FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radio Data System (RDS) capability

Just received my SE, I upgraded the 1 x cd to the 6 x cd with 6 speakers, it is suppose to come with the Radio Data System (RDS) capability. I have read the manual but can't see to access that function to turn it on/off. It's suppose to be accessible by pressing the menu button but be dammed if it will come up. Has anyone with the same radio had this problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Radio Data System (RDS) capability

If you go to Ford of Canada's website and build a fusion se and select the upgraded radio (6 x cd) not the audiophile one. You can then read about it. This is what it says:

Feature: Radio data system
The audio system has Radio Data System (RDS) capability. It receives the sub-carrier channel broadcast by some radio stations containing identification and programming information.

Benefit
RDS permits programming the radio with special requests or searches for specific types of music or informational broadcasts and may display station identification.

Try this link, hope it works

http://www.ford.ca/main/default.asp?language=en&section=2&source=&sVehCategory=FordCars&model=Fusion

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I've called FOC on this and they are looking into it. They also gave me the number of the manufacturer of the radio, I called them and they told me that yes my radio should have this function and that you have to hold the menu button for 6 seconds (like it says that in the owners guide) I did try holding it down (but not sure if I went the 6 secs or not) have to wait till i get my car back now from the remote start installation to try.

Let me know how you make out as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,337 Posts

Well, I have a 6, not a Fusion. I know the 6's radio supposedly supports RDS as well, but it is not enabled. RDS is awesome - good luck getting it to work.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Indeed the owners manual talks about RDBS. I figured it was an audiophiile only item (and maybe it is, any audiophile owners wanna speakup?). The manual says its a premium option but that could be a missprint.

Tried the 6 seconds thing, but no dice. :(

I also doubt the 6 seconds thing cause well .. all the other menu options are accessed by just pressing menu over and over ..

If anyone figures it out .. please do tell I was kinda stoked when I saw it in the owners manual before, and dissapointed I couldn't get to it.

Worried ford might point to the, "We have the right to change specifications without notice" thing. Like that should be allowed!!! :mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This cannot be a misprint, when I built my fusion online I specifically selected the premium radio (not the audiophile) for the RDS capability. When I selected that radio it gave more information about the features I was going to get and RDS was one of them. I too tried the 6 sec thing again and got nothing. I'm going to call the radio manufacturer again tomorrow and get to the bottom of this. If it is misprinted in the manual and online I'm going to either get $495..00 cad back or a new radio.

Cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK update for those wondering. I contacted the radio manufacturer and told them that after holding down the menu button for 6 seconds I still had no RDS function offered up. He then asked me get the part # of the radio by doing this. hold the 3 and 6 buttons down together for 3 seconds then press the #6 button once and let go, then using the up/down arrow key scroll till a part number appears. In my case it was 6E5T.18C815.AL, this is the correct radio "premium CD/with 6 speaker. The tech then told me to have the dealer order a replacement radio. He says it sounds like they forgot to add the software for the RDS function to this radio.

I didn't realize it was a software thing? In any event my radio is ordered and may be here tomorrow so I will keep you posted. I wonder how many radios are effected and how many people paid for the premium upgrade and don't even realize they are missing a paid for option.

Also forgot add that the tech had radios plugged in with him to test and he did confirm that this radio did indeed have the RDS function and was present when simply using the menu button.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts

We got our Fusion SEL 4cyl a couple of weeks ago and it too has the Premium CD6 radio. I was sort of bummed not to find the RDS switching in the menu when we got it and did a look through ALL the other Ford car and truck owners manuals to see that they all say that the RDS function is only available with the Audiophile radio. I figured it was just a typo in the Fusions manual. It's the only option our car doesn't have for our model. Kinda wish I would have put the rest of the money down for the Audiophile setup. But if you get yours working with the new radio, let us know.

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts

I looked at that link and saw what you're talking about. Me being in the US, when I build it from the US site, it has no notes saying RDS is there either with the Premium or Audiophile radio. But I will be going to my dealer this weekend and telling them I want it to work and to order me a new radio. The P/N for our radio is the same as yours. I'm hoping they will go along with it.

Greg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Just to let you know that my new radio came in today and will be installed later today. The radio that they sent is the same part number except the last 2 letters. My old radio (without rds) showed AL as the last 2 letters, this new one shows AH. AH incidentally is the same part number that tech from the radio manufacturer used to test when I had him on the phone yesterday. He tested the AH one and said RDS was there.

I will know in a while what I've got and will let ya know. If this still does not have RDS someone is going to have to either supply me a radio that does or give me back $495.00 CAD. I upgraded mainly for RDS and it clearly states in my manual and online that its included.

Cheers for now

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Latest update, we have RDS! :klavergreg:,

Radio just swapped out and I now have what I paid for :lol:, so to those of you who ordered the premium 6xcd and don't have the RDS function you may want to look into it.

Cheers for now!

·
Registered
16 Posts

[quote author=zporty link=topic=41064.msg602354#msg602354 date=1141348287]
We got our Fusion SEL 4cyl a couple of weeks ago and it too has the Premium CD6 radio. I was sort of bummed not to find the RDS switching in the menu when we got it and did a look through ALL the other Ford car and truck owners manuals to see that they all say that the RDS function is only available with the Audiophile radio. I figured it was just a typo in the Fusions manual. It's the only option our car doesn't have for our model. Kinda wish I would have put the rest of the money down for the Audiophile setup. But if you get yours working with the new radio, let us know.

Greg
[/quote]

My Fusion SEL 4cyl w/Premium CD6 radio has RDS....Maybe my car was originally destined for Canada eh.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Maybe eh! :lol:

Not sure why some would think rds would only be offered in Canada though, hmm oh well anything is possible.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts

I didn't think it was Canada specific, was just stating that on the US site it didn't show RDS one way or the other. I've got an appointment to bring the car in tomorrow for them to, as the service advisor put it, either electronically reprogram the radio or pull it out to check the part number so he can order a new one. I told him about the button sequence to check it and he said I'll have to show him that. It would save them a lot of work when they need the numbers. He said he was on the phone with the Ford techs and they agreed it should be right on the screen with the rest of the menu options.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Good luck zporty! mine is working great after they replaced it and programed the module.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts