FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have been reading throughout the forums frequently about the different engine mods and exhaust mods you can put on your fusion, and to be quite honest, I am jealous, and I want them too :)

I do have a few questions though, and would definitely appreciate it if some of you could help out a newb :)

Exhaust Questions:

1. When doing an exhaust modification, will it void the warranty of your car (I purchased the 5 year/75,000 mile warranty). To my best knowledge I THINK that doing this would only void the warranty on the exhaust.

2. When doing the magnaflow catback modification (this is the one I want), will this make my car fail when it comes due for emissions inspection? As far as I know, in my area the only exhaust inspection is they look at your gas cap to make sure its on right, and make sure there is no rust in your exhaust.

3. Is the catback system REALLY worth it? Or would it be more efficient to just simply go with 2 magnaflow mufflers and tips?

4. Is there a catalytic converter in the magnaflow system? Or when I remove my old system do I use the ones that came with that? (I am probably just going to let a muffler/exhaust shop handle the installation).

Engine Questions:

1. I am looking at going with the JUSNES Intake and the Bamachips 3-tunes. I know that I can just simply revert to the original flash on the car with this, which is neat for when you have to goto the dealer. But aside from that, is there anything about leaving the intake on for inspection that would result in me failing?

I've done searches on the above questions, and I can't find an answer that fits my liking, so I apologize if the post was written before, I was just not able to find it.

I appreciate any advice that ANYONE here has :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Exhaust:
1. Ahh, the age old question. The short answer is no. But you are correct, the dealership will not cover the exhaust system if you go modifying it from stock. Will it void your entire new vehicle's warranty? It could, if the dealership was able to prove without a doubt that your bolt-on exhaust caused (part X) to fail, which is near impossible. If your dealer gives you a hard time, go to a new dealer.

2. No. It is not replacing the exhaust parts that account for emissions control, only those for sound reduction. The catalytic converter and oxygen sensors remain stock and intact, and will not affect emissions at all. I have heard about some states (like Cali) having a "visual inspection" when it comes to exhaust parts, and there it may become sticky, but still not that much because the emissions-control components remain stock.

3. The cat-back is basically two mufflers with tips, they just happen to bolt on at a convenient spot up near the catalytic converter, instead of having them welded in place of the stock mufflers. Not knowing the stock diameter of the straight pipe, I do not know if there are real gains to be had skipping this step or not (going all the way to the cat, or just doing mufflers). The largest exhaust restriction, however, occurs within the catalytic converter itself , and within the exhaust headers...so I doubt there will be quantifiable gains.

4. As stated above, it bolts AFTER the cat (hence cat-back), and you retain your stock cat. You could do it yourself easily with a socket set and a couple of jack stands.

Engine:
1. No, the intake would not cause you to fail emissions inspection (which I assume you are indicating), and neither would the engine tune. You would want to flash the car back to stock before having any major work done by a dealer (if necessary) just in case they decide to update your Ford-provided engine software from a Service Bulletin or similar. It would save you time down the road.

I have the Jusnes Xcal2 three pack and LOVE it tons. I am looking into getting the preliminary intake now, "as we speak" :D I can vouch for that. And, having experience with the product and what it can do, Bob Jusnes is giving you great results for the money.

Almost no modification can totally void your warranty outright other than supercharging/turbocharging. These minor "bolt-on" modifications are perfectly legal and allowed as each customer has a right to customize their car and service. You can find more information on the subject at: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60852

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks seawolf..

I think you've answered all of my questions :)

Do you have the magnaflow catback system? or did you just go with new mufflers? or did you leave it stock?

Im curious to see if it is something that I can do. I used to have a 03 mustang cobra but it wouldn't move in the winter, and got bad gas mileage. With the magnaflow that I have heard, it definately ALMOST sounds like a stock 8cyl mustang (w/o borla, etc... lol). It would definately make me feel more at ease with the purchase of my fusion.

I do have jackstands, and a floorjack, is there any cutting involved with the stock system at all? or is it all just bolted together..

·
Registered
584 Posts
On the Fusion, so far, I have left it stock and have been playing with ECU and air intake upgrades. Getting the new mufflers means having a "drone" inside the car, and I drive quite a bit in one day and would find the added noise annoying on the freeway.
(this coming from a guy who had traded in a turbocharged Focus with a 3" no-cat exhaust, for the Fusion. Darn thing was LOUD! :shock:)

You shouldn't have to cut the stock exhaust, necessairly, if you can lift the car high enough to gain the most "wiggle-room" and possibly unbolt some suspension bits. Since you are dealing with a lot of piping curving around complex parts, it may be easier to make a strategic cut, though, to make it easier for you. On my Focus, I ended up cutting off the stock exhaust as it bent to go over the rear suspension bits, which made life a lot easier. It will cut with a hacksaw, but I recommend using a Sawzall or similar. Rent one for $25, and save yourself the $$. After the old stuff is off, you would use the stock exhaust hangers and the supplied hardware to bolt-up the new Magnaflow exhaust in no time.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The Magnaflow is a bolt on, the factory exhaust just unbolts as well. (Same hangers, etc...). If you're worried about your warranty, I got Ford to install mine.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
So, if I am looking for a performance gain and help the engine breathe better on the exhaust side, which Magnaflows should I go with?

I DO NOT want loud.

I can handle the ride being a little rougher because of the Eibachs that I am going to install soon, but a muffler drone or just a noisy muffler inside my car at all will really tick me off.

·
Registered
840 Posts
with intake and exhaust comes some added "ompfh" to sound. BUT, if i have my windows up, i can barely hear my engine unless i really romp on it. i have the streeda intake, and magnaflow exhaust on my 06 sel I4 Manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts