FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It'll never happen but could it? Hartley enterprises has created a V8 using two Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle engines. The result is a 2.8l V8 producing 400hp! it revs to 10000rpm! Torque is 245 at 7500rpm. Just wondering if this would work since its small enough it seems to fit (sligtly smaller than fusion V6) and its as light as a I4 at 200lbs!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Anything is possible! A V8 would be sweet.

BTW... I was expecting another one of these pics when I opened this

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably need to add to the price tag since this motor runs 30k by itself so I dunno maybe add 10k+ to the fusion for this?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The 4.4L Yamaha V8 is as close to a V8 as we will get. Ford will only throw one into a Fusion if they have an excess of these motors during a period of demand for a higher performance Fusion, and that wont happen IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since the Fusion is their new NASCAR vehicle, I wouldnt say a V8 was never going to happen. Not probable, but not impossible. There was a V8 Taurus for a short time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You know what would be cool. A Fusion V8 3.4L using the defunct Taurus SHO V8 tuned to 280hp. Not many cars in the Fusion's class wear a V8 symbol. I know the 3.4 wasn't the greatest engine in terms of performance, but with variable cam timing and DFI, and a 6 speed trans, it could have been a very nice option. Fusion V8 has a nice ring to it!

[quote author=otaku link=topic=78005.msg1423929#msg1423929 date=1179622584]
It'll never happen but could it? Hartley enterprises has created a V8 using two Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle engines. The result is a 2.8l V8 producing 400hp! it revs to 10000rpm! Torque is 245 at 7500rpm. Just wondering if this would work since its small enough it seems to fit (sligtly smaller than fusion V6) and its as light as a I4 at 200lbs!
[/quote]

·
Registered
615 Posts
There was a cam shaft problem with the 3.4 sho motor, to high of rpm's made vibration. They should just go with a more reliable motor like the 3.9 v8 that was in the Lincoln Ls.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes either of the v8s you guys mention would be great and it would give us yet another thing to brag about having that others in this class don't (AWD, 6spd!) and V8!?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
With enough time and money anything will fit into anything. In high school a friends and i installed a yamaha 750 into a 3 wheel golf car. then anther friend and his dad put a supercharged 351 Cleveland into an Opel GT. I think the motor was heavier than the car. But again with enough time and money anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=albeys06 link=topic=78005.msg1612426#msg1612426 date=1186261483]
There was a cam shaft problem with the 3.4 sho motor, to high of rpm's made vibration. They should just go with a more reliable motor like the 3.9 v8 that was in the Lincoln Ls.
[/quote]
Yeah, those 3.4Ls tore through camshafts almost as bad as the 3.8Ls did with headgaskets.

Do I see a V8 Fusion? No way. Most people who drive our cars probably wouldn't bother with a V8, much less a HO V6. Sure, it'd be a great option, but you kind of have to be practical here. In my neck of the woods, I can almost guarantee you that 4 out of the 5 Fusions you see are I4s.

...And personally, I'd rather see Ford put a V8 in the Taurus first.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Right, the idea of putting a V8 into a Fusion is slim to none. This seems to be Fords big "alternative energy" car. Everything that an Escape will see, the Fusion will see. So these experimental Fuel Flexible hybrids, the hydrogen/hyseries, and when we roll over to the EUCD, diesel/diesel hybrids are all priority on this model, not muscle car performance.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=78005.msg1620981#msg1620981 date=1186555986]
Right, the idea of putting a V8 into a Fusion is slim to none. This seems to be Fords big "alternative energy" car. Everything that an Escape will see, the Fusion will see. So these experimental Fuel Flexible hybrids, the hydrogen/hyseries, and when we roll over to the EUCD, diesel/diesel hybrids are all priority on this model, not muscle car performance.
[/quote]

agreed

·
Registered
619 Posts
The 3.4 V8 tuned to 280hp or the 3.9 which was also about 280hp or even the 4.4L Volvo V8 at about 320hp really aren't that much different then the Duratec 37 V6 which will be around 280hp. And you know that already fits, since it's basically the same as the 3.5 in the MKZ.

The only reason to have a V8 would be so you could say you have a V8, they're would be no performance benefit. They've already decided they don't need to have a V8 in the flagship Lincoln MKS, so I doubt they'd think the Fusion needs one.

·
Registered
799 Posts
otaku,

The Suzuki 'Busa engine(s) has impressive output given it's size and weight but is designed to move and deal with the stress of moving a 550lb bike. The engine would blow if you had it in a 3,100lb car - the cases, crank and rods couldn't handle the stress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts