FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall I am satisfied with my Jusnes-tunes Fusion save for the detonation that occurs at sharp throttle
tip-in. Bob courteously sent me an updated tune that wasn't quite the antidote for the problem. I have posted about this condition in the past and the responses have recommended such things as changing gasoline brands to retarding the timing. Nothing has worked. Some have suggested that I should demand satisfaction from Bob and settle for nothing less. Perhaps so but Bob has been courteous and responsive and I don't wish to antagonize him regarding this matter. I have considered trading the Fusion for an Altima.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Anyone with similar problems?

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=89494.msg1724616#msg1724616 date=1190228916]
Overall I am satisfied with my Jusnes-tunes Fusion save for the detonation that occurs at sharp throttle
tip-in. Bob courteously sent me an updated tune that wasn't quite the antidote for the problem. I have posted about this condition in the past and the responses have recommended such things as changing gasoline brands to retarding the timing. Nothing has worked. Some have suggested that I should demand satisfaction from Bob and settle for nothing less. Perhaps so but Bob has been courteous and responsive and I don't wish to antagonize him regarding this matter. I have considered trading the Fusion for an Altima.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Anyone with similar problems?
[/quote]

Hi fusion66. :wavey: I am one who has responded in the past with suggestions. Learning to "live with it" should not be one of your choices. Neither should "trading the Fusion for an Altima".

I am not sure why you feel that Bob should or would be antagonized if asked to fix a problem which may very well, and certainly seems to be, related to the tunes purchased from him? Considering the testimonials to his service by forum members, he does not seem to be that type. I would assume he would want you to be a satisfied customer.

As I recall, his first attempt at a fix did help slightly. Notify him of this information (actually, I've noticed he monitors the boards, so he may know already), and see what else can be done to alleviate the problem.

That would certainly seem to be a more sensible move than trading in your Fusion, which ran perfectly well before you changed the tune, and would run perfectly well again if you go back to the factory tune.

Even if you and Bob cannot get the car to run correctly with the new tunes, you can always re-flash and go back to the factory tune. Taking a loss by trading in a car which will run perfectly well if you just remove the store bought tunes would be silly.

Hopefully, Bob can address this problem. If he can, great. If not, revert to the factory tune, enjoy your car (as it was tuned from the factory), and I would think you would deserve some sort of compensation.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I would agree. I definitely wouldn't just "live with it", as it'll irk you forever. Reflash back to stock or keep getting at Bob to get the problem fixed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To reflash back to stock would be a retrograde step that I could not long endure having driven the car in its
higher performance guise. I guess I will impose upon Bob to tweak his tweak. I have used the
SCT tuner to retard the ignition cycles but this had little effect on detonation. I frankly wonder whether
Bob can finally provide a solution absent having my car on a dynamometer?

·
Registered
840 Posts
does it work fine w/ stock tunes? if so, put it back for the time being until he gets it right.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Have you tried datalogging with the SCT2 to see if it'll pick up the knock sensor readings? It does, you know...

You could also get one of these: http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html
if you are really worried. A top-quality product that any serious Forced-Induction car would have, & would solve your problems.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi F66,

Sorry to hear about the annoying problem. The Altima is a pretty sweet car but there is no guarantee that the same thing won't happen when you tune that one.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That QR25DE engine wouldn't be able to put up with the same things that the Duratec would be able to put up with: I guarantee you that one.

The VQ35DE 3.5 V6 might be able to handle it, but I'd take a Duratec over jap crap anyday.

Oh, and no I wouldn't learn to live with detonation with any tune. If the stock tune is OK, and the fixed tune worked better, then get a fix to the fix. Eventually it will work. Bob unfortunately can't dyno each and every Fusion that he chips, so he's relying on your feedback to fix any issues.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=89494.msg1728467#msg1728467 date=1190345805]
That QR25DE engine wouldn't be able to put up with the same things that the Duratec would be able to put up with: I guarantee you that one.

The VQ35DE 3.5 V6 might be able to handle it, but I'd take a Duratec over jap crap anyday.
[/quote]

The QR25 is a crap engine, as I ranted about to you on Sunday (from my past experience with Spec-V).

Not to mention, you can't just "tune" most Nissan ECU's. The QR's been out for almost 6 years now, and there has yet to be a viable tune or reflash out for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have driven the Altima with the 3.5 V-6 and I think it offers more than acceptable performance in its stock
setting therefore I would not attempt to tune it (were it possible to do so). Two months-and 1100 miles- ago
my 2006 Fusion was worth 15000 to my area Nissan dealership for a 2007 Altima 3.5SE for a total price of
23500. After much vacillation I decided to keep my Fusion. If Bob can apply his considerable talents to eli-
minating my detonation problem I will truly be content with my purchase. Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I IMPLORE YOU! If youre not 100% happy please let me know! I am more than willing to work on tunes until the kinks are ironed out. Admittedly I had forgotten about the issues you are having, the last few months have been slammed in my personal life, got married, and some other personal hardships, so I have been falling behind on my emails, and I apologize for that.

Please, if you would, send me a detailed email describing the problem, and be sure to include your vehicle specs and strategy code. It is a lot of info to include in an email but it really does expedite the process on my end. If you have already emailed me a while ago, I apologize that it must have slipped through the cracks and got lost in the recent commotion, email me again and I will certainly get it squared away!

·
Registered
407 Posts
HOLY SHIT BOB!!!! Man, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your new bride. Yes, having your home broken into sucks, but what they did to her is unspeakable. My heart goes out to both you and her. I only hope you can both overcome this tragedy.

If I were a praying man, I'd pray for you both.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yeah, don't get a Jap crap engine. Especially that pitiful 2.5. Abbot, yeah, I remember you going off on it. My brother-in-law just bought one of them. He'll like it for a year or so before it falls apart. That being said, there aren't very many old Altimas here on the roads. See lots of new ones, but old ones?

The 35 I guess is acceptable, but it's like accepting the lesser of two evils. Sure, it's got power....but it's still a sneeze-on engine.

They had the problem with engine fires on the QR25 a year ago secondary to oil consumption. They found excessive oil consumption which led to compartment fires - affected 100,000 new Altimas (reportedly). Yet, I don't remember anyone getting any sort of recall notice or it being on the news? I guarantee you if it was Ford or GM, it would have been plastered all over the place.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Bob,

Sorry to hear of what happened. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=89494.msg1731427#msg1731427 date=1190473389]
Yet, I don't remember anyone getting any sort of recall notice or it being on the news?[/quote]

Most of the affected QR's were replaced before the car came to market. So on many 06 Sentras and Alti's, they were already on their second engine before being sold.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bob I am terribly saddened by your recent misfortunes. I am a praying man and I will remember you and your wife to God.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks everyone. Still though, email me to let me know about any tune issues, I am trying to stay on top of it all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts