FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big time forum guy and we always tell the noobies to do a search, so I am searching. Only problem is I am in a hurry. I am picking up my 2007 se fusion tomorrow and we are debating on if we are going to get the wheels from the dealer or not. I can get them at wholesale price on my own, but I dont know how much it would cost to get them put on. By this I mean the dealer was telling me that the 07 has a tire pressure sensing system and that I would need new bands and sensors. Is this true or bullsh1t. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have an 06 and there is no such beast. I am 99.9 percent sure this was not on the 07 either. Perhaps the Lincoln version, but not an SE Fusion. This sounds like one stupid salesman. Ask to speak to someone who knows what they are doing and knows the car they are selling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an 07 and this is true. I had to have mine put into my new rims and tires when they were put on. The dealer took care of all this for me. This is no bullsh*t...........

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=decibels5 link=topic=82676.msg1542962#msg1542962 date=1183947101]
I am a big time forum guy and we always tell the noobies to do a search, so I am searching. Only problem is I am in a hurry. I am picking up my 2007 se fusion tomorrow and we are debating on if we are going to get the wheels from the dealer or not. I can get them at wholesale price on my own, but I dont know how much it would cost to get them put on. By this I mean the dealer was telling me that the 07 has a tire pressure sensing system and that I would need new bands and sensors. Is this true or bullsh1t. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Hi decibels. :wavey: There is no "factory" tire pressure monitoring system on the Fusion for 2007 (or 2006). Perhaps the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) the Dealer is talking about is a Dealer added option?

A standard TPMS is being added to the 2008 models, but they are not on the Dealer lots yet..

The only other possibility I can think of is that Ford is making the changeover to the 2008 TPMS as a running change on the assembly line, and some late model year 2007 have the system? This does happen sometimes with model year to model year equipment changes.

So, the only three possibilities I can think of at the moment would be:
1 - The Dealer is mistaken, since there is no "factory" tire pressure monitoring system on 2006 or 2007 Fusions/Milans/MKZ's.
2 - The Fusion you are looking at has a "Dealer added" TPMS.
3 - You are lucky enough to be getting a 2007 with a 2008 running change TPMS.

Ask the Dealer what the case is for your particular car. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Working for discount tire i see quite a bit of this. On almost every ford made 07+ will have band style sensors, yes you will need to switch them from wheel to wheel, so on and so forth. You will just need to replace the bands, the sensors them selfs can pop in and out.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=82676.msg1544992#msg1544992 date=1184015829]
[/quote]

Hi decibels. :wavey: There is no "factory" tire pressure monitoring system on the Fusion for 2007 (or 2006). Perhaps the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) the Dealer is talking about is a Dealer added option?

A standard TPMS is being added to the 2008 models, but they are not on the Dealer lots yet..

The only other possibility I can think of is that Ford is making the changeover to the 2008 TPMS as a running change on the assembly line, and some late model year 2007 have the system? This does happen sometimes with model year to model year equipment changes.

1 - The Dealer is mistaken, since there is no "factory" tire pressure monitoring system on 2006 or 2007 Fusions/Milans/MKZ's.

[/quote]Mine has it 02/07 fusion, friend at tire shop showed me, luckily haven't had to find out if it works or not yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=82676.msg1657073#msg1657073 date=1187657960]
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=82676.msg1544992#msg1544992 date=1184015829]
[/quote]

[/quote]Mine has it 02/07 fusion, friend at tire shop showed me, luckily haven't had to find out if it works or not yet.
[/quote]

Hi kevjur. :wavey: As I replied above, there are three possibilities. If you have a TPMS on your Fusion built in 2/07, it would either be a Dealer or aftermarket added, or you were lucky enough to get a 2007 with a 2008 running change (would seem remote, as February would be very early for a 2008 running change).

The Ford website still does not list a TPMS as available on the 2007 Fusion, only the Explorer and Escape.

Does your Owners Manual give any information as to the workings of the TPMS? I would assume it would need to be addressed in the Manual. If you have a chance, can you let us know what pages discuss how to use the system?

Thanks kevjur. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
best way to find out if your system is operable, turn the key on and look for this icon (!), if that does not light up on your dash, you do not have tpms. I dont care what anyone tells you, if that light does not illuminate on initial startup of your vehicle, then you do not have them. I have put a ton of wheels on these and have yet to see an 07 with the sensors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have not seen any fusions come into the dealership yet with tpms. Like sandog said if you have it you will see the (!) on the dash or flatten one tire a bout 10 psi and see if msg comes on msg center. Still never seen a factory fusion with it yet tho..

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I just put my new wheels on and drove it. All these sensors they are adding to these new vehicles are making do-it-yourself mods extinct.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Mine doesn't have it after all. Checked the light on the dash, it's there, but doesn't light up. Kind of pisses me off after the sales woman made such a big deal about it when I bought the car, not that it was a huge selling point or anything. When she told me about it I was kind of wondering what a pain in the ass it was going to be in the winter if the car is sitting outside for an extended amount of time, cold weather/low tire pressure. Contrary to popular belief, Northern Saskatchewan gets a little chilly in winter.

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=82676.msg1662560#msg1662560 date=1187827614]
I was kind of wondering what a pain in the ass it was going to be in the winter if the car is sitting outside for an extended amount of time, cold weather/low tire pressure.
[/quote]

If it's so cold that the pressure is below the trigger point of the sensor, then you really should have more air in them. The range of the sensors is quite large, so if you put enough air in that it won't be set off on a cold morning, it won't get set off on the high side when they're warmed up. Besides, all it does is beep at you, a good reminder that you need to take it easy until everything is warm anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Hi all! :wavey: Waldo is 100% correct. Your tire pressure should be adjusted so that it is correct when the tires are cold (before being driven. So if your tires psi is low first thing in the morning before you drive (whether in winter, spring, summer or fall), you need to adjust your pressure higher accordingly.

A tire will lose/gain approximately 1psi for every 10F degree decrease/increase in ambient temperature.

Good luck! :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.