FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of a 'donut' spare tire so I decided to install an extra wheel and rim the same as what I put on the car. Suprisingly the tire well area in the trunk will accomodate an 18" 225/45. This is definetly the limit of outside diameter that will fit as it is snug but does fits very well. Keep in the confines of stock size outside diameter and any combination will work. The only downside is that the trunk liner carpet is held up about 2 inches because of the increased rim width as the original donut was very narrow. Now if I have a flat I can deal with replacing the flat tire with a new one at my convenience and not have to worry about it or try to do it on the highway or possibly at night (after hours) when no auto repair facility is open.
Those of use here with the AWD feature this is even more critical as my 'donuts' outside diameter measured 24 1/2 inches while my current rims/tires measure 25 1/2 inches.(which is also stock size O.D.) Very bad to drive an AWD vehicle with 3 rims at one diameter and 1 rim a different diameter (i.e. mismatched tire sizes).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for the info on this - that's very good to know. I think I'm going to remove my donut and replace it with my scuffed up OEM rim with a new tire on it. It ain't gonna be a Michelin pilot though!!

Did you notice that your car rides any different? I imagine a stocker tire is going to be heavier by comparison than that donut.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=87884.msg1683768#msg1683768 date=1188665987]
Thanks for the info on this - that's very good to know. I think I'm going to remove my donut and replace it with my scuffed up OEM rim with a new tire on it. It ain't gonna be a Michelin pilot though!!

Did you notice that your car rides any different? I imagine a stocker tire is going to be heavier by comparison than that donut.
[/quote] I think a couple bags of groceries with a donut tire are equal in weight. ;)

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=87884.msg1683768#msg1683768 date=1188665987]

[/quote]

Nospoon,

There is no real noticable difference in ride or handling. If anything the extra weight will be good for me in the winter with the AWD feature.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sweet....that's all the more reason for me to do it then with the old stockers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.