·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I figured that much. Plus, not sure if the tran can handle the 360+ horses the engine will give.

It would certainly create one heck of a sleeper at the track.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I would be more interested in using the manifolds and turbos from the SHO to make a custom twin turbo kit.

That's just me. No dealing with engine mounts, transmissions, or electrical.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But is there room in the bay to get both turbo's on? I know that in my engine bay it's rediculously tight and not sure if the length of pipe for the turbo's would be efficient at all. There is definitely enough room to run an intercooler, but I don't see one on the SHO; does it have one?

·
Registered
720 Posts
But is there room in the bay to get both turbo's on? I know that in my engine bay it's rediculously tight and not sure if the length of pipe for the turbo's would be efficient at all. There is definitely enough room to run an intercooler, but I don't see one on the SHO; does it have one?

I'd like to think that they'll fit. There is a pretty decent amount of room front and rear for the stuff (FWD, not AWD).

I think with some strategic piping, it could be done. The factory SHO turbos are pretty small.

I do think the SHO has an intercooler, but I don't remember, honestly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Rear mount would probably be the best..

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Is there a possibility to fit this beast into the Fusion's engine bay? Not sure about motor mounts, wiring, or even physical space.
Hi andrew.:wavey: No, the 3.5L EcoBoost engine does not fit in our engine bay (2006-2012 Fusion/MKZ/Milan). Don't remember the exact reason/reasons, (i.e. hood clearance and/or left, right, front, rear engine bay clearance), but it will not fit without engine bay/hood/suspension component modification. And that would all be the prelude to the nightmares of replacing the trans (ours will not handle the torque), PCM/ECM/TCM reprogramming or replacement, etc. etc..

Good luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes mine is the 3.5 AWD. I think the AWD will give me the biggest issue using the manifold that comes off the rear block, that is if all the bolts line up etc...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
it would be cheaper to have a turbo shop custom fab a unit than try to make that work. at the risk of detonating the trans. ooooorrrrrr for the $9k your going to spend you can buy a nice 2000+ gt that will walk a fusion every which way to sunday. fusion=not fast make her look pretty or buy a fast car.

·
Registered
720 Posts
it would be cheaper to have a turbo shop custom fab a unit than try to make that work. at the risk of detonating the trans. ooooorrrrrr for the $9k your going to spend you can buy a nice 2000+ gt that will walk a fusion every which way to sunday. fusion=not fast make her look pretty or buy a fast car.
My car will keep up with a 99-10 GT in a straight line.

At Autocross events, Mustangs with similar mods get murdered by my car.

All depends on the definition of "fast".

:lol:

·
Registered
720 Posts
How is it that a car with less power and more weight is faster?
Mine? Well curb weight on a 2010 Mustang and 2010 Fusion Sport FWD is within 100 lbs of each other.

263 vs 315 bhp. Not a ton of difference.

Maybe better driver? I just know that I haven't had a Mustang beat me at an Autocross day.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm curious to how my Fusion does against my Cousins 2010 GT once I get my CAI and tune sorted.

Auto cross doesn't surprise me at all, mustangs are harder to drive around a tight autox course. Plus suspension mods help a bunch! Driver is a huge deal with autox, I'm my old Cougar with the stock 2.5L bolt ons and springs I was being fully caged turbo imports bc those kids can't drive.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Mine? Well curb weight on a 2010 Mustang and 2010 Fusion Sport FWD is within 100 lbs of each other.

Maybe better driver? I just know that I haven't had a Mustang beat me at an Autocross day.

wow :shocked: your car runs mid 13's (I need to go trade in for a sport) a stock out of the box 2010 mustang runs 13.5-13.7 in the 1/4 mile

drag times lists fusion sports around the 14.655-15 second time range.

a 2000 mustang gt will run flat 14's all day $1000 in upgrades its an ultra high 12's, low 13 second car all day.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

Mustang V8.......FWD Fusion Sport...% Difference
3533 lbs............3591 lbs...............1.6%
315 BHP............263 BHP...............(18%)
325 Ft/lb...........249 Ft/lb..............(26.5%)

Sorry but I just can't believe that you can even come close to a V8 in a straight line unless he is launching in 2nd or 3rd. You just can't make up for a lack of 52 hp and 76 ft/lbs. There is just no way you can make up for over a 25% difference in torque and almost 20% difference in hp, with only a 1.6% difference in weight. Honestly I don't even see a Fusion Sport even being able to beat a Focus ST in a straight line with those numbers.

Auto-X I would believe you would beat him since the Fusions can turn like crazy and the Stangs are really only good in a straight line from factory.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Yea, I figured that much. Plus, not sure if the tran can handle the 360+ horses the engine will give.

It would certainly create one heck of a sleeper at the track.
I doubt the trans would even mate between the two engines without a custom adapter. You would for sure need an entire SHO underbody to make it work, and even then you would need a lot of custom parts and one off adapters. Plus you might even need to expand the front of the car to make it fit. I think the Taurus has a wider engine bay than the Fusions but I am not at all positive on that. I know it is longer though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts