FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 Fusion SE with 3.0 V6, FWD, auto (not sure if 5 or 6 speed). Mileage is just shy of 208k.
No owners manual came with the vehicle, purchased used.

Been noticing a slight wet spot on the ground under front bumper, turns out it's coolant. Looking for the leak, it's visibly trickling down the whole end cap on driver side of radiator. Got a new radiator on order and will get it swapped out most likely next weekend.

Before taking out the old one, I will do a whole cooling system flush to clean out all the crap (can see some floating in the coolant reservoir tank). Then put in new radiator and fill the whole system with fresh new coolant.
Anyone know how much coolant for the capacity?

Also curious, since the trans cooler lines run to the radiator that would indicate the trans fluid cools through the radiator, not an independent trans cooler. Trans fluid on dip stick looks full, but dirty. Will I end up having transmission issues from doing this job and replenishing the trans fluid that is lost?

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
09 Fusion SE with 3.0 V6, FWD, auto (not sure if 5 or 6 speed). Mileage is just shy of 208k.
No owners manual came with the vehicle, purchased used.

Been noticing a slight wet spot on the ground under front bumper, turns out it's coolant. Looking for the leak, it's visibly trickling down the whole end cap on driver side of radiator. Got a new radiator on order and will get it swapped out most likely next weekend.

Before taking out the old one, I will do a whole cooling system flush to clean out all the crap (can see some floating in the coolant reservoir tank). Then put in new radiator and fill the whole system with fresh new coolant.
Anyone know how much coolant for the capacity?

Also curious, since the trans cooler lines run to the radiator that would indicate the trans fluid cools through the radiator, not an independent trans cooler. Trans fluid on dip stick looks full, but dirty. Will I end up having transmission issues from doing this job and replenishing the trans fluid that is lost?
Hi Justin. You can download the PDF version of your Owners Manual here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

The Maintenance and Specifications section will list the fluid specifications and capacities.

From your description of the transmission fluid, I would also recommend you have transmission fluid flushed and filled. If you are worried about having a transmission flush performed, then have it drained and filled.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you much, sir! I had a feeling there should be somewhere to get an online owners manual.

As for trans, I'm a little less experienced, but I know doing flushes can sometimes damage/destroy a trans. Seen it happen to a customer's truck a few weeks ago at work. He read the disclaimer and signed saying that he understood, we did a flush and then the next day he called and said it was slipping and hard shifting.

Guess I'll just go about it the ChrisFix way:

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the radiator replaced a couple days ago. It was a bear of a job trying to get at some of those damn plastic "christmas tree" clips. Quite tricky to wiggle the new one in and get it to fit just right and actually click into place.

Not seeing any coolant or trans fluid leaks, no drop in fluid levels and all is running very well.

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over the past week, I've actually seen my gas mileage improve. It was getting about 16.8MPG before replacing the radiator. Now it's getting about 17.5MPG!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts