FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought another 2011 Sport making this my second 2011 Sport. I remember from my first car that the stock Goodyears did not last more than 25000 miles even with frequent rotation and easy driving. I wanted to try a higher load rated tire like a 95V but never got around to it before being seduced by a Pontiac G8 and selling the Sport to make way for the G8 in the garage. I see now that BFG has an Advantage TA with this rating in the stock size of 225/45x18 so does anyone have any experience changing load ratings of their tires like this? I've had good service from the BFG TA series of tires on other sporty Fords(Mustangs) in the past. Your experiences are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,720 Posts
I just recently bought another 2011 Sport making this my second 2011 Sport. I remember from my first car that the stock Goodyears did not last more than 25000 miles even with frequent rotation and easy driving. I wanted to try a higher load rated tire like a 95V but never got around to it before being seduced by a Pontiac G8 and selling the Sport to make way for the G8 in the garage. I see now that BFG has an Advantage TA with this rating in the stock size of 225/45x18 so does anyone have any experience changing load ratings of their tires like this? I've had good service from the BFG TA series of tires on other sporty Fords(Mustangs) in the past. Your experiences are appreciated.

Hi tg66577. If you are looking for longer tread life, you need to find a tire with a higher treadwear rating, not necessarily a higher load rating. The treadwear rating of the OEM Goodyears is only 260 (UTQG: 260 A A). The 225/45-18 BFG Advantage T/A's treadwear rating is 600 (UTQG: 600 A A). So generally speaking, it will give you longer tread life that your OEM Goodyears. Yes, you will likely see higher load ratings along with the higher tread wear rating. And yes, the BFG's load rating is higher at 95, but load rating is not the important number for you, if your deciding factor is tread life.. If tread life is your important factor, then it is the treadwear rating that you want to compare (260 versus 600).

Although I have not had any BFG's on my cars lately, I can tell you that I always have liked BF Goodrich tires. I had a long series of BFG tires, beginning in the early-80's with the old Comp T/A, then into the mid-00's with its replacement, the Traction T/A. Like you, with a series of 5 Mustang GT's and also my wife's 2001 Mercury Cougar. I always liked them.

Personally, and presently, I can recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (500 AA A). I had the Pilot Sport A/S 3 (the Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s predecessor) as the first replacement tires on my 2007 Lincoln MKZ. They lasted ~ 53,000 miles. I just replaced them with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+, about 5,000 miles ago, and I feel they are even better. Very good dry and wet weather handling. Good snow traction. And a smoother ride than the OEM Michelin Energy S8's. Plus a treadwear rating of 500.

Hope this information helps. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replacing stock 91V tires....

Thanks for the feedback bbmf2530. I wasn't sure if the treadwear rating would be better criteria than the weight rating so Thanks for pointing that out. When it comes time to buy tires, I'll check out the Michelins. Never owned a set of those before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts