FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I wouldn't touch that kit with a 10 foot pole.. 400 is not enough money for a turbo kit.. if you want to go turbo, either build a custom kit yourself, or look into fusionturbos.com when they release the turbo kit. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=nfgsurf7 link=topic=182143.msg3859062#msg3859062 date=1289776235]
to turbo or not to turbo?! this is the question

[/quote]

WTF?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think he Photoshopped a turbo under the hood just for fun... :lol:

$400 might be a good deal for an intercooler, piping, and those silicon hose connectors though; but I wouldn't use the turbo that comes with it. This is simply a cheap universal turbo kit slapped together with 'Ford Fusion' in the title to get your attention: There is no exhaust manifold, no MAF housing, no fuel injectors, and no tuning of any kind...all the parts that would be Brand/Model specific. You would be better off buying everything separately on your own. At least then, you can control the quality and fit.

I love turbo power, but personally, turbocharging a v6 Fusion that was never meant to be turbo'd, without aftermarket support is A> Difficult, and B> expensive. If fusionturbos.com does come up with a solution, great...but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

You could make nice-nice with a Ford employee and price out as many parts from an EcoBoost engine you can...might be a good start. At least you could get an exhaust manifold, intercooler, etc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
lol im not one of those phony guys who acts like i have something when i dont... heres for you non believers :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
100% agree with u biggee. I just don't think it's worth the time and effort to put on a fusion. My post was just food for thought I guess lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
wait, what? why are you guys so quick to dismiss a turbo option so quickly? Yes, the ebay one posted is obviously a "universal" POS but any vehicle can be turbo'd safely we just need our very own "Tune god". I belong to Focus fanatics "FF" and our local tune God is "Toms" from Focus Power. He works with 2.0 reg zetecs, 2.0-2.3 duratecs. None of these engines were "made to be turbo'd but many thousands have been with no issues. You guys just need enough interest shown and someone will step up to do the tuning and get a kit going. I personally would lean more towards a sc but a turbo should be fairly easy (for someone that knows what they're doing) to make up as well. The only question is with the tranny, what hp and (more importantly) torque could our tranny handle? worse comes to worse, if enough interest is shown, maybe Lentech could make a good at for us...maybe even a torsen or quiafe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
[quote author=cpeq link=topic=182143.msg3891653#msg3891653 date=1293390460]
I can barely get my V6 FWD to hook now-but if'n I had AWD--heh heh heh heh !
[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Yes, that would be a great start, but again the problem is getting it to run right. A few companies I have contacted (just for fun) absolutely refuse to tune a turbo'd Fusion. Because no one has released a baseline to modify off of. There are only a handful of Turbo Fusions out there and those tunes are not available to the public. Your best bet for a tune would be to get in contact with someone who has their car already tuned IE EGZ and hope they can get you a copy and then hope it works on your car as well. Most likely it won't though because you will have different components. Not to be a Debbie downer, I just want to make sure that everyone considering this knows what they are up against. I would LOVE a turbo, and my next car WILL have one either from factory or aftermarket because I am a turbo junkie, I just don't see it happening on a Fusion easily or cheaply.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Most (including me) thought that initial boost would be a big problem for the tranny to deal with but with the right tuning my car punches straight to 9.5lbs boost right off the bat and the engine and trans holds it down with great success. It does build up an additional 1 - 2 lbs boost beyond that but it goes almost full boost under load right off the get. So I wouldn't say a turbo would be impossible. You could probably use the tune I run with small differences and run the same boost. I don't see why it wouldn't work but then again I don't know a lot about the trans tuning they are doing.

Just my thoughts tho.

·
Registered
840 Posts
tuning for superchargers and turbos is 150% different.

Tuning between different types of superchargers is different as well. Theirs a huge difference between a centrifugal and roots type setup.

a roots type blower would be the easiest to tune for. Its a linear power curve that would respond well with the motor. Where as a turbo or centri setup would require more tuning in upper RPM.

Due to the higher RPM power increase, the trans would require heavy adjustments to be able to figure out shifts based on power and how fast they're coming and which gear to shift.

And for the love of god, do not buy an ebay turbo kit for your car. you're just asking for trouble. the turbo i just bought for my WRX USED was 500 bucks and i'll have to clean it up and remove a broken stud on it. i wouldn't trust a "full turbo kit" on ebay for any amount of money.

I'll be the real debbie downer here and say this. I gave my car to my dad because the potential in performance on the Fusion is extremely low. there is no after market and if you want to be unique and do something different it costs way more then its worth in the end. The manual trans on the 06-08 models is made of glass practically. it cant handle power really well and its running an open diff which means even if you do start to make some power, you're only using one wheel to put it down.

Mod the car for what its worth, a nice looking daily driver. I bought my WRX for 6k used with 160k on the clock. I've put less then $1000 total (500ish for performance, the other for suspension and maintenance) into it and i've went from the stock 160'ish whp to around 250whp (thats a 14.6 to a 13.6 in the quarter mile) and a redone front suspension (sway bar, end links, all new polyurethane bushings, and low roll center / adjustable tie rod ends and ball joints.) With another 600 bucks im investing, the car will be @ 350/60whp. and another 1.5k and i'll be on coilovers and new wheels/tires (17x9 +30).

For the fusion to hit 350 whp w/ suspension i've done... you'd have to spend at least 10k to make it be driveable daily without having to worry about something breaking.

The Nautalis SC Fusion has a lot more time and money in it then what people think.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I cannot speak for the turbo but the vortech v9 (cent) and this eaton mp90 (roots) are extremely similar save engine differences. To say the tuning is that off is hard to believe. I could understand trans programing but not stft/ltft and so on... There is a good bit of money invested into it but that is so you don't have to as a consumer. It is a well built kit for the proto and for what it's capable of well worth the coin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts