FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets get it out of the way and say it. First post here, i'm new. :D

I got tired of waiting for precut/pre-made taillight kits to come out for our cars. Not to mention many people told me they would have to apply themselves due to the complex angles and curves on our taillights so i ordered a kit and decided to do it myself (they told me only a profesional could do it....I love it when someone tells me i cant do something)

I purchased 2 sheets of 12"x24" Smoke Tail Light Vinyl Ebay Link Here

Its a nice kit, cheap and comes with very good instructions and the squeegee you need to apply it.

Kit Includes:
1 Smoke Out High Performance Vinyl Sheet 24” x 12”
1 High Quality Application Squeegee
1 Install Sheet

Required Hardware / Ingredients :
• 1 Quart Spray Bottle
• Heat Gun or Hair Dryer
• 1 Bottle Isopropyl Alcohol (70%)
• White Squeegee (included)
• XActo Knife

I got the kit today and i quickly stole my gfs hairdryer and got my soapy water solution (since i didnt have alcohol and i know people who tint windows use soapy water too). The sheets fit perfectly with about 5" strip to spare (i was gonna use them to tint my turn signals in the front but i accidentally dropped one piece and it got scratched so ill have to buy a small amount to do that).

Application is pretty time comsumming, you have to apply the back of the lens first and then slowly work out the bubbles and heat/stretch the vinyl around all the round areas while being VERY carefull to always keep the surface wet so it dosent scratch or tear while your using the squeegee. You basically have to apply, stretch, pull it back wet it again, stretch work out bubbles for a few times before you get the right shape.

Anyways, the instructions will tell you how to do it, i recommend this to anyone who wants to get their taillights a new look and has A LOT OF PATIENCE. If you try to rush this it will come out like crap ive never worked with vinyl on a round surface and i'm pretty happy with the results.

Heres the finish result.

If you guys have any questions let me know ill try to answer as best as i can.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks great!!! Not too dark, perfect!!!

I start my project on my tail light mod today!

·
Registered
407 Posts
[quote author=bassnutz link=topic=78701.msg1440440#msg1440440 date=1180257998]
Looks great!!! Not too dark, perfect!!! I wonder it they would fit the headlights?

I start my project on my tail light mod today!
[/quote]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah its even easier to do on headlights due to their shape, if you buy 2 more kits it should be easy to do all 4 lights at the same time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope its Vinyl Tint and not window tint which will not work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Backside that looks great. I tried this about 6+ months ago and couldn't make it work. I had problems with the complex curve and didn't have the patience to keep working with it. As I've mentioned in other posts on this subject- I consider my problems "user error". I really like the look and wish I could find someone local that could do it to mine. Nice job!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah like i said you need patience.

Check out this video, it helped me A LOT on the techniques

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/v/TNwRBS0UcAg[/flash]

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Sorry for the ignorance, but is tinting these tail lights illegal? I was thinking of doing this but someone was telling me I'd get pulled over for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah its not illegal man, as long as you can see the lights at night which the tint you can see perfectly at night when they are on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cool, I just ordered me up a set for my headlights.

I have other plans for the tail lights. :evil grin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
you can do this, or you can do what i did on mine... just buy a special spray paint and depending on how dark you want it, thats how many coats you put. I dont have good painting skills so i took mine to a shop. They charged 80 bucks for both. Or if you think you are picaso, then the can costs 25 bucks at the shop i seen them at.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You painted the hubcaps too. :lol: I know you're from CA but can't you tint the passenger windows or is that a law now? Paint your muffler tips too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i know they have legal front window tint, but its like a very very clear tint, basically it doesnt even look like you tinted but they claim it keep your car cooler during the summer, blocks i think about 75% of the sun. um but i dont give a fuck and later on when i have money i'll tint them for now, i'm ok. Yea i am going to paint them gloss black, but this is a kinda old pic i bought the magnaflow exhaust system, i been trying to get a video of it on here, because i have the I4. um and yes i painted the caps, for now till i get my rims :lol:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Get a video of the Magnaflow cat, please. That is the next mod I'm doing too and I'd like to hear it. I've heard the V6 cat but not the I-4 manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in California too and my front windows are tinted %50, cops don't bother you unless you give them a reason to specially if you live in a hot area like i do (Palm Springs).

As for painting the taillights i would have do that but i didnt want to change it permanently incase i want to sell them if aftermarket lights come out or i sell the car. My friend owns the body shop for the local ford dealership and he does painted ones all the time, all they do it tint some clear coat with black and spray them, they come out really really well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey MRC, i posted a video on the exhaust. its on the engine and drive section under magnaflow its one of the first topics you will see.

I live in a very small town about 15 thousand people and cops dont have nothing else to do but to pull u over any little thing. I know that in cities they hardly tell u anything, but they dont even bother u huh? i'll have to try and tint them at that same level 2. and just be careful around this town.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts