FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I finally got my ride back after the dealer scratching both of my front rims and the front of the body kit, and now it’s time to put on the springs.

I’m planning on installing the springs myself, so I asked the dealers service department in they could align the car for me. The service man told me they could, but I need to purchase a camber/caster kit for the vehicle.

Out of all the people on here who have lowered their vehicles I don’t remember anyone saying they had to install one of these kits. Is this true, and maybe this service guy didn’t know what he was talking about? :screwy: When it comes to alignment I am quiet inept. :dunno:

If it is true and someone knows where I can purchase this stuff please let me know. I will be lowering it on Thursday and need to know this so I can get it aligned on Friday. Keep in mind I have 20” rims. Do I need something special because of that??????

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
if you want perfect alignment, then yes. Most people on here have very very slight camber wear on their tires that can be easily remedied by regular rotations. But you really dont need it, and the guy that is telling you that you do, prolly is saying that to cover his ass.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=80195.msg1480014#msg1480014 date=1181634633]
if you want perfect alignment, then yes. Most people on here have very very slight camber wear on their tires that can be easily remedied by regular rotations. But you really dont need it, and the guy that is telling you that you do, prolly is saying that to cover his ass.
[/quote]

What are you saying? I don't need an alignment at all?

·
Registered
619 Posts
There is no camber kit for the front, except for some aftermarket ball joints, and caster won't change much by lowering, so there is nothing you need.

Definitely get an alignment though, they can adjust front toe, rear toe and rear camber.

Keep in mind though that with lower, sitffer springs and big, heavier wheels, the car is going to be severely underdamped. It will probably get a little bouncy and shakey, so new shocks should be in your plans.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd be very concerned about any dealer being so stupid as to toss out a generalization that you need a "caster/camber kit." Yes, it's true that lowering does change both caster and camber. But dealers are supposed to know what can be done on the cars they sell, and as of this writing, I am unaware of any "caster/camber kit" for a Fusion. From the factory, the only front end adjustment is toe -- changing the tie rod ends on the steering rack. But there is no adustment for either caster or camber, and no such "kit." Caster CAN be adjusted by installing various combinations of Ford "service" upper A-arms, which give (+/0/-) 4 degrees of caster, and which theoretically give you numerous left-to-right caster settings when installed on the left or the right. But IMHO it's not really a satisfactory solution, since it is not infinitely adjustable, meaning if one of the factory combos doesn't make your car drive straight, you're theoretically out of luck. (Plus you'd probably spend a zillion dollars having the dealer's dumb Goober Pile mechanic order and install all the combinations trying to find one that works). Camber can be made adjustable, by using upper ball joints from SPC (which were really made for the Mazda6, and which are based on designs for Honda ricers). You just replace the factory upper ball joint with an adjustable one, which allows you to move the top of the tire in or out from the car. There's also some indication that the whole front subframe can be shifted to tweak the settings, but that's hardly a substitute for having real adjustments. But the bottom line is that if the dealer is telling you some B.S. about a caster/camber kit, I'd seriously consider taking my car elsewhere before they run up a big bill for nothing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unfortunately you talked to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I just lowered my Milan and I did not need to adjust any camber settings at all. Just some slight toe adjustments. Find a shop in your area and talk to the alignment tech if possible. He's doing the alignment. Don't let some idiot service writer take your business away. Your alignment will be as good as the tech is, it has nothing to do with the service guy/gal. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts