be sure that what I am installing on my car and the true, verifiable gains it will give me are worth the warranty risk? Nothing.

Oh for crying out loud, even the Steeda website says this: "Your complete satisfaction is our primary goal. All parts and services offered by Steeda Autosports have undergone extensive in-house testing and evaluation to insure the highest level of quality and performance and are guaranteed to be free from material or manufacturing defects when you receive them. However, the industry standard is no parts warranty. Competition parts are sold "as is" without any warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Any attempted repair or alteration of any part will immediately void the warranty."

Let's analyze this...

"extensive in-house testing and evaluation" - Hey Fantastic! Let's post those before and after certified dyno runs which obviously must have been done. They will clear this issue right up and increase Steeda's sales lickity-split.

"no parts warranty" - You on your own buddy...

"...will void the warranty" - But, didn't you just say there is no warranty? Oh yes you did. So in reality, there is no warranty past opening the box and making sure the stuff wasn't damaged in transit.

Bottom line, if you're offended by the truth, or the request for scientific data in support of wild claims, then I can't help you.

If you feel personally offended by the quote of "A fool and his money are easily parted", I tender my apologies as I never meant to single you out. Clearly, I should have used something more politically correct like "Caveat emptor" - Let the buyer beware.

#24 ·
[quote author=FindlayFusion link=topic=83805.msg2050950#msg2050950 date=1202331246]
However, if this is a forum which cannot withstand the simplest of dissension, then that in itself says a great deal.
[/quote]

Huh? We debate and disagree all the time. However, most of us show a little more tact and a lot less emotion ;)

[quote author=FindlayFusion link=topic=83805.msg2050950#msg2050950 date=1202331246]

What is wrong with wanting to be sure that what I am installing on my car and the true, verifiable gains it will give me are worth the warranty risk? Nothing.

[/quote]

Exactly, there's nothing wrong with that.

This poor person changed his WHEELS to aftermarket wheels and began to have suspension noise and noises inside the doors. His dealer notified FORD and FORD invalidated the warranty. His only remedy now is ARBITRATION and he will lose. I'M NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH THIS, I'M SIMPLY STATING THAT IT IS WHAT IT IS AND CAN EASILY BE THE RESULT OF AFTERMARKET PARTS.
[/quote]

I think you're misunderstanding my point. You came in here making a blanket statement that modifications will void your warranty. They do not. If they cause a problem, will that problem be fixed under warranty? No. It's obvious you understand this, but you chose to say it in a way that removes that part of the equation. In other words, a TBS or intake will not void the warranty on your power windows, etc.

In the end, it's not your opinion that rubbed people the wrong way. It was the way you laid it out. In fact, I'm always curious as to why people sign up to a forum and the first thing they want to do is rant and rave rather than settle in.

#25 ·
If you feel personally offended by the quote of "A fool and his money are easily parted", I tender my apologies as I never meant to single you out. Clearly, I should have used something more politically correct like "Caveat emptor" - Let the buyer beware.
[/quote]

I wasn't offended by the quote itself. It was the entire condescending tone of your post, followed by the quote.

I completely agree with your rational, scientific data based arguments. But don't tell people that their subjective experiences are wrong.

#26 ·
We've talked about the Magnusson-Moss act on many occasions. We know what it is. We also know the ramifications. You implied in other posts that modifying your vehicle in any way will automatically void your warranty. If something went wrong and you modified that part of your vehicle, then this part would be voided...this is true. NOT the whole vehicle warranty.

We realize this and we have talked about this. We certainly don't need big brother with a chip to remind us of this fact. We are adults and make our own decisions. Debating the functionality and performance improvement of the spacer is one thing. But berating someone for their decision is another.

Honestly, if I wanted to add the throttle body spacer and I decided to take my car in for warranty work, I could have it off in 10 minutes and the dealership would never be the wiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.