FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article is very good and it makes you wonder what your dealer or local jiffy lube is putting inside your engine for motor oil. When I bought my Fusion I also received lifetime oil changes every 5K miles for as long as I owned the car. They also said they would put in the synthetic blend that comes stock in the Fusion. I seriously have my doubts as to if this would really happen as that oil is a lot more expensive, especially since my changes are "free". Nonetheless, this article taught me a lot. Now I will look for the SM rating when I buy oil as that is now the top rating. I thought SL use to be tops. I wonder if motorcraft syn. blend has SM rating, anyone know?

http://www.lube4life.com/apisaoil.htm#How%20FREE%20gets%20to%20cost%20a%20$1.00

·
Registered
255 Posts
synthetic blends are BAD! when the non snythetic breaks down the synthetic is low causing bad stuff to happen. Thats the kinda stuff those places trick women with.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are wrong. some synthetic blends have api ratings of SM which is the highest. the motorcraft blend is among the best oil out there- syn. or not. I doubt Ford would chance the introduction of the Fusion by putting questionable syn. blend oil in the engine from the factory. The Fusion is Ford's CPR for the company, everything basically hinges on mid-size cars these days and to go up against camry/accord takes the best. Sorry, but the F150 can't save Ford right now, neither can the surprisingly aging "new" mustang- which is basically a Lincoln LS with different skin.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The major automotive builders do extensive research to ensure that the oil in the vehicle is of the best quality. They would not be extending powertrain warrantys if they were not sure of durability of the engine. Engine durability is directly linked to the oil used. While some "quick-lubes" may use cheap oil, dealers certainly do not when it comes to oil changes in vehicles they service. At any time someone can (and often does) get their oil changed and then promptly have the oil tested for content. These tests are performed by company insiders, watchdogs and state regulators, in a similar fashion to the way they test motor fuels. Be careful what you read and if you are not part of the testing process, do not assume that someone else that has access to a computer is an expert.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ditto, longer warranties mean quality products must be used by manufactuers. Billion dollar companies are not going to risk survivol on cheap oil, ie: replacing drivetrains constantly because of poor oil. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
799 Posts
iowaguy,

I highly doubt a reputable oil change place or dealership would put an SA rated oil in new car, let alone stock the stuff. All new name brand oils are SM. Some stores still have old stock that is SL and it's damn fine stuff too. As long as it's a name brand oil your good to go. Just for the record - Motorcraft semi-syn 5W20 is, without a doubt, an EXCELLENT motor oil and a good price too (about $9.99 for a 5 qt jug at Wal-Mart). What's in my Fusion's 2.3? Pennzoil 5W20 (3.5 qts dino, 1 qt syn) and a Wix oil filter.

If your interested in learning anything and everything about oil, lubes and greases then check out this forum: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, but I know all i need to know. and not all major name brands are SM rated, only a handful are even rated SL. The SM is relatively new, and I feel sorry for you putting pennzoil in your anything. that is among the worst oil ever produced- i thought everyone knew that? Also, WIX filters aren't that good either as I read a test where a guy opened up several oil filters to test them. Purolator was consistently the leader. Consequently, they make motorcraft filters. Also, you shouldn't mix your oil like that. That will void your warranty. Why not just run full syn. or full dino or syn. blend? I don't get your philosophy. If you say motorcraft is so good of an oil, why don't you use it? Your logic has me questioning your post.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Please, do yourself and this forum a favor, and check out the oil forum, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
230 Posts
[quote author=iowaguy link=topic=61893.msg1059612#msg1059612 date=1163093937]
This article is very good and it makes you wonder what your dealer or local jiffy lube is putting inside your engine for motor oil. When I bought my Fusion I also received lifetime oil changes every 5K miles for as long as I owned the car. They also said they would put in the synthetic blend that comes stock in the Fusion. I seriously have my doubts as to if this would really happen as that oil is a lot more expensive, especially since my changes are "free". Nonetheless, this article taught me a lot. Now I will look for the SM rating when I buy oil as that is now the top rating. I thought SL use to be tops. I wonder if motorcraft syn. blend has SM rating, anyone know?

http://www.lube4life.com/apisaoil.htm#How%20FREE%20gets%20to%20cost%20a%20$1.00
[/quote]
I would say that site is a little "biased" they're trying to sell their "no oil change for life" stuff, maybe to their advantage to "terrify" you of the problems with "other" oils??

·
Registered
799 Posts
That's for sure! Auto-Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, Wal-Mart etc. all have shelves full of the most modern SM rated oils (Mobil, Havoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, Valvoline, Castrol).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts