FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on their site, they advertise a gain in power and gas mileage... but nothing specific...

anyone have any idea on what can be expected from installing the CAI and the intake spacer on an I4? (no tune, just bolting up the parts)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm guessing the increase in the space is negligible. You'll see a slight increase with the intake and a more responsive throttle. Combine the intake with a tune and you'll see a further increase.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=cobra dan link=topic=88669.msg1703477#msg1703477 date=1189454045]
on their site, they advertise a gain in power and gas mileage... but nothing specific...

anyone have any idea on what can be expected from installing the CAI and the intake spacer on an I4? (no tune, just bolting up the parts)
[/quote]

The intake is 6hp to the tires per e-mail from steeda. and i would say the spacer is maybe 1hp. On the people that have one or the other or even both they said the spacer did help when it come to passing or climbing hills. No down shifting needed with the MTX tranny so that is a good thing. I will get getting one soon.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'd say maybe .1 on the spacer -- unless someone can post dyno results. If you search, you will find that some who have one -- state it does help some. Those who don't have one state it's a $80 paper weight. It's your choice. I would love to see dyno results of "only the spacer mod".

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=larryinfl link=topic=88669.msg1706038#msg1706038 date=1189536430]
There is a HUGE thread about the Steeda throttle body spacer on the Mazda6 forums. Feel free to read what people think of this item for yourself. :)

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=78586&st=0&start=0
[/quote]

well i read almost every page and wow there were alot of them. I think most people stated that it was well worth it. I will be ordering one in Oct along with my springs (i am keeping my fingers crossed.)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for the info. That was a huge thread. I feel better about this mod now. I think I will save up for the intake first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The TBS is on my I4 and no increase in fule econmy ,however its louder and when you are in your power band the car puts you in your seat.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Probably no increase in mileage due to the "put you in your seat" tests :D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've thought about a TBS for a little while now. As soon as I get the tunes from Jusnes the CAI and tunes are getting installed....while I've got the thing apart I might as well just throw on a TBS!

I was intrigued that the consensus seemed to be MAYBE an increase in MPG and an increase in "throwing you back into the seat" with a whine from the engine bay. Yet everyone was talking about a 1-2 HP gain being the most likely improvement with the TBS.

Ummm....correct me if I'm wrong but 1-2 HP won't even come close to throwing you back into the seat!!! So, surely this is an "I just spent 80 bucks, I'm going to notice SOMETHING on acceleration with this mod" observation?

Does anyone have this on the 3.0? If so, did you notice the whine that the Mazda guys were talking about? If you don't want to read the entire 26 page post, it was described as being a "hissing whine" type of sound that would come on with acceleration and dissipate at higher speeds?

·
Registered
933 Posts
^ That's what I'm thinking. People who have them like them -- and state there is a difference (to justify their purchase).

On the contrary, people who don't have them state it's a waste of $$ -- and a nice paperweight.

It kind of like a K&N drop-in (or most any mod for that matter). If you have one, most are happy with it. If not, "oh well -- you don't know the difference -- it runs fine in stock form".

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yeah, but the issue is that the K&N drop in costs 40 bucks.........this TBS with shipping is $100.

When things are triple digits, it adds a whole 'nuther dimension. I expect gains for that kind of money, not just a good sound. Actually, if I could have a faster fusion without making ANY sound whatsoever, I'd be perfectly pleased. In other words, when I beat and/or outmaneuver people, I don't want it to seem like my car struggled at all. This TBS seems like the only thing it would truly add to my setup is a whine and MAYBE a slight increase in low-to-mid torque.

I'm just not convinced if Larry or anyone at Steeda isn't willing to dyno this piece to let us know what kind of proven gains it has.

On the contrary, I also find it interesting that Steeda did not install the TBS on the Steeda Fusion. That's actually more of a reason why I haven't bought it yet. If it was on the Steeda Fusion, it would probably be on order.

·
Registered
43 Posts
does anyone have both the TBS and CAI w/o the tune for the 3.0L?

what does it sound like? and can you hear it with the hood closed?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=CPreston link=topic=88669.msg1841644#msg1841644 date=1194565354]
does anyone have both the TBS and CAI w/o the tune for the 3.0L?

what does it sound like? and can you hear it with the hood closed?
[/quote] I ran mine for about a month with tbs and cai before I got my tuner, you can definately notice the sound with the hood closed, especially when you pin it. It's definately sucking in some air!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Wasn't a whistle, more like a deep growl. Didn't really notice it until you put your foot in to it, not annoying at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts