FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Ford Fusion Sport 3.5 200,000 Miles

I'm hoping someone could help me out as I'm perplexed and frustrated. I installed a new high pressure line and PS pump and it steady leaks even before cranking the engine to bleed the system. So it must be a large leak. I'm 90% sure its coming from the pressure line fitting at the pump.

I have two guesses. The first one being the crush washers at the fitting. I did put one crush washer on both sides of the banjo fitting. The pressure line I bought was Sunsong Part Number: 3403953. The difference between this hose and others is that the ends have circular grooves and the others have flat fittings. I'm assuming these grooves are for the crush washers to bite into. Problem is the torque spec is about 40 lbs. That isn't much torque and when I pull it back off, the copper washers barely have an indentation. I did order some crush washers with rubber seals but those wont be in for a couple days.

My second guess is the pressure switch. I noticed a random O-ring in my driveway and I cannot remember if I replaced the O-ring on the pressure switch when I took it off the old pump and put on new pump. I would have to back the pump back off to look.

Short summary, brand new pump/hose is leaking. That is before the system is pressurized so this must be a large hole for the leak.

Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The manual doesn't show the pressure switch being removed, so no details there:
On brakes with the banjo bolt and ribs, I usually do see marks on the copper washers, even without needing to really crank down on it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Wheel Automotive design

It does reiterate the fact that once removed, the washers (and banjo bolt, that is new to me) need replaced
NOTICE: A new banjo bolt and new seals must be installed any time the power steering pressure line is disconnected from the power steering pump or a fluid leak may occur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The manual doesn't show the pressure switch being removed, so no details there:
On brakes with the banjo bolt and ribs, I usually do see marks on the copper washers, even without needing to really crank down on it.
View attachment 105650
It does reiterate the fact that once removed, the washers (and banjo bolt, that is new to me) need replaced

Thanks for the reply. You are right, I did see that washers and banjo bolts need to be replaced. I did replace the washers but no I did not replace banjos. I'd have to order from a ford dealer since I did not see them readily available. Maybe I can try Amazon. But, its quite the leak, and that's before being pressurized. So this has got be something significant. I replaced the washers twice now with the same result. The leak appears to be coming from that but I also cant rule out the switch because I cant see the switch from the firewall nor bottom. Ill try to take it off and see if there's anything obvious. Other than that, stuck.... Still cant imagine that great of a leak even after tightning down the high pressure line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be the pressure switch look at it real close
Thanks man. Going get me one of those telescoping mirrors when I get off work since the switch is not visible. I'm praying the switch is the answer because if it isn't, that means the pressure line on the rack will leak once I start the car. Had to drop the frame for that side, so I'm hoping not to repeat that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts