FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say that I'm still happy with the car, BUT the dang thing rattles like I bought it from Jud Clampet! At some speeds above 55 i get this weird metal on metal jingle from somewhere in the passanger sid door.. When I have my stereo at a normal volume, something in the cabin vibrates really bad (very annoying), so I either have to crank up my volume or turn it way down.. There's also a rattle somewhere in the back-driver's side door.. It's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Report it to them so they can jump on this ASAP! Sounds like the rattles jumped from Mazda and into the new platform of the Fusions. LOL Well more than likely its some loose bolts or screws that got in there while being assembled. See this happen all the time on the Trim lines at work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine is doing this too....... I was told they'd have to tear the dash apart. 500 miles...let the problems begin! :klavergreg: :klavergreg:

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Well I'm not surprised about this. Being the first year models. The same thing happen to Mazda. Rattles in the dash and suspension. Took them a little over a year to clear it all up. Hope it takes lest than that for this car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Guess, I am lucky. I am at 892 miles (Trip to Nevada got me the milage) and I haven't heard no noise or rattle. Lucky I guess, "knock" on wood though.

What I drive:
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
3.0 Liter V6

Bought:
November 20, 2005

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just passed 500 miles in my MIlan and it is still quiet as day one. Hopefully it stays this way, knocking on wood...

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote author=MParrott link=topic=33167.msg467907#msg467907 date=1131373972]
First of all let me say that I'm still happy with the car, BUT the dang thing rattles like I bought it from Jud Clampet! At some speeds above 55 i get this weird metal on metal jingle from somewhere in the passanger sid door.. When I have my stereo at a normal volume, something in the cabin vibrates really bad (very annoying), so I either have to crank up my volume or turn it way down.. There's also a rattle somewhere in the back-driver's side door.. It's driving me crazy!
[/quote]

I have 2500 on my Fusion now. I haven't heard any rattles or anything. The only thing that bugged me was the tire noise. It seems like it has almost gone away now that I have some miles on the 50 series tires.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Our Milan has just past 800 miles and it is very quiet and very tight. I have worked on and driven a lot of automobiles over the years and this one really impresses me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ya, 2400 miles rattle free, good thing cuz those suckers drive me crazy...
I'd be hounding the dealer...
By the way I always go to my salesman if a problem arises, he cares & will make sure I'm happy,
Service Managers don't give a crapppppp...(just a tip) 8)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I got the typical "we can't hear anything" today when I was back for the THIRD time. Rattles/Pops are so hard to fix I wonder if they say that on puropose. I'm going to my last resort and taking it to my friend who runs a stereo shop. I'm going to have him tear the dash apart and sound deaden it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My SEL has 1300miles on it and all is good no rattles or anything.

I work at a Ford Dealer fixing cars and I can tell you that rattles are the hardest to find...not impossible. Unfortunetly for all of us Ford doesn't pay us very well when it comes to rattle concerns...especially if we can't find anything wrong. Most dealers also pay on a Flat Rate scale...You get paid for what you do not hourly...you can be at work for 8 hours and get paid for 3 hours of work on a slow day. Most mechanics/technicians will drive it for like 5 minutes and if they don't hear anything then they NPF...no problem found. I don't I usually spend lots of time even though I might not get paid but I would hate to have to bring the car back if I was the customer. Dealers are different some really care and some don't. I would try a different dealer if that is possible. Going to the salesman is a good idea too. We haven't seen any Fusions in service yet.

Does it rattle all the time or only under certain conditions? I know some of our vehicles would have a pop/rattle from the dash area when warming up after sitting all night. Hope you can get some help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's exactly what it does. When the heat is on it will pop. Even driving down the road it will after the heat has been on. When I turn it down to half way, it cools down and doesn't do it. I've taken out the radio/dash "bin"/windshield defroster trim to eliminiate any sources of noise. From what I've narrowed it down to it's the heat duct expanding against the dash board. I just talked to my friend and we're going to stick some of that 3M window seal inbetween the dash and the vent to try to stop it.

I was real POed because the dealer had it while I waited for 2.5hrs before telling me they couldn't find anything. Like you said, I saw them drive it around for about 5 min. What were they doing the rest of the time? Who ever had it before there heard it so why they didn't give it back to him I have no idea. Ford won't let me take it to another dealer because they say it's a workmanship issue and the original dealer has to fix it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did you tell them how they can duplicate it or road test with them? I bet they'll listen better with you sitting next to them...lol I know I do. Maybe leaving it over night if possible so it cold soaks...I'm sorry you are stuck with them. Who knows what they were doing...I hope they were at least contacting the Ford Hotline that we have. They keep track of all known concerns especially on new models like yours. I will check all of our resources to see if maybe its a common concern. Wish I could help more. If you do find a fix please let me know so maybe if I get a customer with the same concern I can help them.. I will tell them to thank you. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
A bunch of years ago, I had an old 1980 Ford Granada with over 150000 miles on it. I took a trip from California to Utah and from the time I got on the freeway until I ended up in Utah, I had a bad rattle /squeak that sounded like it came from the passenger side dashboard. I knew that I couldn’t stand to listen to that on the way back, so I tore into the dash .I spent hours trying to duplicate the noise and towards the end of the day I started bouncing the right front of the car up & down. To shorten this story, the noise was coming from the hood hinge pivot pins. These pins were dry, rusty and very worn. I was able to alleviate the problem by jamming a couple pieces of rubber underneath the hinges, which unloaded the pivot pins. The only point I am trying to make is that I thought it was in the dash and it was actually under the hood.

Just Trying to Help!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well the owner offered to buy my car back and buy me anything I want. The problem is, I want a BMW. I can also get a BMW for a little over invoice because I have an account with a dealership. Getting one that would be 4 yrs. old and 50k mi is out of the question when a new one is only $6k more. I gave it one last ditch effort to keep the Fusion yesterday and today to fix it and think I got it done.

In the Rotunda "squeak and rattle kit" there is like a velvet tape. I took some of those and cut them into strips. I then took them and placed them around the defroster trim on the sides of the ovals. Then I pushed it back in place. One pop taken care of.

It was still making a popping noise and it was coming from the duct. I popped off the glove box and felt the duct, sure enough it moves and pops. I took some stiff foam and wedged a bunch up there inbetween the duct and the heater core. When the foam expands, it pushes on everything holding it in place. It HAS to be stiff foam or else it won't be able to push hard enough against the parts. I stuffed about 7 sq. feet into the dash in various places.

I still have several speaker/door rattles but those will be taken care of when I put my stereo in. I told myself I wouldn't put one in this car but since I'm taking everything apart and I have all the speakers/amps, I might as well do it. This might actually help it because the component speakers don't put out much bass, which is done by the sub. The stock speakers must do everything so they sound a little bassey.

As much as I don't want to buy another Ford, it's hard not to buy from a place that backs it up like that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Showtime thanks for the info I will remember that if I ever run into that problem. That is a very generous owner most aren't like that. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.