FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what really does everyone get, I want to know because I am thinking of
getting one in the next Fusion I get.

power wise I can see, but what about MPG, that's what I care about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My normal week is trip back and forth to the beach - 200 mi Hghy 70% stop and go 30% + another 125 stop and go miles going to work and Home Depot during the week . I get 22 mpg under these circumstances. Car has 22000mi.

I took a straight Hgway trip and got 26 (75mph)

I've reset the readout once to check just stop and go and I got about 16mpg for @ 50 miles of driving. I'm happy .It's as good or better than my 98 Mystique V6 with a lot more power. The 6 speed Auto on my Milan is unreal. Cruising at 70 you are turning just a little over 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi SF'76,

My daily drive is 40 minutes to work in the city approx. 20 miles and I get 21MPG. My mileage on the car is only 4600miles and I don't go over 50MPH because I catch up to traffic. I make a conscious effort to be light on the pedal too which helps with the mileage. On the highway the car easily gets over 30mph driving steady at 75mph. I haven't driven for anything over 1 hour on the highway, but I'm sure it gets better. If you do a lot of short trips in your daily commute the car isn't good on mileage at all and usually gets between 14-17mpg. I live in the suburbs so this wasn't a factor for me when making the choice.
Overall I'm very happy with the V6 even tough I miss driving a manual. Ford doesn't offer a manual shift on the automatic like the Mazda 6. The power of the V6 is effortless, quite, smooth and the car pulls stongly and quitely regardless if the A/C is on or off and doesn't matter if the driver is the only person in the car, or the car is fully loaded. My last 4 cylinder I couldn't say the same thing.
If gas mileage is a top 3 concern for you, I would suggest the 4 with the manual and definitely stay away from the AWD if you are worried about saving gas.

Drive both back to back and see which you prefer which is the best deciding factor! Remember to crank the A/C and try to load the car up to the max amount of people.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If mileage is important to you, stay away from the V6, especially AWD. Our 2007 SEL AWD V6 only yields a constant 14.8 mpg for in-city driving with 3,700 miles and seven months on the car. The revised EPA estimate (which is optimistic) for this power train is 17 mpg city; 24 mpg highway.

Our terrain is flat; the climate is mild; my wife and I are conservative, gentle drivers, the tires are slightly over inflated at 35 psi. We love almost everything about our Fusion EXCEPT for the abysmal gas mileage.

·
Registered
910 Posts
if your concerned about mpg and don'[t need awd then yes stay away. But I highly recommend the V6 the i4 is gutless especially the auto

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 4 and I like it, I mean I want more power yeah,
but I don't have any issues with its performance. it's faster
now than it was new. slower take off of course but it's no
slug. I still have plenty of power on the freeways, hammering it
going 80, it still gives me more, I wouldn't call it gutless, maybe
undergutted but not gutless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings:
I currently have 9300 miles on the 2006 sel v6. with TCS. I did the upgrade on the pcm and have a k&N filter. I avg. a combined city and hwy. of 24mpg. right now. I know if i use exxon/mobil reg.the gas mpg. is a little better than other brands such as Gulf&Sunnoco. I keep the tire psi. at 38.
On the hwy--at 60-65mph i get 32-36mpg. The funny thing, if the weather gets hotter the better the mpg. in my car. I am easy with the pedal and do alot of coasting when needed. This is my 1st automatic. I have been driving stick for over 20years.
Personally i am happy with mpg., but i would want more. If their was a hybird with all-wheel drive i would have jumped on it because of winter sports.

Max.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a 2006 SEL V6 and I do about 50/50 stop and go/highway driving. When I'm on the highway I go at least 75, usually above 80 and I average 23.5 overall.

If I take it easy and stay between 70-75 on wide-open, flat highway, I have been able to maintain over 33mpg for over 100 miles.

I'm very happy with my mileage!

NOTE: These measurements are taken the old fashioned way, not via the computer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I get about 28-29 on the Hwy and around 23-24 city with the V6
The best is when the temp is between 70-75 F.
Best I have ever gotten was 32 on the Hwy with outside temp of 72 F.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah well the 4 does this too, I don't know if it's because the heater is tied to the AC compressor,
and it runs when you have the heat on, or if it's just the cold, but I get low MPG in winter too.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My I4 has never seen 33mpg on the hwy at speeds over 70mph even with no AC and ideal outside air temps. At 75mph I can maybe see 31mpg. I think the lower gearing of the V6 has the I4 beat on the hwy at moderate speeds. Although around 80 I can still average 28 or so. Those V6's sure are nice and efficient in cruise mode.

[quote author=fusionowner link=topic=82472.msg1544484#msg1544484 date=1184004541]
I have a 2006 SEL V6 and I do about 50/50 stop and go/highway driving. When I'm on the highway I go at least 75, usually above 80 and I average 23.5 overall.

If I take it easy and stay between 70-75 on wide-open, flat highway, I have been able to maintain over 33mpg for over 100 miles.

I'm very happy with my mileage!

NOTE: These measurements are taken the old fashioned way, not via the computer.
[/quote]

·
Registered
463 Posts
The AC compressor is still used when you turn on the heat to defrost the windows because it dehumidifies the air. Therefore, yes, you will still get the "lower mileage effect" in the winter. Cold outside air hurts MPG too.

Optimum driving would be about 70 degrees with no fan at all.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ohh and forgot to say I run the A/C all the time. I see no diff. in gas usage with it on or off.
MythBusters did a test to see if having the windows down uses more gas then haveing the A/C on, and found out the windows down is way worse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my car is a SEL AWD, it only has 400 miles on it now and i have been getting around 22mpg with a mix of city/suburban and some highway mixed in. I know some people have not done well but i am 22 and drive fairly aggressive, with my car still in break in i hope for the mileage to improve as the engine ages.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=82472.msg1547576#msg1547576 date=1184100830]
Ohh and forgot to say I run the A/C all the time. I see no diff. in gas usage with it on or off.
MythBusters did a test to see if having the windows down uses more gas then haveing the A/C on, and found out the windows down is way worse.
[/quote]

If you're travelling below 40-45MPH, windows down is better. Anything faster, you should use your A/C.

I just drove to Vegas and cruised on flat highway at about 70MPH. Computer said 35.1MPG and the A/C was on. No drafting partners either. :( But I do have my tires inflated to about 48PSI all around.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I get 17mpg if I'm DAMN LUCKY. Most of the time it's 16. Considering Jusnes and full out CAI with magnaflows to see if this will do anything whatsoever.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I get 18-23 in the city, and usually average 28-30 on the highway (straight, flat driving), going 75, with the AC on. I have logged a 31.5 mpg average on 100+ mile trips before. I just have the FWD, not the AWD.

My car just crossed 20,000 miles today, and 97% of those miles have been on the highway. I use mobil 1 oil and use 91 octane about 50% of the time.

I've driven my mother's '06 and it averages 23-25 on the highway. :?

·
Registered
108 Posts
SEL V6 FWD drive 40 mins to work each day 40 mins home mostly hwy going thru few little towns and I see around 25.8 mpg avg. One thing to look at is the FWD v/s AWD. AWD gets worse mpg no ? about it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts