FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....

Thinking about upgrading my Milan Premier to the Pioneer Avic D-3. I'm sure this has been done, but I was curious if the steering wheel controls still worked. If I upgrade, I will also put in the iPod connector and the Bluetooth adapter for cell phones. Any thoughts, comments, or concerns from another point of view would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You need to buy an add on to keep the steering wheel controls in service.
I have a the Avic-D3 and I absolutely love it!!! Get it, you wont be disapointed, trust me!

·
Registered
505 Posts
>>here<< is an example of what you'll need to retain steering wheel controls. that model is a wired model that plugs into a remote jack on the back of the head unit, I would recommend that one over the universal models (which require you to run/mount an infared transmitter to control it like a wireless remote control).

a big advantage of these steering wheel control interface modules is that you get you program your steering wheel buttons. you can program them to do what they did with the factory head unit, or you can program your own functions.

:csweeney:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info coming in so far. Very much appreciated. If I do the Avic, I will probably order the Pioneer wire kits for the steering wheel and the Bluetooth. Where is everyone putting the antenna for the GPS system? I really like the sleek look of the car and don't want something that takes away from that look.

Also looking at a backup camera license plate frame to wire into the Avic.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My antenna is on the passenger rear roof right near where the rubber seals run between the doors and roof. It blends in with the black rubber, you cant even see it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have my GPS antenna and my XM sat radio antenna on the rear deck under the carpet. they both work great there and since they're hidden under the carpet nobody can see them. perfect for maintaining that "sleek" look ;)

oh and BTW, you may want to reconsider the license plate mounted camera, they never look good. I don't have the D3 so I'm not sure what options you have, but if it's a standard RCA input then you have a nice selection of cameras to choose from, get the smallest outdoor camera you can find. a good quality camera doesn't need night vision either. look for one with less than 1 lux min. the Fusion's massive reverse lights provide all the backup lighting you need.

I bought a tiny waterproof camera on eBay and mounted it above the license plate in-between the 2 license plate lights. to run the wire, i just filed a small notch in the right license plate light housing so that I wouldn't have to drill through the sheet metal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone's information has been fantastic!! I can not thank you guys enough for you assistance. Do you guys have any pics of what the antennas look like on the deck??

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=Cloneme2 link=topic=96122.msg1891189#msg1891189 date=1196608816]
have any pics of what the antennas look like on the deck??
[/quote]
there's really nothing to take a picture of. if I took at picture all you would see is the rear deck carpet, exactly the same as you would see in the back of your car. as I mentioned earlier it's under the carpet, so you can't see it.

the antennas that come with modern SAT radio tuners are about the size of a [US$] quarter, and they're only about 3/8" thick (not thick enough to make a bulge in the carpet. nobody would ever know it's there but you ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts