FordFusionClub.com banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I think the rear doors are the same as the front, a full component setup. There is a grille in the same spot as the front door. Also, it's listed as a 12 speaker setup:

8 in all 4 doors (mid + tweeter in each)
1 in dash
2 in rear shelf
1 sub
I listed 12 speakers prior lol

I know the MKZ has a co-axial speaker in each of the rear doors which is one speaker with a woofer and tweeter built in. Ford counts this as two speakers so my write up above should still be correct.

If the rears were separates (as the fronts are) there would be a tweeter mounted in a different location than the woofer. If this is the case, where is the tweeter grill located on the rear doors? I'd like to know for reference.

Also, the Sony 12-speakers has TWO 6x9 woofers in thelf, not one. The is a small centre channel speaker (about 4" in size?) on the parcel shelf between the two subs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I listed 12 speakers prior lol

I know the MKZ has a co-axial speaker in each of the rear doors which is one speaker with a woofer and tweeter built in. Ford counts this as two speakers so my write up above should still be correct.

If the rears were separates (as the fronts are) there would be a tweeter mounted in a different location than the woofer. If this is the case, where is the tweeter grill located on the rear doors? I'd like to know for reference.

Also, the Sony 12-speakers has TWO 6x9 woofers in thelf, not one. The is a small centre channel speaker (about 4" in size?) on the parcel shelf between the two subs.
Right, two in the rear shelf + 1 sub. Pretty sure they don't consider the 6x9s to be the subs, it only lists "one subwoofer".

I was not aware Ford considers a coaxial as two speakers, which is what my comment was directed at, it seemed like you only had 10. Either way, I think we're on the same page ;)

Anyways, I attached the photo of the tweeter in the rear door, like I said - there is a speaker cover in the same spot as the front door, and you can see the reflection of the cone.

I'm just worried about what size the woofers are. If it's 6x9, that would be awesome since CDT makes a 6x9 component set. Otherwise, hopefully it can fit a 6.5" with an adapter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ahhh so they've changed then. The my Lincoln did not have a set of separates in the rear.

The subs ARE (unless they've changed again?) 2 x 6x9 in the parcel shelf with a single small full way in the centre. These are free-air subs (with heavy magnets for their size!) Pic for reference:
I can take a picture of my rear shelf tonight. Just basing it off what Ford said again. Might be a 6" woofer.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Ok, first of all, I'm basing my thoughts on the 2010-2012 model years - so the 2013's could be different, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I'm quite certain that what you are reading and quoting is the same jargon that is used for the Edge and the Focus. I know for sure the Edge only has one sub on the passenger side near the hatch, and I'm thinking the Focus may too. The Edge, as an example, has ONE sub but on the C pillars have a 4" speaker built in, so it's almost the inverse. But I can pretty much guarantee you, 100%, that in your case those two 6x9's are subwoofers. Whoever wrote that article is incorrect in the way they have used it for the Fusion.

Let me give you the "12 speaker" breakdown again:

1 FL tweeter
1 FL woofer
1 FR tweeter
1 FR woofer
1 from centre channel 4"
1 RL tweeter
1 RL woofer
1 RR tweeter
1 RR woofer
2 x 6x9 mid-woofers
1 rear centre channel 4"

This is the wiring diagram for the THX stereo in the Lincoln. The only difference between the two is the DSP module, additional power, and two extra speakers in front on the dash (3 instead of 1).

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/543/radiothx2.png

There are "12" speakers listed. 2 of which are subwoofers. As previously mentioned, Ford counts the 2-way coaxials in the rear doors as independent units which totals 14.

Hope this helps to clear any confusion :)

Josh.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess I'll give up for now, it doesn't really matter since I'm planning on overhauling it anyways. I'm not sure why you're comparing Lincoln THX system or feel so strongly that they didn't change it for 2013 (since you based your thoughts on the 10-12 models).

The simple fact is it doesn't match that wiring diagram you posted. The "only" difference being the extra speakers and power isn't really something to be ignored, it's a different system. Not to mention the Fusion is not advertised as a THX system. To quote Lincoln's site:

"This premium sound system, custom-tuned to each Lincoln model, puts out 700 watts of power, features 14 strategically placed speakers, including two 6-inch x 9-inch subwoofers, and a single-disc in-dash CD player with MP3 capability."

So that matches what you're describing, but for the Lincoln.

If I get a chance sometime, I'll pop the grille on the rear center speaker and measure the actual size. I don't think it's only 4 inches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2 15s is not going to boost the "overall volume", sorry. It will be louder in the bass department, for sure, but if you want a balanced setup, you have to upgrade the other parts, too.
it does boost the volume up if you switch out head units. cause usually there is a built in amp in the radio. higher than stock. so there will be a little differnce but not much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
it does boost the volume up if you switch out head units. cause usually there is a built in amp in the radio. higher than stock. so there will be a little differnce but not much.
Well we are talking about different things, then. Adding subs would usually involve adding an external amp, which of course would boost the bass. You don't necessarily need to swap the radio for that. That being said, at least with the 12 speaker Sony MFT system, it already uses an external amp, so it wouldn't even do anything other than make it easier to run your own amps.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts