FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an appointment for my fusion to go in tomorrow because of warped rotors. They've been warped for a little while now and the car has 29,000 miles. The dealer says that they are most likely not covered under warranty but they won't know until they get in there. I don't see how they wouldn't be covered under warranty since my warranty is until 36,000 miles. Do they consider rotors a wear and tear item like brake pads? I hope not. Anything I should know before I go in there and yell at them? (if they deny my warranty of course).

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
At 29,000 miles, I'd be very surprised if they cover it. They are wear and tear items. If they had cracked or warped at, say, 3k miles, then you might have a case.

Not like rotors are very expensive anyways (if you're able to change them yourself).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually rotors are covered under warranty up to 36,000 miles. As long as your pads aren't metal to metal you should have no problem having them changed. Just make sure you state that the pedal pulsates and the steering wheel shakes when you brake. Also brake noise is covered too as long as it isn't metal to metal. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

cisco

G

·
They had to re-shave? I guess is the word my rotors. Did not cost me a dime yet now early in the day when I first get in my car my breaks will slightly squeel. After that first or second initial stop they no longer do it. So I'm guessing they are just wet or something.

If I do have to get new rotors I'm def going to get some good ones. I don't wont to go through with this again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Machining/shaving rotors doesnt really fix your problems. This makes the rotors thinner and there for more likely to warp again in the future. Its a temp fix so they dont have to cover them under warranty. Unfortunately this is how Ford goes about fixing this issue. Replacing your rotors is the best way to go about this. Rotors are also covered because they are a hard part. Not a regular maintenance part.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My dealer just machined the rotors on the car at 35,000 miles under warranty. Like said above, it is just a temporary fix - once out of warranty, get some decent aftermarket rotors. The Ford ones are not very good. If the problem reoccurs within the 12/12k fix, I may request new rotors just so I can get laughed at.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so I picked the car up today. They said the rotors are only covered until 12,000 miles and that they are a wear and tear item, rotors are designed to wear out. This made me furious, I yelled at this moron and told him rotors are a hard part, they are not designed to wear out like brake pads are. Then he proceeded to tell me it is 200 dollars to machine all 4 rotors. I told him to go F*** himself. Then they tried to charge a brake service charge. After a little more yelling they gave me my keys back with no charge. While I was there I saw a lady pick up her taurus which had routine maintenance done (belts, oil, flush tranny) etc. She drove off and came back in 2 minutes, her drive belt popped off. I don't trust these guys to touch my car anymore. I called the next nearest dealer about 15 miles away and they said that the rotors are covered until 36,000 miles but if they determine that the brakes got too hot from being driven too hard that Ford will not cover the rotors. I can see where this is going. Absolutely nowhere. The warranty booklet specifically states that the only items not covered are brake pads/lining. It doesn't say anything about rotors not being covered. I think in the end I will probably end up replacing them myself but I will keep going from dealer to dealer until I find one that actually honors a factory warranty. I'm in the phoenix valley and there are a lot of Ford dealers. This maybe take me a while, but for now it can wait a little while, the car stops fine and in a straight line, just vibrates a lot. There I think I'm done ranting for now.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just contact Ford directly and ask about the rotor warranty. I belive it is also 36,000 miles. My dealer said 18,000 but I haven't had to test him yet ( mine were resurfaced at 11,000). If Ford says 36,000 miles than let them know what the dealer is saying and ask for the name of a reputable dealer to have the car repaired. Good luck & let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Man the dealers around there suck. My dealer would of covered it no questions asked. I would contact Ford directly and tell them what happened. Usually if you bug them enough they will contact a local dealer and make them do the work. Good luck and I'm sorry you have some crappy dealerships around there.

cisco

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rotors on any ford veh are 3 yrs 36k miles NO questions about it. If they tell you otherwise tell them to go get you their warr policy and procedure manual and look it up with them. That's just absolute BS! Some car makes do not cover warped rotors but ford sure does. There is a min spec you can turn rotors down to don't be skerd to ask them what the min is and what yours were at after turning. If they turn them below spec they will just warp again and they should be replacing them if they are below spec after resurfacing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife use to work in warranties at a lincon dealership and she would get pissed cause the guys at the desk and the machanics would do this to customers. Usually woman and old people. She asked to move her desk right into the room with the parts desk so she could take care of what was covered and what was not and they sent her to the Toyota dealership owned by the same group of people. When there she was put on the floor after 2 weeks and let go because she could not sell cars. She was hired as a receptionist moved into warranties and was fired cause she could not sell cars. They don't want to cover the things they are suppose to its ridiculous but complain to Ford directly its your best bet. Good Luck

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just like insurance. the customer service reps. seem to be instructed to respond that "it is not covered" so that in most cases the consumer will accept the response and go away. So...here is a novel idea...build a better car...accept and fix it when it has a problem...and save some $$$ by not having to hire so many customer service reps to fix & follow up on the problems! :bananahump:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE! This issue has still not been resolved. I have taken the car to another dealer and they also refused to honor the warranty. I have called 13 dealers and they all have some stupid excuse. There are literally about 50 ford dealers in the Phoenix valley but I give up! I'm done. The car has about 34,500 miles now. I don't have the time to search around. My car has also developed the front end clunk some other members on here have described, but now it also feels loose somewhere in the front end. (Yes I checked the lug nuts). I'm not even going to bother taking it in because they will most likely have some excuse or say it is supposed to be that way. I can safely say this is my first and last Ford. This is my first brand new car and I really liked having something with a warranty, but I now know the warranty is basically useless. I understand that circumstances change by which dealer you go to and what your warranty problem is but this is ridiculous. I work at a motorcycle dealer and I process warranty claims for Aprilia's, Moto Guzzi's, and Bimota's. I know exactly how the warranty game works. (I have even processed 3 claims for warped rotors.) I'm done. I'll keep the car since I like it but I'm going back to nissan next time I purchase.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I also have the infamous "clunk". Have you called Ford directly? I will very interested in what they have to say. AS I said before I had to have my rotors resurfaced at 11,000 m. & now at 26,500 they feel like they are starting again. Let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you called customer relations for your Ford warranty to resolve any disputes at your local dealership? This is the Dearborn number. 1-800-392-3673

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Yup, Ford dealers do suck and they will do their best to not fix your car under warranty if they can sneak out of it.They do the same thing to my Lincoln. I bought a Ford for one reason. My neighbor owns a Ford Dealership and makes sure that I get treated right. after dealing with other dealerships because of convenience I wil now only shop,buy from, and have myvehicle serviced at his place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
what a load of absolute crap. i work for a ford dealership. and we go out of our way to help customers and explain warranty. when in doubt

read the f***ing owners manual and warranty coverage.

and please call the customer service number and get this resolved.

some times there is a reason warranty coverage doesnt apply

we had a customer try to get warranty on his goodyear tires which went bald in 4500 km . but after watching his youtube video of him doing brakees and figure eights in a parking lot we had to say no.

·
Registered
982 Posts
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=91189.msg1944553#msg1944553 date=1198560448]
Yup, Ford dealers do suck and they will do their best to not fix your car under warranty if they can sneak out of it.They do the same thing to my Lincoln. I bought a Ford for one reason. My neighbor owns a Ford Dealership and makes sure that I get treated right. after dealing with other dealerships because of convenience I wil now only shop,buy from, and have myvehicle serviced at his place.
[/quote]

I really can't say I share your opinions. There will always be bad dealerships, and quite often piss-poor service departments, but you have to remember its not ALL dealerships, and certainly not all the Ford ones.

Take Beach Ford in VA Beach for instance...the two times I've had to take my Fusion in (1st time was for a crack I found in my lower grill the day I bought my car, 2nd was to have the driver's window regulator replaced due to excessive noise/popping in the panel) I had appointments made days in advance. Upon arrival my car was checked in, inspected, and then taken directly into a bay. In the waiting area, they have a wall of glass that looks into the service area so I could see everything they were doing. While replacing my grill, the tech came in and asked me if I noticed the pulsing in my brakes, which of course I had. At that point, I was told they would turn the rotors to see if they could correct the problem and if they couldn't they'd order me new ones. Well, about 20 minutes later, he came back said they were ordering new rotors and pads(car had less than 1,000 miles on it at the time) and hooked me up with a loaner for the weekend until the parts came in that Monday. Second visit (for the window) they confirmed the bad regulator, said there was no reason to put the door all back together just to have to tear it all apart again, and once again... gave me a loaner until the parts came in and the repair was complete. And because the noise seemed to be temperature dependent, they even documented leaving the car outside overnight and testing it when the temp was around 40, then bringing it inside to warm up to about 65 and testing it again. The inside was detailed, they checked all my fluids and tire pressure, and even commented on how well my exhaust sounded (and how many alarms it set off while driving it around the lot ;-))

If you're experiencing problems with a dealer, just bring it up with the owner/manager, and definitely call the quality care hotline. I could go on and on about the problems I had with my 2000 Focus (which was later replaced with an 01 by Ford) and the only reason I never lost my cool was because of the dealership, not even the same one I just described... a completely different one in a different state.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=swooshUSN link=topic=91189.msg1945788#msg1945788 date=1198645602]
[quote author=Talisman link=topic=91189.msg1944553#msg1944553 date=1198560448]
[/quote]

I really can't say I share your opinions. There will always be bad dealerships, and quite often piss-poor service departments, but you have to remember its not ALL dealerships, and certainly not all the Ford ones.

Take Beach Ford in VA Beach for instance...the two times I've had to take my Fusion in (1st time was for a crack I found in my lower grill the day I bought my car, 2nd was to have the driver's window regulator replaced due to excessive noise/popping in the panel) I had appointments made days in advance. Upon arrival my car was checked in, inspected, and then taken directly into a bay. In the waiting area, they have a wall of glass that looks into the service area so I could see everything they were doing. While replacing my grill, the tech came in and asked me if I noticed the pulsing in my brakes, which of course I had. At that point, I was told they would turn the rotors to see if they could correct the problem and if they couldn't they'd order me new ones. Well, about 20 minutes later, he came back said they were ordering new rotors and pads(car had less than 1,000 miles on it at the time) and hooked me up with a loaner for the weekend until the parts came in that Monday. Second visit (for the window) they confirmed the bad regulator, said there was no reason to put the door all back together just to have to tear it all apart again, and once again... gave me a loaner until the parts came in and the repair was complete. And because the noise seemed to be temperature dependent, they even documented leaving the car outside overnight and testing it when the temp was around 40, then bringing it inside to warm up to about 65 and testing it again. The inside was detailed, they checked all my fluids and tire pressure, and even commented on how well my exhaust sounded (and how many alarms it set off while driving it around the lot ;-))

If you're experiencing problems with a dealer, just bring it up with the owner/manager, and definitely call the quality care hotline. I could go on and on about the problems I had with my 2000 Focus (which was later replaced with an 01 by Ford) and the only reason I never lost my cool was because of the dealership, not even the same one I just described... a completely different one in a different state.
[/quote]

Yea I completely understand this however the two dealerships I deal with dont give me the service I deserve on a 36k dollar car. Never once has the car been detailed or cleaned and I hate getting loaners because do to the way FORD operates, I get crappy ford(not Lincoln or Mercury) rental vehicles worth half the price of my car. Ive also had dealers deny the work on my Brakes and on my corroding sunroof as things that are not covered under warranty and ignore my advice on what exactly is wrong with my car requiring me to bring it in multiple times when it could have been fixed on the first time. Ive also been turned away when my brakes were too bad to drive on because the dealership was unable to help me or provide a loaner due to being busy(after I was told on the phone to show up that morning) which then resulted in catastrophic failure of the brakes that they refused to warranty the extra damage.

Could I just complain to the manager? Sure. But I shouldnt have to. Thats the issue. And if I take in frickin Lincoln to a Lincoln/Mercury dealership and you have to service it, I should get another Lincoln/Mercury as a loaner, not a baby blue old style ford taurus or pewter windstar minivan. They dont even make the Taurus anymore.

If I had of bought a Lexus or an Acura or any other Luxury brand car, that wouldnt happen. The loaner thing is just pure bad business practice that they say Ford told them they have to follow.

Now obviously there are good dealerships if I mentioned the one my neighbor owns. They were much more helpful over the phone and have agreed to fix everything and are the saving grace but I still dont like the loaner issue.

As a customer I shoudnt have to worry about dealing with any of this from ANY manufacturer. And the fact that I would even need to report someone just makes me want to not buy a Ford again that much more.

P.S. Ive had 6 different loaners in one year due to issues with this car and bad service requiring return trips. Ive probably visited the service department 10 times and im on my way tomorrow to pick up my 7th loaner.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts