FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes.... I am debating on weather I want to get the Pioneer AVIC-D3. Does anyone have some good install pics? If you have installed this or a similar unit.... how did you get the factory amp to work with the Audiophile system? I want to install this and keep the rest stock (for now). This unit looks like it has just what I want for the price. I refuse to dump 2 grand for the ford factory Nav unit. Thanks for the help.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069681_369264980,00.html

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Circuit city has it on sale on their website for $889

·
Registered
153 Posts
I installed one of these in my Zephyr but I replaced the factory amps. I also added a Kicker 12" L5. I kept the front and rear speakers stock and I'm running them all off a 5-channel Kicker ZX700.5 amp. You could use a 5 channel amp with your factory speakers and sub.

·
Registered
221 Posts
pics from zephyr install please??

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=NaplesBill link=topic=75315.msg1358692#msg1358692 date=1177356039]
I installed one of these in my Zephyr but I replaced the factory amps. I also added a Kicker 12" L5. I kept the front and rear speakers stock and I'm running them all off a 5-channel Kicker ZX700.5 amp. You could use a 5 channel amp with your factory speakers and sub.
[/quote]

Bill.... Do you have any pics you can post? Just curious to how it looks in the factory hole.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry guys, I haven't taken any pics yet. I am hoping to finish up the install this week. I'm off work for a few days so I should have time. I'll get you guys some pics asap. I will say that it really looks stock. In the case of a Zephyr, if you don't have factory NAV then you'll need to either order the factory NAV bezel or break out the dremel. I used a dremel on mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey gang, I posted pictures of mine under the double Din DVD topic..check it out..it is awesome!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=Fusion Phil link=topic=75315.msg1364097#msg1364097 date=1177520686]
Hey gang, I posted pictures of mine under the double Din DVD topic..check it out..it is awesome!
[/quote]

Phil.... Do you have any larger pics? A link to your cardomain will work as well. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you hook up the VSS wire anywhere? I'm doing my install this weekend and have not gotten any promising word on anything but a wheel speed sensor. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is my understanding that you need some sort of module to get vss on the CD3 platform. I didn't bother with it. It's dead on with MPH and tracking without it. The D3 has a learning sensor that is extremely accurate.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=NaplesBill link=topic=75315.msg1380116#msg1380116 date=1178119052]
It is my understanding that you need some sort of module to get vss on the CD3 platform. I didn't bother with it. It's dead on with MPH and tracking without it. The D3 has a learning sensor that is extremely accurate.
[/quote]

I was thinking that maybe they have this hooked up so you can't mess with the GPS while driving. (just a thought) I may be ordering this next week.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Umm...if you haven't bought the Avic D3 yet, then maybe you need to research it a lil more. I've heard from two people who install them that they are really poorly designed for what they are supposed to do. They recommended the Z series instead of the D series. I don't have any technical information whatsoever to back up that claim, but they DID NOT like the D series when I mentioned it to them!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are pros and cons to EVERY indash nav system. If you want a hdd based system then the z series is a good option. For the price of the D3 it is an awesome HU. The biggest con on the D3 is there is only a single DVD drive. This means you have to remove the NAV DVD in order to watch a movie. This is not really a big issue at all if you have an iPod. The iPod controls on the D3 are outstanding. Also, once you plot a route, removing the DVD will automatically put the unit into "memory nav" mode. So you can watch a movie and have nav at the same time. Also, bypassing the parking brake lockout is incredibly easy. The D3 also boots up much faster than the z series. For the difference in price between the D3 and Z2 you can buy an iPod and a DVD changer.

Just go to www.avic411.com and read through the forums there.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the D3 because of the price & ipod integration. For the little bit I really drive my car I can't see spending $1500-$2000 on something that I will use for my 5 min daily commute.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts