FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fleet of 2010 to 2012 fusion hybrids and I love these cars but getting even tire wear out of them is challenging.

I have two cars that chew up the inside edge of the rear tires prematurely. Should i adjust the rear camber or should I replace the rear shocks?

My alignment shop generically says "shocks and struts Are supposed to be replaced every 50k miles to need to replace them"

But do rear struts even affect alignment? Doesn't alignment strictly depend on the spring ?

I don't care about performance or handling I just want all my tires to wear out nice and even.

I have put adjustable ball joints on the front of this car and it increased camber and allowed me to wear out my last tires perfectly evenly.

I want to dial in the rear of these cars so that I'm not wearing out rear tires on the inside edge

·
Registered
57 Posts

My alignment shop generically says "shocks and struts Are supposed to be replaced every 50k miles to need to replace them"

Shocks are not SUPPOSED to be replaced after 50K miles. They are not an on/off switch that triggers at 50k miles.
The alignment shop wants to abuse their customers.

Replace shocks when you feel the car bounces too much, at your discretion. This may happen as soon as 20k miles, if the parts are bad quality, or bad manufacturing, or local climate ( winters, salty roads, humidity, etc) , or driving habits, or maybe never on the life of the car. I drove cars over 150k miles without never having to replace shocks.

To my knowledge in front wheel drive cars, yes the rear wheels need to be aligned, camber and toe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I seem to suffer from the same thing on my 2012 Fusion Sport AWD. I don't think the previous owner rotated the tires, and I didn't check that inner 1 inch of tread which I later found was down past the cords. I knew they tires were old and chunking pieces off, but I was going to snow country and the replacement tires were UHP Summer only, so I tried to get one last trip on them:

I don't put enough miles on my car to know how things are going with the new tires. I rotate them every 2000 miles so I likely won't run into this again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So tire wear can be attributed to worn out shocks, but it is usually a repeating pattern of across or diagonal excessive wear, and you can see those tires jouncing up and down as you drive.

There is an eccentric bolt on the lower control arm that probably means there is camber adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that's what my tread looks like if i don't rotate my tires, just like bangsters. (Thanks for the perfect picture)

So yes bangster and i could rotate our tires every 2000 miles.... But that's not solving the issue. These cars LOVE to ride on the inside edge and smoke the tires down ruining a beautiful tire.

I agree that obviously the alignment shop is just trying to sell me on new struts and shocks. If my shocks were trashed i would more expect cupped uneven tire wear not even inner tread wear as depicted here.

(The ride is good, not bouncing around)

My alignment shop says my car is in alignment.... But I think i need to add more camber to stop this excessive inner rear tread wear.

Has anyone added rear camber to try to stop the inner rear tread wearing out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts