FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and I haven't been able to find anyone who already has the problem I am having with my 2013 ford fusion. I recently found my battery completely dead. I charged it up and an hour later it was dead. I had it tested and it had a dead cell. Long story short. I removed the battery and installed a new battery not an easy job until I went online and watched how it is achieved. Since the new battery has been installed the engine runs lights all work interior lights work etc. My problem is the radio and air conditioner and heater do not respond when activated. Is there a program I need to reprogram to get this problem solved? Would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

·
Administrator
6,077 Posts
I am new to the forum and I haven't been able to find anyone who already has the problem I am having with my 2013 ford fusion. I recently found my battery completely dead. I charged it up and an hour later it was dead. I had it tested and it had a dead cell. Long story short. I removed the battery and installed a new battery not an easy job until I went online and watched how it is achieved. Since the new battery has been installed the engine runs lights all work interior lights work etc. My problem is the radio and air conditioner and heater do not respond when activated. Is there a program I need to reprogram to get this problem solved? Would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Hi Rantangdon and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Yes, there is a battery reprogramming procedure that must be performed when the battery is replaced. If that procedure is not performed, certain vehicle functions will be disabled. So this could be your problem. However that specific procedure needs special hardware/software to perform. It can be performed by a Ford/Lincoln Dealership and probably many/most independent shops. Alternately, vehicle owners can use FORScan software and a laptop to perform this procedure.

However, while we can not perform that procedure without a Dealer, shop or special software, there is an option. Leaving the vehicle completely untouched for at least 8 hours will also allow the battery management system to reset itself. So leave it untouched overnight, locked, and do not enter the vehicle at all. And if you have the keyless entry system, d not even get close to the hairpiece with the fob, since doing so can "wake up" the car. Do this for a minimum of 8 hours. I would recommend even 10.

Hopefully this will return all your vehicle systems to being operational.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
149 Posts
The BMS can be reset without going to a dealer or without FORScan. Also the 8 hours untouched is probably not going to work. Mine sat for 4 days after the battery change and everything that the BMS disabled due to weak battery still didn't work.

I doubt that the BMS not reset would cause the issues you are having. Things like auto stop/start, radio and other accessories not remaining on in accessory mode or when off but a door isn't opened yet, etc.

There are a few possible ways to reset the BMS, I have never done it in a Fusion (I didn't need to in my 2015 Fusion, with the 2.5 and no auto start/stop I am not sure it has it, I don't remember it on the battery like it was on my 2017 Escape).

You have 10 seconds to do the following once you start:
  1. turn key (you do have a key, and not push button start, right?) to run position but don't start it
  2. do "flash to pass" 5 times (pull and release the turn signal stalk towards you 5 times)
  3. press brake pedal 3 times
  4. watch for the battery light to blink 3 times in the next 10-15 seconds
Some variations since it more of a world car than the Escape is using the hazard button instead of pressing brake, or instead of flash to pass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts