FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering buying the Sports suspension package and putting it on my I4 SE.

I don't have a lift I can use. I have steel ramps, a floor jack, and jack stands. I also have a torque wrench and hand ratchets but no impact wrench.

Is this something I can do myself in my driveway, or am I going to need to take it to a shop? Will I need a spring compressor?

·
Registered
840 Posts
if you replace springs on the existing shocks/dampers its annoying to do on your own. but if you do springs and new shocks/dampers its a lot easier because you can compress the springs usually with out much issue. you shouldn't need to many special tools.

·
Registered
148 Posts
YOU WILL NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR. I typed that in all caps to get your attention. Replacing the springs and shocks is not all that difficult and can be done with the equipment you mentioned. But I am not joking when I say that messing with the springs without using a spring compressor (or using it improperly) can result in the DEATH of you or someone in the immediate vicinity. (See, look, no smileys, no kidding) Most auto supply stores rent them for cheap and some will even give you a quick demo on how to use it if you ask. Why risk it?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Changing out the dampers in the front are no big deal at all...........those rear dampers look like they're going to be b****es

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=93193.msg1821145#msg1821145 date=1193797091]
Changing out the dampers in the front are no big deal at all...........those rear dampers look like they're going to be b****es
[/quote]

Not that bad, just mke sure you have an set of offset wrenches.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've got a set of 25 degree offset ratcheting wrenches....what size do I need? I don't have a full metric set.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I actually thought the rears looked rather easy compared to the fronts which also don't look that hard. If you follow these instructions, it looks time consuming but not that hard. What are offset wrenches. Also, it shows the springs with a 0-something mm from the spring seat. What do you recommend? If you put it right up against the seat will that cause rattles? Is it really as easy as following these instructions or are there other things that make it tougher? I'm thinking of getting a set of eibachs and attacking it myself. Also, is a spring compressor required in the rear? Or can you just lower it down after loosening the LCA?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
You do not need compressors for the rear. Just be careful when lowering the LCA with the factory spring, it stores a lot of energy. On one side of mine it got caught up and didn't come down with the floor jack (thereisnospoon's did this on both sides). Took the jack handle and a hammer and just lightly tapped it. It shot down with enough force that it took a chunk out of the concrete floor :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
wouldn't hurt to use the compressor sounds like. what about my other questions? thx

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=iowaguy link=topic=93193.msg1827598#msg1827598 date=1194025347]
wouldn't hurt to use the compressor sounds like. what about my other questions? thx
[/quote]

The problem is that there's no good way to use the compressors on the rear. You'll see what I mean when you get into it.

As far as your other question, here is what Eibach says on their website (and I followed) and I don't have any noises:

Leave a ¼" to ½" space between the end of the coil and the spring seat pocket. This will help prevent spring noise when encountering large bumps.
I'll PM you with some different instructions that were helpful.

·
Registered
382 Posts
aaah, perhaps that is why some on here have terrible noises? thx for your help. one more thing, what's your thought on these $99 ebay springs? are the eibachs worth another $100? I'm thinkin so but have never done any kind of spring work but friends have eibachs and are happy. so a spring compressor and a torque wrench and regular tools and you're in business?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=iowaguy link=topic=93193.msg1828303#msg1828303 date=1194040028]
aaah, perhaps that is why some on here have terrible noises? thx for your help. one more thing, what's your thought on these $99 ebay springs? are the eibachs worth another $100? I'm thinkin so but have never done any kind of spring work but friends have eibachs and are happy. so a spring compressor and a torque wrench and regular tools and you're in business?
[/quote]

I'm all for the Eibachs, but Governator's had good luck with the AG ($99) springs. The only problem I see with the AG's is that the ebay supplier is out of stock until January (IIRC). Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Steeda is also running a holiday special on their springs now, which are supposedely a good choice, too.

http://www.steedafusion.com/store/specials.php

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
iowaguy - offset wrenches are like regulars except either offset by 15, 25 or 75 degrees. They make ratcheting box end, non-ratcheting box end, open end, etc. They make getting into tougher spaces possible (and still getting a decent amount of grip and torque). These are the best wrenches I've ever bought:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943376000P?vName=Tools&keyword=offset+wrench

They go on sale for 20 bucks every now and then (like through tonight).

The only issue with this set is that 16 and 18 are not even anywhere in the set. 17? I can live without it.

So, I had to get this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00996851000P?vName=Tools&keyword=offset+wrench

I love these things.

·
Registered
382 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=93193.msg1828862#msg1828862 date=1194060680]
iowaguy - offset wrenches are like regulars except either offset by 15, 25 or 75 degrees. They make ratcheting box end, non-ratcheting box end, open end, etc. They make getting into tougher spaces possible (and still getting a decent amount of grip and torque). These are the best wrenches I've ever bought:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943376000P?vName=Tools&keyword=offset+wrench

They go on sale for 20 bucks every now and then (like through tonight).

The only issue with this set is that 16 and 18 are not even anywhere in the set. 17? I can live without it.

So, I had to get this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00996851000P?vName=Tools&keyword=offset+wrench

I love these things.
[/quote]

well, i have some craftsman ratcheting wrenches but they aren't this type, just regular wrenches. Will they work in a pinch? No pun intended. I think I'm going to order the Eibachs soon.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
FYI, when I changed the springs on a Zephyr, the rears were pretty easy to do but the front were impossible. I borrowed a psring compressor from Murrays but the front was too compact for it to work correctly.Ended up taking the spring and shock combo as a whole to a shop to get it taken off and switched over to the H & R springs. Anywaym the next time I had to do the job, I just took it to a shop. Didnt want the headache again. Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=93193.msg1829227#msg1829227 date=1194090071]
FYI, when I changed the springs on a Zephyr, the rears were pretty easy to do but the front were impossible. I borrowed a psring compressor from Murrays but the front was too compact for it to work correctly.Ended up taking the spring and shock combo as a whole to a shop to get it taken off and switched over to the H & R springs. Anywaym the next time I had to do the job, I just took it to a shop. Didnt want the headache again. Good luck :lol:
[/quote]

The spring compressors you get from Autozone work fine, although they're quite laborious. My little air compressor had a hard time keeping up while using an impact wrench on them. Just gave up and used a regular ratchet. Got a good workout that day :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
iowaguy, what you have should definitely be all you need for the Eibach job.

I know the ones you have...just a straight version of mine, right?

I'm trying to think of all the bolts you can loosen with those wrenches for that job and can't really see how you would need anything other than those wrenches and a good set of metric sockets (and preferably a 1/2" drive torque wrench for the ones you need to juice to 76ft-lb.). But, we did it with a 3/8" drive torque wrench last time and managed just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.