FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loading my tune today, and noticed that prior to the final "okay" for load the tune, the tuner offers a whole bunch of tuning options, such as changing the spark, wheel/tire size, shift points, etc. Has anyone messed with this stuff?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I started to change the shift points, but stopped due to the fact that they were at MPH and not RPM. I am not sure what my shifts are set at now for MPH. Anyone know for sure what they would be for a 4 cylinder with the 5 speed auto? Bob you out there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having the ability to change spark and fuel comes in handy if you really want your car fine tuned for peak performance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Problem is you could lift your head. Limiters on factory spec usualy mean bolt stress. What I mean is engineers stress test every part of a car then dial it back for lasting power, the norm is any where between 100% to 200% pass spec but you will mile the parts fast. If your going to dial it up you should replace some parts.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Factory speed limiters often are matched to the tire's speed rating.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=CPreston link=topic=89118.msg1841653#msg1841653 date=1194565507]
can someone please explain how the tuner works? do you just plug it in somewhere or what? i don't get it
[/quote]Just plugs in under your dash on the driver's side. There's a little compartment that flips open and has the port right there.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=tony magnolia link=topic=89118.msg1715675#msg1715675 date=1189846798]
I was loading my tune today, and noticed that prior to the final "okay" for load the tune, the tuner offers a whole bunch of tuning options, such as changing the spark, wheel/tire size, shift points, etc. Has anyone messed with this stuff?
[/quote]

The spark should have been changed already in your tune. wheel/tire size you dont want to mess with if you're stock or running stock overall diameter, and at least for the V6, it doesnt matter what you tell the Trans to do, its gonna shift whenever it wants to. I tried to change the shift points but there is a different controller working for the Trans. You need special software from ford to be able to hack into that programming corectly.The only people I know that have it are MRT so I will be going to them to help me change my transmission programming.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Since I use 93 Octane instead of 91 Oct, I have added spark here and there.

+1 or 2 in the 0-2000 range for off-throttle performance.
0 spark change in the 2000-4000 range for saftey (from my turbo days :) )
+2 in the 4000+ range for the highway.

Datalogging on a laptop shows no knock sensor activity at WOT, though I would not add more than +2 degrees since I do not know how many degrees are added by the actual retune itself. [Some knock is worse than no knock] Since fuel grades vary greatly (91 Octane in California is not 91 Octane in Michigan), a few degrees here and there could be added without blowing up the engine. I also gave a 2% fuel increase at WOT on the 93 torque tune.

As with Tony, I tried to make the 2-3 shift later to improve 0-60 time, but it seems to ignore these inputs.

Factory speed limiter is removed already by the aftermarket tune, but you can turn it back on if you want, and specify a speed to do so (limit it to tires max speed, for example).

Not that RLRacing is wrong, but I added 16psi of boost into a 4-cyl small-displacement motor and never once lifted a head under all that stress in 30k+ miles. Neither do any other Ford Focus owners. People tend to throw rods or blow engine bearings before a cylinder head shears off. I would not worry about stressing motor hardware when changing the spark advance or adding fuel...but I would when adding boost. Keeping on-topic, doing these minor tweaks to the ECU is not really "dialing it up".

·
Registered
252 Posts
hmm i just left everything at the deafult settings except i did add +1 for global spark...i have a 06 zephyr with a k & n intake and steeda tb spacer...is there anything else i can improve on, i am also running steedas 93 tune........i also did datalog it on the tuner and i think from a 60 mph punch till redline i had 22 degrees of timing....any thoughts...also how do you do the dat logging with the computer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts