FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about any of you other 2007-2009 Milan owners, but IMO, I absolutely hated the "MILAN" letters stuck to the front driver and passenger doors. It was a PIA to wash around them (especially with one of those cotton "string" sponges) and it was a PIA to wax around them as well (especially when using a Porter Cable unit - tore up my damn heads).

So, I decided to finally remove them from the doors... and I'll tell you this, it makes the car look 100% different with "cleaner" looking body lines on both sides. I don't have any pics - so just imagine Fusion doors that have no lettering on them... LOL.

Here's how to remove them:

1) use a plastic interior trim panel tool like these: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tools/specialty+tools/eight+piece+trim+panel+removal+tools+with+hammer.door

2) using the tool, get under each letter and carefully pry upwards or away from the door

3) the letter separates from the sheetmetal, finally pull it off once it's very loose

4) now after each letter is removed, there will be black foam/glue residue still adhered to the door

5) squirt over all of the glue/foam "GOOF OFF" (can be found in any automotive parts store or Dept. store), let soak for approx. 15 mins. (NOTE: if you cannot get or find GOOF OFF, WD40 will also work in the same manner and WILL NOT harm the clearcoat or paint. Both GOOF OFF and WD40 will remove any type of glue/gum/adhesion residue safely on sheet metal).

6) after the foam/glue has soaked, again use one of the interior trim tools and carefully scrape the old glue/foam from the door panel, while also wiping off the residue with a 100% cotton cloth. Scrape upwards in one direction, the old foam/glue will easily come off with just very little persuasion. You will have to repeat this step in order to get all of the residue off the door panel.

7) after all letters are removed, wipe down door, wash, then wax - DONE! After washing & waxing, you won't be able to tell those letters were ever attached to the car!

Trust me, using the plastic tool will not harm the door sheetmetal, nor will it scratch the clearcoat or paint. You're only applying slight pressure to removing the old glue/foam. I had already tried a heat gun and just using lots of "GOOF OFF" and it was taking forever just to remove the adhered gunk from ONE letter... So, after peeling off the letters, I soaked, used the tool and it worked excellent, removing the gunk within 5 minutes from where all (5) letters used to be on the door.

I would NOT use any flat head screw driver, scraper, or other metal object for removing those letters - you will surely mess up the sheetmetal and/or clearcoat/paint.

~~~

Now if only I could remove the ugly door rub/bump strips w/o having to do body work, trust me, those would be gone as well... LOL

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The heat gun is your friend.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=179625.msg3799348#msg3799348 date=1284672014]
Now it looks like an 06. :) 07-09 had it. Not 06.
[/quote]

LOL, I'm so glad mine didn't have the side badge. Very ugly, never understood it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=179625.msg3799330#msg3799330 date=1284670799]
The heat gun is your friend.
[/quote]

Nope. Tried that method first. The heat gun will loosen the letters, however, it still will not allow you to completely peel them "clean" from the doors at all. The letters have about a 1/8" foam backing on them. When you go to lift the letters, even after being heated w/ a heat gun, the foam backing still tears and remnants are left on the doors.

It's so much faster just pulling the letters w/o heat, then removing the remnants w/ the method I posted above - trust me.

I don't know what to do w/ those extra letters now... Having (2) sets of "MILAN" lettering, I did spell out "Milanimal" LMAO....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=179625.msg3799348#msg3799348 date=1284672014]
Now it looks like an 06. :) 07-09 had it. Not 06.
[/quote]

:eek: correction made.... lol :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've watched body shop pros use a 'hair dryer & fishing line' method very quickly and successfully...no mess, no fuss. But, you seem to have found an equally capable method...if you can tolerate the odor of GOOF OFF. Man, the smell of that stuff would penetrate a diving compression chamber!

·
Registered
36 Posts
[quote author=Curmudgeon link=topic=179625.msg3800252#msg3800252 date=1284747016]
I've watched body shop pros use a 'hair dryer & fishing line' method very quickly and successfully...no mess, no fuss. But, you seem to have found an equally capable method...if you can tolerate the odor of GOOF OFF. Man, the smell of that stuff would penetrate a diving compression chamber!
[/quote]

That would have been my suggestion, a little heat and some 10lb test

1 - 8 of 8 Posts