FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Fusion Sport with AWD and, so far, I really like the car, but I’ve noticed a couple of issues and I have no idea what may be causing them.

First, and more importantly, I was driving the car today and noticed a large “drain” on the power. It happened three times in a round-trip 20-or-so-mile trip. The first two times, it felt a little bit like the AC compressor was kicking in, but the power drain was much stronger than should be the case when that happens. The third time, it felt almost like the driver’s-side front brake was engaging, except that there was no pull to the left. The third time was also much stronger than the first two.

Each time it happened, I was de-celerating... I had just taken my foot off the accelerator, but had not yet applied it to the brake.

Also, I don’t know whether or not it’s related, but there is an intermittent shudder in the drivetrain that’s occurs only when I’m accelerating. I’m not sure of the cause of this issue, but I think it may be either loose or bad engine or transmission mounts.

The person I bought the car from told me that she had just replaced the transmission and the transfer case a couple of weeks before I bought the car (with used parts from a reputable parts source).

Second, and obviously less importantly, the on-board compass is not working. I calibrated it and it goes through the calibration process normally, but the reading stays on “N” without ever changing, regardless of the direction the car is facing. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this, or any ideas how tofix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Alan in Virginia

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Fusion Sport with AWD and, so far, I really like the car, but I’ve noticed a couple of issues and I have no idea what may be causing them.

First, and more importantly, I was driving the car today and noticed a large “drain” on the power. It happened three times in a round-trip 20-or-so-mile trip. The first two times, it felt a little bit like the AC compressor was kicking in, but the power drain was much stronger than should be the case when that happens. The third time, it felt almost like the driver’s-side front brake was engaging, except that there was no pull to the left. The third time was also much stronger than the first two.

Each time it happened, I was de-celerating... I had just taken my foot off the accelerator, but had not yet applied it to the brake.

Also, I don’t know whether or not it’s related, but there is an intermittent shudder in the drivetrain that’s occurs only when I’m accelerating. I’m not sure of the cause of this issue, but I think it may be either loose or bad engine or transmission mounts.

The person I bought the car from told me that she had just replaced the transmission and the transfer case a couple of weeks before I bought the car (with used parts from a reputable parts source).

Second, and obviously less importantly, the on-board compass is not working. I calibrated it and it goes through the calibration process normally, but the reading stays on “N” without ever changing, regardless of the direction the car is facing. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this, or any ideas how tofix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Alan in Virginia
Hi Alan. Any Check Engine or other warning lights illuminating? You can have stored codes even if there are no warning lights. You can also take your car to most big box auto stores (i.e AutoZone etc.) and they will read stored codes for free.

The truth is, there is not enough information to even begin to give any sort of accurate diagnosis. And even with more information, blind Internet diagnosis is iffy at best, and totally inaccurate at worst. Unfortunately, it sounds like you will need a Ford Dealer or independent shop/tech to take a look at your Fusion Sport.

I realize it is too late now, but did you have your Fusion inspected by a reliable tech mechanic before purchasing? Especially since the transmission/transfer case was replaced. Common sense might point towards that being a possible underlying issue.

Post back after having your car checked for codes. If there are any, we may be able to point you in some sort of direction.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alan. Any Check Engine or other warning lights illuminating? You can have stored codes even if there are no warning lights. You can also take your car to most big box auto stores (i.e AutoZone etc.) and they will read stored codes for free.

The truth is, there is not enough information to even begin to give any sort of accurate diagnosis. And even with more information, blind Internet diagnosis is iffy at best, and totally inaccurate at worst. Unfortunately, it sounds like you will need a Ford Dealer or independent shop/tech to take a look at your Fusion Sport.

I realize it is too late now, but did you have your Fusion inspected by a reliable tech mechanic before purchasing? Especially since the transmission/transfer case was replaced. Common sense might point towards that being a possible underlying issue.

Post back after having your car checked for codes. If there are any, we may be able to point you in some sort of direction.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Thanks.
I have a diagnostic scanner and checked the car before I bought it. There are no codes stored. Although I probably should have had a trained technician check the car beforehand, I am fairly knowledgeable about cars myself and checked the car thoroughly before the purchase. It wasn’t doing anything unusual at that time and extremely infrequently since.

I’m beginning to think that the problem I described has less to do with the drivetrain and more to do with the steering and/or suspension. I believe the steering rack may be slipping because the steering wheel is “crooked,” but not always in the same direction. Occasionally, it favors the right-hand side, and other times, it favors the left. There have also been a few occasions when I turned the wheel and the steering didn’t seem to respond as quickly as it normally does (I hope that description makes sense).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts