505 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=92600.msg1804506#msg1804506 date=1193197613]
Anyone install one on their Fusion?
[/quote]
yes.. I did.

[quote author=kevjur link=topic=92600.msg1804506#msg1804506 date=1193197613]
Do they work with the sat. radio?
[/quote]
yes it does, in fact that's all it works for. the MKZ antenna has the SAT antenna inside but no FM antenna (there is a blank ciruitboard inside which would be for an FM antenna, but its not used) there is also no connection on harness/connector for it.

I'm not sure what the MKZs use for an FM antenna (maybe the "glass" type that was used in the '06 Fusions?). what I did with mine was I kept my Fusion's antenna base and simply swapped the plastic case/shell with the MKZ's. since there was no way to run a mast off it (which doesn't matter because that was the point of switching antennas in the first place ;)) I ran a wire from the mast connector (inside the case) through the harness/connector, down the side pillar and under the rear deck carpet. surprisingly I get better FM reception now than I got with the old ugly mast antenna. it's a win-win :D

if you wanted both SAT and FM then you would have to order the MKZ's FM wiring as well.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks way better IMO ! I never listen to am/fm, only satellite and c.d.s, but I guess it would be nice to have it all working. Thanks for the pictures. I wonder if all of them are molded in black or if you can get other colors, I don't know if paint would stick very well (white).

·
Registered
505 Posts
it comes in a dull flat black (as far as I know that's the only way you can get it).

I painted mine gloss black (it shines more than those pics show). most spray paints don't work well on plastics, but enamel paints like Krylon Fusion work well (that's what I used). Rust-oleum makes a paint for plastics as well (I've never used it so I can't say if it works good or not)

good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts