FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my V6 fusion to have 2 magna flow mufflers put on it and the guy that did the work for me said he could take off a thing called a resonator (sound damper as he put it)
i have no idea what this does besides make my exhaust more quiet. has anyone else taken this off?
i dont want my car throwing engine codes at me.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=A_bishop07 link=topic=88345.msg1694492#msg1694492 date=1189110865]
i took my V6 fusion to have 2 magna flow mufflers put on it and the guy that did the work for me said he could take off a thing called a resonator (sound damper as he put it)
i have no idea what this does besides make my exhaust more quiet. has anyone else taken this off?
i dont want my car throwing engine codes at me.
[/quote]

there are a few people that have taken it off. you will not get a code as long as you do not take the cat off. It will just make the car a little louder so it is a personal choice as to what you do. If i were you i will see how the mufflers sound before you do it. then if you want it louder then take them/it off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i already have had the mufflers for about 2 months. its just not loud when i rev it up. only when im driving is when i can hear it. ill take it off soon prob. its only gonna cost 20$ to do it. so what the hell

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i get a chance ill load a link to a video of b4 i take off the sound damper and after. ill be sure to get a pic of this thing too

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I rremoved mine, here's a couple pics. after, yes, after these were taken I sanded the pipe down and put on some high heat paint.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Looks good. I checked out the rest of your pix and that is the same way the muffler shop did my muffler. Cut right before the muffler then make a pipe to finish it all off. Much cheaper than a full cat back, sounds great and i am sure there is not a lot of performance diff since the magnaflow cat back uses the same size pipe as stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot kevjur. ill be having mine taken off here for sure soon. its sounds great in that clip

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Once he has your car up on the hoist, if you look at the factory exhaust, the worst restriction is the resonator, at least on mine, it looks like they squished it to make room for the driveshaft.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya the AWD fusions barely had room for it. i work at a Jiffy lube and an AWD came in the other day and i was lookin at it. my FWD car has plenty of room for it lol. ill be having it taken off tomorrow i think

·
Registered
87 Posts
HEY THANX SLATER, Yeah They Really Did.and i cant beleive this guy did it under an hour.I Mean he was bending pipes,cutting,welding,and measuring so fast ....He Really Knew What He was doing :shock:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=sergioakakobe link=topic=88345.msg1797186#msg1797186 date=1192949685]
HEY THANX SLATER, Yeah They Really Did.and i cant beleive this guy did it under an hour.I Mean he was bending pipes,cutting,welding,and measuring so fast ....He Really Knew What He was doing :shock:
[/quote]

Ya that was the same with the shop i took mine to. I have used them for years. Ever since they did a custom flowmaster system for my 89 MR2. You want to talk about a hard system to custom make.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is my 1st post and I wanted to add on the resonator topic. I just came back from the muffler shop about 6 hours ago I removed the resonator and removed the rear mufflers and just put a straight pipe on both sides I went ahead and put in my stock "chrome" tips and its sounds nice to my ears I don’t know how everyone else feels put I’ll be putting a video up pretty soon. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=mario_0916 link=topic=88345.msg1824032#msg1824032 date=1193884862]
This is my 1st post and I wanted to add on the resonator topic. I just came back from the muffler shop about 6 hours ago I removed the resonator and removed the rear mufflers and just put a straight pipe on both sides I went ahead and put in my stock "chrome" tips and its sounds nice to my ears I don’t know how everyone else feels put I’ll be putting a video up pretty soon. :klavergreg:
[/quote]

welcome to the board. I think you may be the first one to put on straight pipes. i want to hear how loud that is. I like straight pipes on the mustang but now sure about my fusion :lol:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=88345.msg1824495#msg1824495 date=1193918871]
[quote author=mario_0916 link=topic=88345.msg1824032#msg1824032 date=1193884862]
[/quote]

welcome to the board. I think you may be the first one to put on straight pipes. i want to hear how loud that is. I like straight pipes on the mustang but now sure about my fusion :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah, I've never been a fan of straight pipes on NA 4 cylinder cars. Maybe his V6 sounds better than I'm expecting it to..

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
ya i know the NA 4 cyl's sound nasty with straight pipes. If you have ever heard a Spec Miata race car that is the loudes and most ear shattering sound in the world. But on the other hand a turbo 4cyl with straight pipe(s) sound great. The Dodge Neon SRT-4 comes from the factory with no muffler at all. It has 2 resinators but no muffler. Then most people take those off and put a cat back or turbo back on it and make them even louder but they sound great nice and deep not high pitched and raspy like the miata

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.