FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The time has come to replace my stock tires for the 16" rims. I have been very pleased with the Conti's that came on the car and have gotten 32,000 miles out of them (might squeeze another 2 - 3 thousand out of of them). I was considering replacing them with the OEM Conti's from Tirerack.

What are you thoughts? For those that have replaced their tires what did you go with?

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=90001.msg1737426#msg1737426 date=1190730143]
Hello,

The time has come to replace my stock tires for the 16" rims. I have been very pleased with the Conti's that came on the car and have gotten 32,000 miles out of them (might squeeze another 2 - 3 thousand out of of them). I was considering replacing them with the OEM Conti's from Tirerack.

What are you thoughts? For those that have replaced their tires what did you go with?
[/quote]

Hi captainhook. :wavey: If you are happy with the Continental tires, my thoughts would be to stick with them.

I am partial to BF Goodrich and Goodyear. When I have replaced tires in the past (when replacing 4 at a time), I have tended to gravitate towards those brands. However, when I come due for new tires on my MKZ, I think I may stick with the OEM Michelin model. Not 100% sure though, as I am a long way from even needing to think about that.

However, what I always recommend people do is visit www.tirerack.com and plug in your vehicle information, answer the questions concerning what tire characteristics are important to you (i.e handling, ride comfort, wear, price, etc, etc), and see what tires are recommended for your particular situation. It's their specialty, and it's free.

Or you can take free advice from non-professional bozo's :lmao: like us! :hide:

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
If you choose the Michelins I have a set (4) of OEM 17" x 7" machined aluminum wheels and tires with 1,500 miles on them that would cost less than just 4 new replacement tires. I see you are in PA and I'm about 3 hours away.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=90001.msg1738183#msg1738183 date=1190750502]
If you choose the Michelins I have a set (4) of OEM 17" x 7" machined aluminum wheels and tires with 1,500 miles on them that would cost less than just 4 new replacement tires. I see you are in PA and I'm about 3 hours away.
[/quote]

Hi Double Vision. :wavey: I'm not sure if you were addressing me or captainhook. If captainhook, I believe he stated he has the 16 inch wheels. Might be a nice upgrade for him though!

If me, I thank you for the offer, but the Fusion and MKZ use a different model of Michelin tire.

However, I do know several people whom I have helped purchase Fusion's and Milan's. How much are you asking, in case any of them would be interested?

Thanks again for the generous offer, and good luck! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=90001.msg1738322#msg1738322 date=1190753511]
Hi Double Vision. :wavey: I'm not sure if you were addressing me or captainhook. If captainhook, I believe he stated he has the 16 inch wheels. Might be a nice upgrade for him though!

If me, I thank you for the offer, but the Fusion and MKZ use a different model of Michelin tire.

However, I do know several people whom I have helped purchase Fusion's and Milan's. How much are you asking, in case any of them would be interested?

Thanks again for the generous offer, and good luck! :cheers:
[/quote]

I was thinking of an upgrade for CAPTAINHOOK as he shows he is in PA. All are welcome to choose from these...

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=90054.msg1738406#new

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=90064.msg1738733#msg1738733

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you are happy with the Contis, replace them with the same. If I keep my stock wheels, I will be changing sizes to 225/55/16. This is the same as stock height, but much wider. It will provide a wider stance, better look, and better handling.

In the stock size, there are many great alternatives: Potenza G009, BFG Traction TAs, Yoko AVID series -- all of which are cheaper, and better than the ContiProContacts.

Even after only 4000 miles, I'm not buying/feeling the "AA" traction rating of the OEM tires.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a set of the tractions T/A's and they were horrible. The Avid have always been my go to tire for all of my cars.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, when my tires wear out I will NOT be replacing them with the stock Michelins that came on my car - at 239 a piece, they can take that price and shove it.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=90001.msg1741890#msg1741890 date=1190864365]
Well, when my tires wear out I will NOT be replacing them with the stock Michelins that came on my car - at 239 a piece, they can take that price and shove it.
[/quote]

Hi thereisnospoon. :wavey: Of course, you are free to get any tire you would like, and I figure you would probably like to put a higher performing, less ride comfort oriented tire on your car than the Michelin OEM's.

However, where are you getting that $239 per tire price for the Pilot's? They are $153, regular price at The Tire Rack, and have even been on sale for some time for $148. Even with shipping, mounting, balance (and possibly even adding the Road Hazard Warranty), you should still be below $200 per tire.

EDIT - In fact, I just worked up the pricing for shipping to Fort Worth, and four Pilot's, with shipping and figuring about $20 each for mounting and balance (in reality, should come out to less) would come to about $712. Add the Road Hazard Warranty, for under $18 per tire, and you are still under $780 for all four tires.

:blah: I know this is more information than you asked for (hell, you didn't ask for any information :lmao:), but I wanted to point out the price disparity.

Not trying to talk you into the Michelin, just letting you know that it might be a good idea to look for another tire supplier if those are the kind of prices you are being quoted by your supplier. I would give that advice no matter what tire you are looking to purchase, as that price is ridiculously high.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
910 Posts
my family has always had michelins and I like them but I've always wanted to own and use pirelli's so when mine need replacing I'll be getting pirellis!

(but with 3400 miles on them its gonna be awhile! haha)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, that is the price from the dealership so I knew it was a LITTLE high - I didn't know it was THAT high!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=90001.msg1765656#msg1765656 date=1191830625]
my family has always had michelins and I like them but I've always wanted to own and use pirelli's so when mine need replacing I'll be getting pirellis!

[/quote]

Pirelli's are the opposite of Michelin, low quality and lots of vibrations. I've driven the PZero Nero M&S on the Fusion and they sucked big time, no where close to the steering or ride performance of the Michelins.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=90001.msg1771730#msg1771730 date=1192044974]
[quote author=otaku link=topic=90001.msg1765656#msg1765656 date=1191830625]

[/quote]

Pirelli's are the opposite of Michelin, low quality and lots of vibrations. I've driven the PZero Nero M&S on the Fusion and they sucked big time, no where close to the steering or ride performance of the Michelins.
[/quote]

Thats a negative. They are actually both in the same class of tire. Yes the nero zero's are the lower end of the Pirelli lineup, but can ride just as good if not better than a Michelin or even a Goodyear f1 supercar EMT for that matter. Alot of the quality of the ride is made in how it is mounted and balanced. I have seen several times where a blind test was done and people took Kumhos over other higher end tires just becuase people took the extra time to ridematch tires under 5lbs of road force, ect. ect. Yes, you get what you pay for in a tire. But Pirellis by no means are anything bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts