FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. I'am 17 years old and want my fusion to be cool. So far I have 5% tint on the backs and 35% tint on the front. I also have added a Pioneer Avic-D3 in-dash. I was wondering about rims. However I dont not want to spend an arm and a leg. I have a car payment and go to school so money is not the easiest thing to get. I was wondering if 18 inch rims are to small to make a difference in the cars apperence? If not then what would be a good rim to get that is in a good price range? Also would it just be better to possibly chrome the stock rims? If anyone has any ideas of what that may cost. Also any pictures of Fusions with 18 inch rims would be appericated. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
18" too small? Hardly....

I would even go as far as saying that there are plenty of affordable 17" rims that would look considerably better than the stockers. I wouldn't waste money chroming your current rims. Then again, I'm not a fan of chrome on any vehicle :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
[quote author=oneill_sel link=topic=85257.msg1611676#msg1611676 date=1186214014]
I have a quick question. I'am 17 years old and want my fusion to be cool.[/quote]

Umm...it's already cool.

[quote author=oneill_sel link=topic=85257.msg1611676#msg1611676 date=1186214014]
.........I also have added a Pioneer Avic-D3 in-dash. I was wondering about rims. However I dont not want to spend an arm and a leg.....[/quote]

Don't mean to be....presumptuous....but....it sounds like you have a lot of money already via someone else OR the "don't want to spend an arm and a leg" didn't kick in until AFTER the savings account was down a lil bit?

I have a car payment and go to school so money is not the easiest thing to get. I was wondering if 18 inch rims are to small to make a difference in the cars apperence?[/quote]

18" - I have 17" wheels on my SEL and I am told constantly "Hey dude, you need to get bigger rims" - even though it is probably the last thing that I would personally do. My point is that I'm constantly being told that 17" is too small, so 18" is probably STILL too small.

I've seen 20" wheels on this car and they look pretty good as long as you don't go to extreme with the design. I'VE always been a fan of the more Euro styling on cars and think the "chrome bling" looks terrible on cars. Take for example this rim found here:

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=150836&InfoID=2505&ShowLarge=True

Simple, good, alloy, racey look.

Versus this:

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=144402&InfoID=2505&ShowLarge=True

Chrome, bling, barf. Again, just my opinion.

I've seen a lot of the second on this board, so I don't want to step on any toes of anyone around here - - I'm just trying to give my personal opinion since that's what was asked by oneill_sel. The above site is one of the ones where you can see the rim on your car before you buy it.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I have a buddy that the first thing he said after "that's a nice color" when he saw my Milan was that I needed bigger rims. 18" is the largest I'd go, but I'm still planning on trying to paint my stockers before taking the plunge on all new wheels. 17" is really big enough for me. You don't get the ride, handling, braking, acceleration and fuel economy hits that you do when you throw on some heavy 20" rims.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Size of rims all depends on the taste of the driver. I looked at getting 18s at first, but they looked too close to the size of stock for me. I am a 20' fan. You have to consider your driving habits also. If you can't parallel park, you need as much tire as you can get because scratching or bending a rim on a curb can really piss you off. Then, are you willing to take that extra care around pot holes and other obstructions. So, you have to evaluate yourself first. 18s are a nice size, but guys like me like more bling and less rubber. I drive extremely careful, so 20s were a perfect choice for me. Oh, and you are 17? I was taking the bus at that age. :lol: Good to see you are working and going to school. You are on the right path to becoming a well developed MAN.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
17's are not big enough for an upgrade, save up a bit more money and go with 18's minimum. They are a good size on this car, but I would try to look for the widest rim that you can. Many 18's are 7.5" wide, try to find some that are 8" or 8.5" in width. Other benefits of 18's is that you will have a decent sized rim but still have plenty of tire, which means better ride quality than a larger size like 20's, and tire prices for 18's are much cheaper than 20's so if you need a replacement tire it won't break your wallet as much. You are young and one day you'll be making more money, go for the 20's when you have a higher paying salary. btw I respect young people who have to work for what they own, so props. Good luck to you.

Here's a sticky thread in this forum where people are posting pics of their rims and you'll find some 18's in there.
http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=44125.0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts