FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a six speaker car system with a pioneer reciever.
-I want components in the front and coaxial speakers in the back powered by an amp.

I was looking at speakers at the same price range and some had twice the RMS rating compared to others.
-Provided I have an amp, powering each of the speakers to their highest RMS rating, is it better to get a speaker with a higher RMS rating??? Or is it just more sound, not always better quality speakers??

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am not an expert by any means, but I do know that you want to match the speakers to the headunit/amp that is driving them. If , for instance, you have speakers that are rated from 50-300 watts and you headunit/amp is only 50 watts, then you will not be driving them efficiently. Checkout Crutchfield.com (link below)they have a great weath of info and reasonable prices. In general you'll want to look at the following criteria. This happens to be from the Infinity Reference 5010cs (on sale right now for $90.00) Give them a call they are usually more then glad to help

power range: 2-75 watts RMS (225 watts peak power)
sensitivity: 91 dB (higher is better for low power systems)

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/speakers_component_wtl.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
My best suggestion is do your research. Do not judge a mid/high speaker solely on it's posted RMS handling capacity. A quality 30w RMS speaker will perform better (properly powered) than a budget 150w RMS speaker all day long hands down. A good door speaker should also never see anything below 60hz. Go to your local audio shop and demo their setups and form your own opinions based on sound quality alone(not RMS watts). Unless you're looking at components upwards of $300 for a pair, a quality set should have no more than a 100w RMS rating. This may be sort of a cliche but........an audio system is only as good as it's weakest link. In other words, you could spend a small fortune on top notch audio gear and have a sub-par install.........and still have a crappy system. Good luck, Stev0

·
Registered
359 Posts
my alpine components and coaxils are only 40 watts RMS each, so i ran a 4 channel alpine amp with 40 rms each channel... works great. 40 watts sounds small for a component setup but they are amazing, clear and loud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts