FordFusionClub.com banner

Removing Badges, Lettering, etc

6K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  sebaz 
#1 ·
The first thing I do when I buy a new car is remove the "dealer sticker" from the rear. It amazes me how many of these are crooked. You'd at least think they would put them on straight. I'm thinking about removing all the lettering on the trunk (Fusion SEL V6). I like the clean look of no external letters. Has anyone removed these and if so, is it difficult. Is it just 3m tape or something else. Also, I want to be able to put them back on in the future, so I don't want to break them while trying to remove. Any suggestions.

#2 ·
Our Ford dealer doesn't put stickers on the cars he sells, but my wife requires the sales contract to say "No stickers". She is so adamant about that, she would walk away from a new car if it had a dealer sticker on it. They look like crap and fade, and as you mentioned, they are usually crooked - look like they were put on by a high school kid on drugs!

I never could understand why people buy $20,000 cars (or even more - look at some BMW and Mercedes) and let the dealer put such cheap crap on them. Well, to each his own!

#3 ·
Just took my dealer sticker off over the weekend. Had to use alot of goo gone though. It just wouldn't come off.

I'd like to be able to find the "l" off of the sel fusions so I can stick it on mine. I've already ordered the chrome fog light inserts. People wouldn't even know that its an se when they see it. What do you guys think?

#5 ·
[quote author=BlackI4se link=topic=50661.msg802995#msg802995 date=1152117993]
Just took my dealer sticker off over the weekend. Had to use alot of goo gone though. It just wouldn't come off.

I'd like to be able to find the "l" off of the sel fusions so I can stick it on mine. I've already ordered the chrome fog light inserts. People wouldn't even know that its an se when they see it. What do you guys think?
[/quote]

why lie? be proud of what you bought.  if anyone who knows the car looks no leather interior would give you away unless you have it as an option.

#6 ·
I've removed mine with out a problem. I just pulled them off with my fingers.

#8 ·
"SEL FUSION AREN'T STANDARD W/ LEATHER" I've seen plenty of them with out it.
Its just the same concept of somebody having a gt mustang and trying to make it look like a cobra.
Or like the old cars people have a mustang shelby but its just a replica and not the real thing. Whats wrong with that?

[quote author=Donald T link=topic=50661.msg803301#msg803301 date=1152126149]

[/quote]

why lie? be proud of what you bought.  if anyone who knows the car looks no leather interior would give you away unless you have it as an option.
[/quote]

#9 ·
[quote author=ming321 link=topic=50661.msg803564#msg803564 date=1152129700]
Are they in good enough shape to re-use, if you wanted to reapply when you sold the car.  I like the clean look without all the lettering.  Good job on yours
[/quote]

I threw mine out, but they were in perfect condition when I did. All you need to do is take a hairdryer and heat the letters up a little bit, then twist them left to right until they are loose. They should come off with no problem. After, I just had to clean off the left over sticky residue. I think it took me a whole 10 minutes.

If...a big "IF" I ever sell the car, I'm not worried about losing any value from the lack of lettering.

#10 ·
I think, instead of an "L", you should consider putting an "X" at the end of your SE badge!

[/quote]

#11 ·
I used a piece of dental floss and slid it behind the letters. It cut them off nicely without bending or breaking. I left the FUSION lettering- still trying to decide if I like it or not. The sticky was a pain to get off, but I think Meguiars paint cleaner worked the best (I also tried window cleaner, bug/tar remover, hot water). Thanks for the info- now if I could just get rid of 2 big blue ovals...

#14 ·
The best thing to do is use some dental floss and work the floss back and forth behind the letters. They come off really easy, and then use some diluted goof off or something of the like to get the gummy sticky crap off.

That's what I did when I did my CD338 badging.

#15 ·
[quote author=swoop1156 link=topic=50661.msg805909#msg805909 date=1152212967]
The best thing to do is use some dental floss and work the floss back and forth behind the letters.  They come off really easy, and then use some diluted goof off or something of the like to get the gummy sticky crap off.

That's what I did when I did my CD338 badging.

[/quote][quote author=ming321 link=topic=50661.msg804401#msg804401 date=1152150118]
I used a piece of dental floss and slid it behind the letters. It cut them off nicely without bending or breaking. I left the FUSION lettering- still trying to decide if I like it or not. The sticky was a pain to get off, but I think Meguiars paint cleaner worked the best (I also tried window cleaner, bug/tar remover, hot water). Thanks for the info- now if I could just get rid of 2 big blue ovals...
[/quote]

Thanks for the response swoop. I knew I had seen yours without the standard lettering.

#16 ·
Yo, no problem. That's why were all here :)

#19 ·
imo, removal of the badging/lettering makes the car look kia'ish or daihatsu'ish. I find it degrades the car and makes it look real ordinary and cheap. The Fusion is a classy car. You paid for those badges/letters you might as well keep them. I sure wouldn't buy a used car with no identification on it. That's one of the first things people look for. Otherwise they don't even know what kind of car they're buying. These are just my opinions. I just think removing that stuff makes it look more like a mid 90's Mitsubishi or something. I removed the dealer sticker, but am darn proud of my "SE V6" and "FUSION" on the trunk.

#20 ·
My car is obviously an SEL V6, so there is no need for the lettering to identify it. You can't get this equipment on anything less than an SEL V6.

In my opinion, it's little mods like this that set one car apart from the others, and really make the car mine.

#21 ·
I agree, remove them! I also installed the factory splash gaurds and painted the lettering silver on the rears. Looks great and people behind me can clearly see what the car is.

#23 ·
[quote author=ROBERTB link=topic=50661.msg929073#msg929073 date=1157247266]
I remove as much badging as possible.  For $24,000 I don't want to be a billboard for Ford.
[/quote]

Or any dealer for that matter. I REFUSE to purchase anything with dealer badging on it, as a matter of fact I asked my salesperson to remove the Maroone Ford plate bracked from my car and place my PSU Alumni one there instead.

Debadging does clean up the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.