FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I just recently bought a 2013 Fusion Titanium Energi. I folded the rear seat down and it got stuck due to the middle seatbelt locking. I had to take out the bottom seat and unbolt the seatbelt to get it up. Now I'm afraid to fold it down, or even allow someone to use that seatbelt, since it may lock them in as I've heard others have had the issue. I called my local Ford dealer and they hadn't heard of the issue and, for some reason, couldn't pull my VIN up on their system.

Has anyone else had this issue, and did Ford fix it for you? Did they do it for free as a safety issue? My dealer didn't seem too concerned.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
Hi Everyone. I just recently bought a 2013 Fusion Titanium Energi. I folded the rear seat down and it got stuck due to the middle seatbelt locking. I had to take out the bottom seat and unbolt the seatbelt to get it up. Now I'm afraid to fold it down, or even allow someone to use that seatbelt, since it may lock them in as I've heard others have had the issue. I called my local Ford dealer and they hadn't heard of the issue and, for some reason, couldn't pull my VIN up on their system.

Has anyone else had this issue, and did Ford fix it for you? Did they do it for free as a safety issue? My dealer didn't seem too concerned.

Thanks!
Hi amad. Difficult to blind Internet diagnose why it happened or what the cause was.

Just for clarification purposes: Was the buckle stuck in the latch, or was the belt itself jammed in the retraction mechanism? If the buckle was stuck in the latch and you can get it out, try spraying a dry spray lubricant into the latch mechanism and working the buckle in and out of the latch, releasing it multiple times to work the lubricant in. If it seems to loosen up and keep releasing without jamming, you should be safe.

You can find fry Teflon spray at your local Lowe's and Home Depot.

As to warranty coverage: The Ford Safety Restraint Warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. So unless you can convince your Dealership or Ford to cover this as a customer satisfaction program, it is doubtful it will be covered. It is always worth try though, so ask.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi amad. Difficult to blind Internet diagnose why it happened or what the cause was.

Just for clarification purposes: Was the buckle stuck in the latch, or was the belt itself jammed in the retraction mechanism? If the buckle was stuck in the latch and you can get it out, try spraying a dry spray lubricant into the latch mechanism and working the buckle in and out of the latch, releasing it multiple times to work the lubricant in. If it seems to loosen up and keep releasing without jamming, you should be safe.

You can find fry Teflon spray at your local Lowe's and Home Depot.

As to warranty coverage: The Ford Safety Restraint Warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. So unless you can convince your Dealership or Ford to cover this as a customer satisfaction program, it is doubtful it will be covered. It is always worth try though, so ask.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks for the reply. The middle seatbelt was not latched/buckled. It was retracted as it would normally be, but when the seat was folded down, it locked like it would if you were in an accident. Then there was nothing I could do to get it unlocked. After removing the seat and seatbelt bold (not easy), I could fold the seat back up. I then rebolted the seatbelt and it seems to pull out and retract okay, but I don't want to fold the seat down again and risk it happening again.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
Is it designed to latch if you pull it all the way out? My mother in law pulls the rear seat belts all the way out to put them on, and they ratchet, which is designed that way for baby/toddler seats. Once you feed them all the way back in, they are then not ratcheting, but will go in and out unless you pull really quick on it or all the way out again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it designed to latch if you pull it all the way out? My mother in law pulls the rear seat belts all the way out to put them on, and they ratchet, which is designed that way for baby/toddler seats. Once you feed them all the way back in, they are then not ratcheting, but will go in and out unless you pull really quick on it or all the way out again.
That's what I think, too, but it wasn't pulled out at all and the seat was just lowered slowly. Then locked...nothing I did would unlock it, other than unbolting it from the frame which was a pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts