FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems they finally finish there CAI or short ram i dunno what to make of it...

http://www.steedafusion.com/store/I...-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit---3.0L/product_info.html

Gain horsepower and torque with this straightforward upgrade. Lifetime filter can be cleaned and re-oiled, but the big news here is that we've streamlined the airflow in the all new Fusion to the point that a computer re-flash isn't just an option, it's required! Check out the SCT Xcalibrator - the perfect tool for the job!

The kit is supplied with a stainless steel air box with built-in velocity stack and CNC billet aluminum mass air meter. It mounts in the factory location with the supplied rubber trim. Our tests showed inlet temps a mere 10 degrees above ambient temperature. The Steeda Lifetime Filter can easily be cleaned and re-oiled, making maintenance a snap. All stainless steel hardware required for installation is included in the kit.

We've found up to 30 horsepower and over 25 foot pounds of torque with this kit and SCT tune.

Product Benefits

* Better gas mileage
* Smooths out incoming air for more horsepower and torque
* Easy install
* Great performance

Fits Vehicle Model:

Ford Fusion 3.0 V6

Fits Model Year:

2006, 2007

is that missing anyhting? just a lil tube and filter..?? too bad there no type of graphs to show the gains with stock vs tuned

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Up to 30 additional horsepower? Can you please provide a dyno sheet? Also, what is the horsepower gains WITHOUT the SCT tune? If you indeed gain 30 horsepower, I am sure a majority of that is the tuner.

Can you please provide more detail?

Also, at $300 -- that's quite a bit for a filter and about 8-10 inches of pipe. I am glad that someone has made one, but I will wait until some more information is posted and the price is dropped.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Damn... that's great and all... but i want some dyno chart or something... they can't expect me to believe all that without providing any evidence..

& also now I'm in a debate... do I wait for the K&N CAI to come out or do i wait for the Steeda CAI to drop the price and buy it instead? urrgghh.

[quote author=swoop1156 link=topic=61300.msg1045895#msg1045895 date=1162437218]
Also, at $300 -- that's quite a bit for a filter and about 8-10 inches of pipe.  I am glad that someone has made one, but I will wait until some more information is posted and the price is dropped.
[/quote]
+1

·
Registered
509 Posts

Is that all that's included in the kit? $300 seems a bit steep to simply convert to reusable cone filiter. 30hp with a tune isn't hard to believe if there really is that much restriction in the stock intake, but to get the full 30hp probably would require a dyno tune and 93 octane fuel. On these newer vehicles ANY changes in the intake setup can have a significant affect on the A/F ratio, so a dyno tune would likely be necessary to get the full, safe benefit of the CAI.

I do find it interesting that they list a gain of only 12hp with just the Xcal2, and no CAI. That 12hp gain is also likely on 93octane fuel, which makes me doubt Pete's hp claims even more than before.

·
Registered
509 Posts
[quote author=jaydez link=topic=61300.msg1045843#msg1045843 date=1162435512]
wait... so an x-cal is required to make this work?
[/quote]

Probably depends on your definition of "work". It's pretty common in these newer vehicles for a change in the intake to have a drastic affect on the A/F ratio, especially at WOT, causing them to run a little on the lean side. Yes, it will work, but running on the lean side of things isn't the most healthy for the engine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like how they keep the filter up higher but isolate it for cooler air, much safer and the filter stays cleaner and drier. Most aftermarket cold air intakes drop the filter down close to the ground and no matter what they tell you the filters get wet and dirty real fast in those environments and sometimes they suck enough water into the engine and things go - kaboom. Personally I like that intake setup, I'd consider it and it isn't out of line in terms of costs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what a gather from the little info is if one buy the intake they will need a tune? can one just buy a intake slap in on and drive off?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am Intrested, but I would like a a dyno sheet on gain. I am looking for power adders that increase power across the entire power band not just a peak power number up high. Looks like a good quality design from the picture provided.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My e-mail "tag" with STEEDA :

ME:  Do you have Dyno Charts supporting a gain of 25-30 HP with the CAI. ???  It is hard to believe that the Stock air intake restricts so much air …….30 HP worth.
I should have worded it a little better.

STEEDA:Its not the cold air alone that gives you those gains. As the product info states its the cold air combined with the tuning that is required with it. The cold air alone will not make that kind of power gain.
Gains of this nature are common when you combine an intake and tune on many Ford vehicles.

ME:  also what about some test without the tune.  gains? etc.  the dyno for stock, w/tube, and w/tube/sctune would be excellent.  A lot of us don't see spending 700.00 for a gain in 30 horsepower.

STEEDA:  Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass the percieved lack of bang for the buck to engineering and marketing, as that may affect development of other products as well.

Gus

·
Registered
440 Posts
YOU CAN NOT RUN THIS INTAKE WITHOUT A TUNE!

sorry to yell it, but you guys need to know. This intake appears to have a revised MAF housing, you CANNOT RUN IT without a tune to compensate for the extra air, or you WILL damage your engine by running dangerously lean. Its very common in the newer fords with the slot in MAF to need a tune when the air dynamics are changed around the MAF.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So if one were to have a tune and then added the cai and retuned---will there really be that much advanage adding the cold air??-or just stay with the tuner?? As said before--DYNO charts would be useful-

·
Registered
53 Posts
well seeing as how it's basically a filter and a new maf, you'll maybe see 5hp to the wheels as is with most cold air kits for newer cars. If you get a cold air kit and continue to modify your fusion, you'll see better gains of course.

People were pretty pissed about the price when steeda let out the cai for the 05 mustang. Now there's much better designs out there with out a needed tune.

I would wait for the K&N kit to come out before going with this one. By the way, this is coming from a huge steeda fan, my 02 mustang had almost all steeda stuff including a cold air kit. Steeda is great with suspension but I would look elsewhere on engine mods.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the feed back---looks like the tuner(more power) and magnaflow(killer sound) for the wife's Fusion--she'll be VERY happy :D

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hi All,

I just want to let you all know why we say a tune is required.

This cold air kit allows your engine to breath in a lot more air. An engine that breaths in a lot more air and does not adjust its air fuel ratio enough without a tune will make your engine run lean. An engine that runs lean can not only cause driveability issues but cause engine damage eventually if left that way long term.

If you run this kit without a tune, your car will not run as smooth and you have the potential for engine damage.

The way that other companies get around not saying you need a tune is that they restrict the airflow potential of the intake tube, leaving it within a range that does not cause computer problems or excessively lean out the engine from the extra airflow. If we made our tube narrower you could get away without having a tune, but whats the point of an air intake if it wont flow substancially more air than stock to make a good power gain?

Other kits will come out that don't require a tune, but they will give you much smaller power gains. We have seen this with 05+ Mustang kits such as K&N's. That kit only gives you 8 horsepower at the wheels without tuning. You can add a tune and make 20-22hp, our Steeda kit with tuner on Mustangs makes 34 to 38hp. The goal with our kit is to give you the most air flow you can get, and the greatest gains possible.

Just thought I would clear this up.

:)

- Larry
Steeda's Webmaster

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi, Larry. We need dyno's. Squeezing THIRTY horses from this engine is going to be hard to believe. But a very large thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Yes.... Thanks for the explanation. Glad to see another vendor helping us out!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Chris06Fusion, I sent an email because we are interested in becoming sponsors, but have not heard anything back yet.  ;)

I will work on getting some dyno sheets up for you guys.   :)

Larry

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks for the constant communication. Sometimes on boards, we hear from the vendors once, showing their product with no support.

The more we hear from you guys, the more understanding and the more you all explain what's what and the thinking in the process, the more I'll be willing to spend my hard earned cash on something that I would deem substansial from the information provided.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts