FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yeah, i found a junkyard site and picked up a Driver Side Headlight Assembly from a wrecked fusion..

I also won a bid on TWO TSX Projectors on ebay.

needless to say, im gonna start doing my retrofit on the headlamps.

i spent about 300 bucks all together for the headlamps and projectors, and im gonna be spending a little time from now till at least December working on my retrofit. Basically, im gonna paint the whole headlamp interior black, and just keep the high beam the way it is. Then, im gonna block off the existing part of the headlamp and meld it in with the rest of the interior, cut a whole, mount a projector and use an aluminum can that is going to be cut, and painted as a shroud... haha, i've been having some crazy ideas about this, and im actually gonna follow through.

when i start the project, ill be posting it here and updating it regularly with my progress. if all goes well, and i can do it on the second headlight the same way i did the first, ill put up a tutorial, or see if i can start a service ;D.

wish me luck.

my goal is to get my headlights to look similar to the Caddy CTS headlamps... like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I sure do look forward to seeing what you can come with. Good for you and taking on this project. Unfortunately as soon as you’re done, projector headlight housing will be available for the Fusion. That’s just the way things tend to work out. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i doubt, the fusion isnt getting enough attention. It took almost 6 years for focus hids to come out. And all those companies that did anything for the fusion, stopped 2 years ago after sema was done.

so, if hids to come out, itll be amazing and ill be extremely pleased. but for right now, im hoping me doing it my self will prove to be faster, and hopefully entertaining ;D

·
Registered
982 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=90522.msg1752147#msg1752147 date=1191284457]
i doubt, the fusion isnt getting enough attention. It took almost 6 years for focus hids to come out. And all those companies that did anything for the fusion, stopped 2 years ago after sema was done.

so, if hids to come out, itll be amazing and ill be extremely pleased. but for right now, im hoping me doing it my self will prove to be faster, and hopefully entertaining ;D
[/quote]

I disagree...

It didn't take 6 years. Hella made the projector upgrade, and you could always get the HID version... as long as you wanted to hand over a paycheck. SVT and Ford Racing dropped their kit on the market, and they were even optional equipment for a while.

The biggest difference is the focus had popularity, here and overseas, but it was an entry level car in the US. The Fusion is still building a following, and the aftermarket companies are noticing. I would still bet that Ford will be the first to put out HID's. Hell, the MUSTANG got them for '08! The problem I see is the change will probably come along with a body change/refresh... which means they probably won't work for us.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great news Benit! Looking forward to the updates as you come closer to the closest thing to OEM HID's for the Fusion anyone can get.

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=swooshUSN link=topic=90522.msg1752650#msg1752650 date=1191295044]
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=90522.msg1752147#msg1752147 date=1191284457]

[/quote]

I disagree...

It didn't take 6 years. Hella made the projector upgrade, and you could always get the HID version... as long as you wanted to hand over a paycheck. SVT and Ford Racing dropped their kit on the market, and they were even optional equipment for a while.

The biggest difference is the focus had popularity, here and overseas, but it was an entry level car in the US. The Fusion is still building a following, and the aftermarket companies are noticing. I would still bet that Ford will be the first to put out HID's. Hell, the MUSTANG got them for '08! The problem I see is the change will probably come along with a body change/refresh... which means they probably won't work for us.
[/quote]

with that said, i'd much rather have high quality TSX projectors w/ phillips ballasts w/ 5k bulbs. The TSX Projectors give off a REALLY nice cutoff which you can expand by changing the spacing in the lens. you get this amazing blue cutoff that you see on BMW's and Acuras. soo good.

but yeah, you;d be able to change those out.

either way, i still think im gonna be spending the same amount of money. regardless of if i wait, or do it my self.

either way, ill get what i want hahaha.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think your way is better because you get the joy of knowing you did it yourself.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got the projectors. time for the headlights to get here.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Benito,

Thanks for the pics and the update, both are greatly appreciated. I had no idea the support housing behind the actual projects was so bulky. Hope your headlights arrive soon.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks Like Im Gonna Join In Too.i GOt Some BIG Projectors from a 07 Sabb 93 Aero.I'm Gonna Start This Project also.i got some headlights for 50 bucks(PAIR) at a junkyard and the projectors for FREE.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good luck with the project Serg, please post some pics if you can.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you cant bake the headlight and take it apart. its sonic welded together. i had to cut mine with a dremel. ill take some pictures in like... 15 min and post them.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, sorry! i totally forgot about posting them. im actually changing it up a bit. by monday ill have new pictures posted of my actual progress.

basically, im cutting into the high beam reflector and mounting the projector RIGHT in the reflector housing. i'll then paint the WHOLE reflector housing black, as well as the chrome bezel that you see around the headlight.

it'll give it that nice CTS look. im leaving the high beam untouched.

in this picture you'll see i have the projector in the black housing, thats just for fitting display.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
wow, this looks complicated, but I like your idea alot! Definately going to be something to be proud of when you pull it off, please keep those pics coming!
A few Q's, How are you going to mount that projector? And how are you going to reseal the headlight, you said you needed a rotary tool to take it apart, right?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Benito,

Thanks for the latest update on the project and the pics. It looks like you are off to a great start. This is definitely the type of project that requires patience and careful pre planning, you are doing terrific on both counts.

Looking forward to the next update.

Have a great week-end!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
since this one was just a "test." i really dont plan on actually using it. i more so took it apart hastily to understand it better.

it was 25 bucks for the headlight, so i'm not worried to much about using it.

anyways, im going to actually cut the backing out of the low beam projector (doing that tonight) and then im going to make some L brackets that are going to mount to the top and bottom of the low beam housing. then, im going to use an outside lawn lampshade that will be painted silver with high heat engine paint and clear coat and use that as a shroud to cover up the bolts.

pretty much, once i feel comfortable on how im going to setup the projector, ill buy another used headlight and work on opening it clean enough to epoxy/weld it back together.

I'm HOPING that MRT (since they're down the street... literally 1 block) can get another set of non-welded headlights from ford like they did for their mrt fusion. if i can do that, then it'll be easy from there on. if not, ill have to try using a "hot knife" or just try baking them several times and pull it apart little by little.

its a very hard project, but its been keeping me busy. HIDs are the one things i've wanted most on my car, and im GOING TO DO IT.

so yeah, ill post some pictures after i cut the piece out from the low beam and figure out how im gonna mount the projector :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heres Mine So Far!! lol..sorry .i guess i want to wait and see how you do it so i can kinda get an idea..but i need to get my hands on a pair of headlights also...till then that's all i have...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are those fx projectors?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update

heres the picture with it mostly completed. i ruined the headlight when i first got it by trying to open it. this is a "prototype" its not going to be used, just for show. check it out.

(note, the actual lens is not in the projector housing, i didn't want to scratch it so i left it out, also, theirs no bezel or shroud so you can see the unit... when I'm finished, you will not be able to see that.)

Not done, but im thinking about sticking with the black bezel instead of the chrome. i think it looks amazing.

i just gotta finish painting it, and then setup my bezel/shroud.

after that, its time to start working on the real one.

enjoy!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts