FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 3.0 has 43,000 miles, and I have started noticing a distinct smell when I get out of the car after driving. Can't quite place what it is, but suspect it may be antifreeze. Water temp is fine but the radiator looked a little low yesterday. Nothing is leaking onto the ground, and oil looks okay. I am concerned that this may be a head gasket or something. Any similar issues out there. I'm going to take it to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Randy,

Sorry to hear about the problem. I have never heard of anybody needing their head replaced on the Fusion yet.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, now it's time to sound really stupid. I was able to look under the car today, and a large plastic bag has gotten wrapped around the exhaust, and has burned and melted onto the surface of the exhaust system. I think this is my smell. I can't scrape it off--it is just going to have to burn off with time.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Well thats hope that was the problem. Sounds like a cheap fix considering what the other alternatives could of been!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Randy,

Sorry to hear about the bag. I've heard of this happening to others and yes, you just have to wait until it burns off. Whenever the wind blows one under the car while driving, I check the mirrors and breath a sigh of relief knowing it's not stuck to the exhaust.

If you can, please update us when it burns off, I'm curious as to how long it will take.

Thanks!

·
Registered
833 Posts
LOL...the same thing happen to me about a month ago. I still get a little whiff once in a while.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I guess it puts a bit of a damper on the new car smell. :shock:

·
Registered
799 Posts
That happened to a friend of mine's T-Bird. We tried to scrape the garbage bag off but it was really melted all over the mid-pipe and continued to stink like crazy. He ended up having a muffler shop replace that section of pipe.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It happened to my Dad on his mustang and he ended up taking it to the dealer. They were nice enough to tell him it was just a plastic bag and scrapped it off for him. Free of charge thank goodness.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yea I hate that smell always gives me a sore throat

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi FM,

I think you should crack the window if driving long distances. It's possible that there are some dangerous chemicals coming into the cabin from the remains of the bag burning at high temps from the exhaust.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thats true too, I agree because that contains bad fumes that could potentially be harmful :?

·
Registered
969 Posts
AMEN lol :shock: :cheers:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Good lol :klavergreg:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts