FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I crunk my car this morning and went to the exhaust and noticed a slight caughing or spitting sound. From the little bit I know, that would be a need for new spark plugs, correct? Oh, also, when I start the car on a cold engine, sometimes it makes a loud screech noise for about .5 second as soon as it turns over. That would be a need for another belt, correct? I haven't checked the belt yet, but I will do that as soon as I get home this evening. :ughhug:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Belt sounds like a positive-either tighten or replace. Not sure about the coughing. How many miles you got on that unit Cease?

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as the belt is concerned if your car is an I-4 mine does that quite often on cold starts w/ ac on? It's just a slight screeech for like you said like a half second. I dont think it is anything really serious. How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
40800 miles. Yeah, it is a lot. I got it with 19000 on it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=85747.msg1624839#msg1624839 date=1186673011]
40800 miles. Yeah, it is a lot. I got it with 19000 on it.
[/quote]
Yea, but still, 40k is not tune-up time on these things is it? Like merlot said, the belt is no biggie-I can see that happening especially w/ac turned on. The coughing & shit is probably nothin' either but I'd want to know what it is. Maybe u need to reload your tune? IDK

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=06MerlotSE link=topic=85747.msg1624755#msg1624755 date=1186671590]
As far as the belt is concerned if your car is an I-4 mine does that quite often on cold starts w/ ac on? It's just a slight screeech for like you said like a half second. I dont think it is anything really serious. How many miles are on the car?
[/quote]

If you read the edmunds townhall forums at all, a lot of people have the belt screech like this (including myself). Only happens to me after the car's been sitting overnight. I'm not worried about it, personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The noise has something to do with the A/C purging the liquid refrigerant that has pooled in the compressor and is normal. If you have a factory service manual, it talks about it towards the front of the climate control section.

Here are some things I found from various websites:

"Like other OEMS, Ford now uses an anti-slugging strategy in which the A/C compressor is energized during engine cranking so any refrigerant pooled in the compressor will be moved out of the way. Ford's name for this strategy is CASS - the Compressor Anti-Slugging Strategy. This automatic operation may cause an odd grunt or pop noise at engine start, so be ready to explain it if a customer complains. But CASS is not alway in use; certain time and temperature conditions must be met before it applies. CASS is initiated only under specific conditions"

"The ignition is off for more than 8 hours
The ambient temperature is above -4°C (25°F)
Battery voltage is above 8.5 volts during engine cranking

When these conditions are present, the powertrain control module (PCM) will activate the A/C control relay prior to cranking of the engine. The A/C control relay engages the A/C compressor for approximately 4-15 A/C compressor revolutions or a maximum of two seconds (depending upon vehicle application), allowing the liquid refrigerant to be pushed from the A/C compressor. CASS is initiated by the PCM regardless of the function selector switch position."

I think I read somewhere else that it will can also sound like a quick belt squeal.

Hope this helps,

Gerry

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=AirForceGuy link=topic=85747.msg1629888#msg1629888 date=1186804570]

Hope this helps,

[/quote]

Sure does, thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Check out this TSB for the squeak, also if you haven't already, try seeing if the dealer will do a computer reflash for you car. More info for those are also in the TSB section.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. It is just that that squeak is a little embarrasing when in public.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts