FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a hurry yesterday, and I was behind a truck. I was preparing myself to pass as soon as I got the opportunity. When it looked rewarding, a car was coming, but I had the chance to get around the truck in time. I masshed the gas to unleash the little power my I4 has to get around the truck, but the engine down shifted, RPMs increased, but the car didn't accelerate!!! WTF??!!! I stayed behind the truck to avoid the possibility of having to make the other car slow down because of my sluggish acceleration. I am thinking that maybe the weight of my rims was a little too heavy to get the up-and-go that I wanted, but, I think it should have done better than that. I definitely am going to get a CAI, exhaust, and hopefully tunes as soon as I can start catching and holding on to my money. I am really disappointed in my baby. Anyone else had this issue (preferably ones with heavy rims)?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely your heavy rims. I have the same drivetrain and would have no problem passing.

That's part of the reason I'm not a fan of chrome 20's :dhl:

The scary part is your braking performance is effected just as badly.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=smallbigtall link=topic=89473.msg1723864#msg1723864 date=1190210926]
Drive a manual.
[/quote]

LOL, that wouldn't make that big of a difference, here. The 2.3 just doesn't have enough juice to get 40 lb.+ rims spinning.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=89473.msg1724137#msg1724137 date=1190218147]
Trade it in for a V6...
[/quote]

It is a thought, but I will stick with my I4 for now.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=89473.msg1724157#msg1724157 date=1190218689]
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=89473.msg1724137#msg1724137 date=1190218147]
Trade it in for a V6...
[/quote]

It is a thought, but I will stick with my I4 for now.
[/quote]
Hey Cease :af:
Has MRC had any problems with his? You guys are running the same set up or at least close aren't ya?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=89473.msg1724176#msg1724176 date=1190219053]
I think MRC only has 18" wheels....
[/quote]
Is there that much weight difference between the two? As I think about, doesn't Cease have some big azz tires on there too?

·
Registered
840 Posts
yeah, those rims will ruin your accel/performance. nothing you can do to help that, but get performance mods, or get way lighter rims.

the rims i wanna get are about 2lbs lighter then mine, but they're 18's. that will probably equal out when i get tires on it. even then, 18-20" is alot of extra rotational mass on the car, slow downs are bound to happen.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=89473.msg1724198#msg1724198 date=1190219650]

Is there that much weight difference between the two? As I think about, doesn't Cease have some big azz tires on there too?
[/quote]

There's probably close to a 5-10 lb. difference in weight between the two, which is fairly drastic.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MRC has the mods that I want: tunes, CAI, etc. I can't ask him. Performance mods will be gotten soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
it's not just the total weight of the rims, acceleration is also hindered by the distance of the outer rim lip from the center of the hub (radius). The farther you push the weight from the center of the rim the worse acceleration you will have. Being a heavy ass rim doesn't help, but being a larger and heavier rim is doubly bad. It can be like losing 5-10 whp when you switch to big heavy rims due to increased rotational mass. Less power makes it to the ground.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=JFUSION link=topic=89473.msg1725278#msg1725278 date=1190242741]
it's not just the total weight of the rims, acceleration is also hindered by the distance of the outer rim lip from the center of the hub (radius). The farther you push the weight from the center of the rim the worse acceleration you will have. Being a heavy ass rim doesn't help, but being a larger and heavier rim is doubly bad. It can be like losing 5-10 whp when you switch to big heavy rims due to increased rotational mass. Less power makes it to the ground.
[/quote]
Anybody know the weight on the 17'' SEL wheels and 18" wheels that DV has? This is becoming a major consideration in wheel options. It would be a shame to do a bunch of engine mods just to get back the HP lost in wheels! :shock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=89473.msg1725308#msg1725308 date=1190243410]
This is becoming a major consideration in wheel options. It would be a shame to do a bunch of engine mods just to get back the HP lost in wheels! :shock:
[/quote]

yeah, I totally underestimated how big of a difference diameter and weight makes. I went back from a 245/45r18 to a 225/40r18, so about a 1" smaller O.D. and about 6 pounds lighter tire and it made a very noticeable difference and that's with the V6. I'd agree with JFusion that's it's like the equivalent of 10 hp.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Interesting thread, I've been doing a boatload of research and shopping out wheels at Tirerack.com and many I see that I like are of widely differing weights so I'm more than curious also how this affects accelleration. Anyone know off hand what the weight is of the OEM 17" alloys? Right now I've got my eye on a set of wheels that weigh 17.5 lbs which are listed as "Lightweight" at TireRack and which have a 40mm offset. Tnx all...

:cheers:

Gov

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Don't know the weight of the stock rims, but 17.5 lbs. is a more than reasonable weight. Shouldn't have a problem at all. The big issue comes when you put "bling" 20's on there that weigh 40-50 lbs. each....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
This is yet another reason why I chose to buy rims that are a few pounds lighter than the stockers. Of course, the V6 is a good upgrade too :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts