FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the black chrome is outrageously expensive :lol:
My body guy tested some things on some broken pieces, since he's never tried tinting headlights or chromed plastic, haha.

Here I labeled the different preps he tried on the grill piece, the picture doesn't really show it, but the scuffed part ended up the best. The upper and lower grills will be scuffed and sprayed. (adhesion promoter then a clear/black mix [basically a candy coat], then more clear over)

On the headlight he sanded it with a DA and shot the same as the grill. I'm pretty happy with it.

The taillights will be darker than the headlights, and I will finally have a chrome-free Fusion. :D

The car should be done Monday, and I'll post the finished pictures :)

If the clear/black mix doesn't stick on the grill after rocks and bugs take their toll, I'll probably be painting them body color.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Some test spraying (grill piece, headlight)

Here's the before:

It looks dark because it's a crappy overcast day, but the grill and headlights are actually a bit lighter.

NO MOAR CHROME.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow those look dark and cool
but I would imagine a magnet for the cops!!

Bose

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not as dark as the pictures make it seem. They look pretty much like the test spray picture.

I'll see how they do tonight on the way to and from class (150 miles round trip), but I'd assume it won't be bad at all. If so, I guess it's HID time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree it's a nice sporty look for a Fusion,

but if you didn't like the chrome to start with, why choose a Fusion in the first place? There are a lot of chrome-less cars out there... :?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=seawolf link=topic=94083.msg1851121#msg1851121 date=1194977078]
I agree it's a nice sporty look for a Fusion,

but if you didn't like the chrome to start with, why choose a Fusion in the first place? There are a lot of chrome-less cars out there... :?
[/quote]

The Fusion was a total impulse buy. :lol: My starter went out on my SVT Focus one morning, and my mom had an 06 Fusion, so I just took the Focus to the dealership and traded it in. I didn't think about it for more than 20 minutes. I'm real intelligent like that. However, the chrome and the handling are my only complaints, and now one is fixed. :D

Also, the night driving report: It's the same as far as I can tell. 8)
Although my brights seem to be less wide, I assume that's in the headlight aiming.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I love the look. Too bad in PA you would get a citation for dark head/tail lights.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
However, the chrome and the handling are my only complaints, and now one is fixed. Very Happy
Now all you need to do is come over here with us to the Suspension forum - we'll get those handling issues straightened out in a HURRY!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You need some dark dark rims now. I don't like it, but to each his own. As long as you like it. Deffinitely unique.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is mine with the headlights tinted. I need to finish shaving the emblem off the rear and the final wet sand n clearcoat - then i'll post all pix in the gallery and whatnot, but all lights are tinted including side markers. My bf custom painted stripe in gunmetal and prismatic hue. Looks sick!!!

Steph

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here are a few more pix before I tinted the lights...here you can REALLY see the prismatic hue. Nice n sparkly :) Can you tell I'ma girl??? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not at all - from the angle I sit in the car, it doesn't even show up. From some angles it's just the base coat Gunmetal and others the rainbow flake. It's so neat! It REALLY shows up under street lights (like when you're in a grocery store parking lot). The rain drops really pick up the colors too. Just something you gotta see in person man...

Here is the wheel powder coated with prismatic black too :)

Thanks for the comment Sl8r!
Steph

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hey, you are on your way to winning "Fusion of the Month"!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Cease,

Who is, me????????????? :D

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
[quote author=obehave888802 link=topic=94083.msg1921521#msg1921521 date=1197669193]
Hey Cease,

Who is, me????????????? :D
[/quote]

:goodjob: Bingo!! Your ride is truly unique.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cool beans...what we win? Just get the recognition? :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts