FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions:

1. When I hit the unlock on my remote at night to unlock the doors on my SEL, the headlights come on. But since I don't have the automatic headlight option, as soon as I turn the car on, they go off. Obviously there is a photocell somewhere in the car to detect that it's dark outside. Are there any mods that will allow my headlights to automatically turn on at night without me touching the switch? I haven't touched a headlight switch in seven years, but when I traded in my old Pontiac, I find myself driving sometimes without my headlights on.

2. With the HID conversion kits (5000k, etc.) are there any bad side effects, such as overheating the wiring harness or melting of the plastic headlight assembly?

·
Registered
982 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=91112.msg1765261#msg1765261 date=1191812180]
They don't turn on in the daytime too? Mine do it night and day.
[/quote]

My '07 headlights come on with the unlock key at any time of the day, not just at night, as well.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=swooshUSN link=topic=91112.msg1765689#msg1765689 date=1191843433]
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=91112.msg1765261#msg1765261 date=1191812180]
They don't turn on in the daytime too? Mine do it night and day.
[/quote]

My '07 headlights come on with the unlock key at any time of the day, not just at night, as well.
[/quote]

Mine operates like peek's, they only come on in low light situations. I do, however, have automatic headlights.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=peek link=topic=91112.msg1765098#msg1765098 date=1191808923]
Two questions:

1. When I hit the unlock on my remote at night to unlock the doors on my SEL, the headlights come on. But since I don't have the automatic headlight option, as soon as I turn the car on, they go off. Obviously there is a photocell somewhere in the car to detect that it's dark outside. Are there any mods that will allow my headlights to automatically turn on at night without me touching the switch? I haven't touched a headlight switch in seven years, but when I traded in my old Pontiac, I find myself driving sometimes without my headlights on.

2. With the HID conversion kits (5000k, etc.) are there any bad side effects, such as overheating the wiring harness or melting of the plastic headlight assembly?
[/quote]

Hi peek. :wavey: This may seem like a silly question, but I have to ask. Are you sure your car does not have the Auto On/Off Headlamps? To use the feature you do need to turn the headlamp switch to the "Automatic" setting (one click to the left of the "Off" position, counterclockwise). The car does not come from the factory with the headlights set to "Automatic".

You say you have an SEL, what year is your Fusion? The Auto On/Off feature is listed as standard equipment on the 2008's. The Ford website no longer lists the 2007's equipment packages, so I can't check on those. However, I don't recall it being an added feature for 2008, so there would be a good chance it was standard in previous years.

Check your headlight switch to see if you can turn it to the left.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I remember reading something about setting how long you want the lights to come on or don't come on when you unlock the doors etc... in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have an 07 SEL and mine come on only in low light conditions. I also have the auto lamp option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unfortunately, there isn't a position to the left on my headlight switch. I read the manual (which is admittedly rare for me) and it mentioned the same thing, with the caveat "if equipped". So, I checked, and it's not there. I thought that was really odd, for the lights to come on automatically when the remote is clicked, but not have the auto headlamp option. I'll double check it, just in case I had a brain fart or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 06 Fusion SE and mine come one whenever I unlock the doors. When I was test driving other cars like the 06 Taurus their lights did the same thing and they did not have Auto-headlights. I think it is some kind of security feature. I do like when I come out of my house at 4:30am and un-lock my doors my lights come on and I can see the walk to my car, plus anything that might be in the yard. I checked today at work, with the other people that have a Fusion. All of their lights come on too when they un-lock the door this was at 11:30am with Sun. One was an 07 AWD and the other an 08 AWD. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Early batch '06 SE here... mine come on whenever I unlock the doors, day or night. When I lock the doors, my blinkers, front rear and side (modded) flash once, day or night.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Peek,

My car has DRL's and when I unlock the doors with the fob, the lights come on too. When I start the car, the headlights come off right away. When I take the hand brake off the DRL's turn on. It doesn't sound like you have DRL's. If you don't have auto lights, then there is no photo cell. Ford has just designed the headlights to turn off automatically once the car has started. I too find it strange that the SEL didn't come standard with the auto light feature but perhaps this was added later. My only suggestion would be to buy an after market kit which turns you lights on for you all of the time. I never tested it out, nor am I 100% sure about the features on your particular year, but mine has the battery saver feature which is suppose to turn off any accessories i.e. headlights, interior lights etc. left on after the car has been locked. This feature is suppose to kick in after a few minutes, but once again I've never tried this myself.

To answer your 2nd question, HID's actually operate are lower temperatures then hologens. I too am interested in doing the plug & play conversion and have done a lot of research on a number of sites and have not come accross any melting harnesses. I think I know where you were headed with this question as I remember a story about some guy buying aftermarket bulbs and the temperature they operated at was higher than the normal OEM lights and caused the harness to melt. This case definitely was not due to HID's, it was a guy who wanted the HID look without paying the money for HID's and ended up have to replace the whole wiring harness.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its part of your cars security feature. Your interior lights and exteriors lights come on until you get into the car and start it. They added it so if its dark you can see your car better and also see if there is an unwanted person or thing inside your car waiting for you! you can also actually put and auto lamp switch in the car (buy one from ford or get one off another fusion) and the automatic light function will work, HOWEVER when you get out of your car they will not turn off. At least thats the experience that I ahve had. The only reason I know this is because I work at a body shop and they jacked my headlight switch to putin some ladys car because it had to go that day and we couldnt get a new switch in fast enough. her switch had auto lamps mine didnt. it works its just not fully functional!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I have an 06 SE I4. I wanted to put fog lights in it cuz it doesn't have any right now. But I heard that aftermarket fog lights are awful so i wanted to get the genuine Ford fog light installation kit. I've called a bunch of ford dealers and no one has the kit as an accessory kit that i can buy. Can anyone help me out?

Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, so far, one person (thanks 06MerlotSE) has given me a suggestion on mods.
Just for review, my lights come on when I hit the unlock on the fob, but ONLY at NIGHT. Therefore, there is definitely a photocell.
Does anyone know the part number of the headlight switch with the auto feature?

As to my other question, no one has given any negative feedback as to potential problems with the HID conversions. Are there none?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Peek,

With regards to your two problems: 1) as for the headlights I have no clue why your lights would only come on at night when you use the fob to unlock the doors. 2) There are countless potential problems with an HID conversion. However, there doesn't seem to be any consistent problems. Once you install the HID kit, you will have to re-align your lights to reduce the glare for oncoming traffic which seems common to all who do the conversion.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps I mis-stated my "problem". I do not believe it to be a problem that the lights come on at night when I use the fob to unlock the car. I expect that is normal behavior. The original question was how to modify the light circuit so that I could have auto-on headlights anytime it's dark and I am driving the car. Does anyone else have a mod to support this conversion? Is it as simple as changing the switch to one with the auto-on position to the far left?

As to the HID conversion, since there are numerous trouble spots, I'll hold off on that.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Has anyone tried to replace their swith with an auto headlamp switch? $38 at rock auto, I may give it a try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.